Pupdate 5- 5000+ Backers, dogs in YOUR game world and alignment chart
HI everyone! Russ here with another Pupdate for the weekend and, my goodness, what a few days…
We are now a canine community of over 5000 people ready to let the dogs loose in their game worlds! That is incredible, there is no other word for it! Again, and sorry to sound like a stuck record, but I am truly grateful at the faith each of you has shown in the project
So…how DO you release dogs into your game world?
The core idea behind the rules we are creating for Animal Adventures: Tales of Dungeons and Doggies is that you can run a whole canine world if you wish, BUT we intended to make it really easy to incorporate dog characters into standard D&D campaigns and parties, fighting and adventuring alongside their elven, dwarven and other kindred souls.
To that end the companion contains a series of hooks and ideas for the impact that intelligent dogs might have on a world, from the deity worship we touched on yesterday to blacksmiths who specialise in dog-compatible armour and weapon modifications! We also touch on languages, as players can determine the means by which their dog communicates- do you speak on Common, or are you just REALLY good at letting people know the kids have fallen in the old well?
It is our intention that you can decide how common or otherwise dogs are in your game. My own campaign has them as rare, but around in enough numbers that you could have several in one party. But if you chose to make your doggy adventurer the first of her kind, that’s supported as well.
The magic items we are including will reflect this as well- some of them are useful but utilitarian items but there are a couple of legendary items which could seed the origin of intelligent dogs into the foundation of your world’s lore. The emphasis really is on you using the information as best suits your own needs.
In support of this, we have introduced a new Character Background, the Awakened Animal for creating characters. We present the initial playtest version this below and welcome any feedback you have. This could be adapted to other animals over time but has a distinctly doggy flavour right now!
Background : Awakened Animal
You are a self aware, fully sentient member of a species usually only recognised as possessing ‘animal level’ intelligence. How did such a thing occur? Some animals are exposed to arcane or divine elements that change them, some may have been deliberately altered or experimented upon, whilst others may simply be born... Different.
Regardless of the exact circumstances of your awakening, you have determined that the life of a mute companion and pet is not for you. The one place in this world where the unique and extraordinary have a chance to realise their ambition and seek answers is the path of adventure, compelling you out into the wider world.
You still retain a deeply held desire to be of use and benefit to those around you. Now, equipped with a perspective on the world few of your kind ever possess, you have set your paws on an incredible journey...
Skill Proficiencies: Insight, Persuasion Languages: any one Equipment: An object relating to your awakening, such as the worn scroll you slept under as a puppy or a locket with the image of the family you were born to. A well chewed toy. 1d6 gp of scrounged valuables.
Feature: A friend by every fireside.
You can use the vast and often unregarded population of dogs that is found throughout society to your advantage. You are always aware of the local canine population and can seek information about the locality and goings on from the many dogs you encounter. By sniffing popular places and scents, you can learn instantly limited information about a place such as quality of water and food supplies, population levels, general mood and atmosphere. Furthermore, you can usually find a friendly local dog who can help you seek safe and welcoming accommodation, food and shelter.
Suggested personality traits.
Dogs, awakened or otherwise, are shaped by their history of development alongside the sentient races as companions and allies. Your personality is likely to reflect this history and your ideals will tend towards selflessness and the maintaining the welfare of those you see as your pack, as well as an instinctive desire to aid and comfort. Your bonds are often people or favourite objects that have great value and meaning. Your flaws may be related to being overprotective to the point of jealousy, or a deeply buried resentment at the way dogs have been treated by some unsavoury aspects of society, which conflicts with your other drives and emotions.
Personality trait 1d8
1. I tend to the dramatic, as a creature of impulse I have few middle gears and often narrate my circumstances with great flair and florid expression.
2. I dislike conflict and try to be a calming mediator, seeking common ground in conflict.
3. I have a tendency to diffuse tension with humour and love doing silly tricks to make people like me.
4. When in a new place, I have a need to... Establish my ownership...
5. I am the one who charges into every situation with gusto, rarely stopping to think about consequences.
6. I get bored easily if I'm not the centre of attention.
7. I love to play more than anything, be it racing around with children or more cerebral fare.
8. I'm constantly delighted by fooling people into thinking I'm a normal dog, and I'm not against using this to my advantage.
1. Selflessness. I believe in self sacrifice and unhesitating action to improve the lives of others.
2. Aid. My skills are a gift to the world and I must assist in endeavours where I can be of use.
3. Family. Nothing is more important than the people we love. I'd do anything to keep family together.
4. Comfort. I cannot stand to see a creature in pain and will act within my power to provide succour and lift spirits.
5. Knowledge. I have a unique gift and perspective, and I must share that, and further my knowledge of the world so maybe more like me can follow.
6. Change. My enhanced understanding of the world shows me many injustices. I have a deep desire to enact change within the world order, one day at a time.
1. The magical writings of my lost master gave me this gift, now I bear them to the place they must be laid.
2. The one who did this to me did not expect me to escape. But my return will be even more shocking.
3. When the one who made me this way set off on their long quest, they were ignorant of what they had given me. I will find them and together we will achieve greatness.
4. I made a promise that the child I knew as a pup would always be safe. I work towards that still.
5. This object may look like junk, but it is the last tie to a lost past. One day I will return that past to the world.
6. There are others like me, for I am their kin. I will seek them out no matter what.
1. I cannot escape the loneliness I feel as a singular intelligence among animals and long to meet another like myself.
2. Deep down, I am angry at the way my species is treated and I am easily offended by condescending attitudes or perceived cruelties.
3. I fear losing my companions and so I can react to strangers with mistrust and even aggression.
4. I regard myself as a superior version of my kind, and I am prone to forcing non sentient dogs into submission.
5. I've never let go of my basic instincts and can be the cause of social awkwardness with my canine behaviour.
6. My willingness to trust and follow people, even strangers, means I am easily led into compromising scenarios.
And lastly, one of our lovely backers, Monica, shared this brilliant dog alignment chart with us! Whilst I am not POSITIVE this will make it through playtesting, I thought you would enjoy seeing it as it made all of us chuckle!
How amazing is this!?