Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'flagstones'.
Found 2 results
After a lot of work and patience ... not to mention delays for surgery and rehab ... I present to you: The Old Way A diorama display base made from a cork mat (coaster, under plants, hot pad). If you followed the WIP then you know the story behind the piece but here's a revised summary ... "The Old Way â€¦ that road found in post-apocalyptic, fantasy societies that the current society has no clue how they made it. Once the road way in this piece was created by such builders that it lasted for millennia. At least until the water changed course and eroded the road bed and shifted the land. Now there are only small reminders of the once great society in a wondrous slice of creek bed." And a recap of what went into it ... The foundation are two cork rounds atop MDF. The land is made with more cork added to create the higher points. Ground red foam foliage surrounds a sculpted tree stump. A small pool of water sits atop the small hillock jutting into the creek. Flagstone pavers still remain clustered together for strength showing the shards of the Old Way. The creek bed is made from actual sand and the flora and moss in the water is more ground foam. Realistic Water covers the creek bed and pool of water. Now for photos ... Top views ... Close ups of the creek bed ... As always I appreciate any comments or suggestions and would be happy to answer any questions regarding the piece.
The Old Way. I can't count the times I've read a book or story with "The Old Road" in it. You know the one ... with perfectly paved stones and only a century has finally brought it close to becoming overgrown. This is one such road ... yet time wasn't the only culprit this time. No, this time water had its part to play. So I took a second 4" cork round and after some brief consideration about how much was water and how much was land, I started removing the cork. I left a lot of the cork for shallow water but I also took the cork right down to the MDF. Then with my shape made and excess cork removed, i added more cork to the project. I continued building up the land gluing in layers of cork. And yes, it looks like a s'more. The flagstone on the pieces is left over from my brick making for the Ankheg. Once the glue was set, I roughed up the edges. I tried to blend all of the layers of cork. The last thing I did once I had shaped everything was coat it in a glue wash to help make it more solid. Next ... priming and basecoating. Stay tuned. Ps... now the s'more is dipped in milk. Heh.