The lamp is highlighting it a bit, unfortunately. Most if it is the paint though. I can't quite get the photography aspect correct.
I paint eyes like so:
1. I slightly thin down some Grey Liner from Reaper with water.
2. Use a Windsor & Newton Series 7, Size 1 brush and load the preferred amount of paint.
3. Get my hands in position for the attack.
4. Hold breath.
5. Carefully attempt to darken the whole eye socket. Coming from the side works best instead of going straight in. Loading the brush with the correct amount of paint is obviously key. Steady hands help also.
6. I then thin down some white paint and dot either side of where the pupil would be.
I've found this is what works best for me. The process of darkening the eye, then whitening the inside while leaving a black outline, then creating the pupil with a black dot always seems to turn into a disaster when I attempt it.