Nightwing

Members
  • Content count

    279
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

1696 Adventurer

About Nightwing

  • Rank
    Enlightened
  • Birthday

Recent Profile Visitors

351 profile views
  1. After watching Sorastro's Zombicide painting videos, I had to give Army Painter's Strong Tone a try. Here are the results. I didn't spend any time highlighting after the strong tone, except the hair. He he reminds me of the opening scene of Walking Dead with the solitary zombie walking through the fields.
  2. I left the "S" indicators off of the floor plan where the secret doors are. I figured that if I actually run tSSoSM adventure again and use this ship for that section of the module, the secret doors wouldn't be right there staring the players in the face. It it is a great module! I remember my big brother running that adventure with me and my friends. The haunted house and the ship are both deeply embedded in my memory.
  3. Here is the finished Sea Ghost. This is the ship detailed in the AD&D module U1, The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh. I have worked her up to-scale, 1" = 5'. Each deck is separable so that below deck action can be carried out. The bottom deck can be flipped over to show the bilge floor plan. I've put a 1" grid on each deck and painted in the walls and doors. You can see the WIP photos in the WIP forum if you're interested. I'm considering making a sloop and a treasure galley, too. But if I do that won't be for a couple months. Need to take a break and dig up some nice deck plans. I hope you like her! My group begins a pirates D&D game this week! The game begins with our characters having just been dumped off in Jamaica for various offenses committed in England. My character, Simon Kershaw, was a shipwright's assistant in England. When the Master shipwright used (and took credit for) one of Simon's ideas for an improvement to a ship design, Simon set fire to the ship before it left the harbor, thus earning himself a spot aboard the prison ship... Suggestions for improvement welcome!
  4. The black and white scheme is working well. You're right in your assessment that the black and the wood could use a little something extra, and the skin could go up another shade or two in the highlighting. The white is excellent, except at the very bottom of the dress in the deep folds, which are either too dark or the wrong color (I'm colorblind, so I don't know which.) The hair and gold and white details are really nice. I really like this color scheme. I think I'm going to use it. ;)
  5. She is almost done. She still needs the crow's nest, anchor winch, and I'll add a couple decorative lanterns. I won't put sails on just because that would obstruct view during play.
  6. All the railings are on.
  7. Added some railings and stairs.
  8. Yes.
  9. This is the Sea Ghost from AD&D module U1: the sinister secret of saltmarsh. It will hopefully be used in my group's upcoming D&D pirates campaign set in 1600's Jamaica. Its layers will be separable, with each surface being a sort of game board for each deck of the ship, from forecastle/poop, to main deck, to cargo deck, to bilge. I'm going to try to pin the layers together so they don't just fall apart by using the mast and rudder to keep the layers aligned when they are stacked. It is made of 3/4" polystyrene insulation sheets, cut, stacked, and sanded down with a belt sander. In the end it will have paint and probably balsa wood details. That's the Barnabas Frost mini that I posted in the show-off forum standing on the deck in a few of the photos.
  10. We are starting a pirate campaign this week. I whipped this mini up as a gift for the game master of the Boot Hill/Call of Cthulu mashup game that we just finished two weeks ago. I'm also building a to-scale pirate ship for this campaign. Stay tuned for that. Will post photos in a few days when it's complete. I hope you enjoy!
  11. Another weird thing: most of the undead creatures from the box set have similar pose; right arm raised and left arm tucked in. The sculptor must have started with the same model and modified poses only slightly before sculpting the bodies.
  12. I used testers contour putty to fill in the plastic base, using a pen like a rolling pin to make it flat. The I slapped on washes of white, black, and tan in stripes across the base, letting them mix together at the boundaries. After that dried, I used a fine brush to put black and white veins across it, then washed again, then applied more veins again. It gives the impression that there are multiple layers in the marble. I used the same technique on my drow queen.
  13. This mummy was hungry when he woke up. He is now snacking on the poor adventurer who woke him. He is making a mess on the mable floor of his tomb as he is tracking the blood around and dribbling on the floor. The pose was a bit strange with one hand held up and one hand near his face, so I tried to make sense of it by putting a big bloody hunk of meat in his outstretched hand. It's a bit gratuitous, but I'm ok with some gratuitous gore once in a while. If I ever use it in a D&D game, he is definitely tearing someone's arm off on a "natural 20."