Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'newb'.



More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


Forums

  • Reaper Discussion
    • FAQs 'n Stuff
    • News
    • Reaper General
    • Chronoscope
    • Bones Miniatures & Legendary Encounters
    • ReaperCon
  • Craft Corner
    • Show Off
    • Painting Tips & Advice
    • Works In Progress
    • Speed / Army / Tabletop Techniques
    • Shutterbug
    • Conversions, Presentation, and Terrain
    • Sculpting
    • Mini Exchanges and Paint Contests
  • Reaper Games
    • CAV
    • Warlord
  • General Discussion
    • General Fantasy
    • General Sci-Fi
    • General Modern / Historical
    • Kickstarter
    • Off-Topic Rampancy
  • The Sandbox
    • The Gathering
    • The Playing
    • Fiction, Poetry, and Other Abuses

Calendars

  • Reaper

Found 5 results

  1. Ok so I'm 5 months from 40 and never painted a model in my life. But a group of friends and I have recently started a D&D 5e campaign on guys trip and really got into it. However it soon became apparent that stick pins and grid board suck. So i wanted to get some minis for our game.... I was looking at pre paints but those are few and far between or over priced so watched a few Youtube videos... got an itch and firgured why the hell not.... so since i live in bumfuq nowhere i ordered from amazon and ebay the types of figures i needed for our characters a dwarf cleric, elf ranger, and elf mage.... i started with the dwarf, figured it would be easier as my friend likes alliance in WoW and always plays dwarfs but soon learned metal paints are a pain in the rump to me. the elf i did last night and i think i see improvement over the dwarf attempt. though seeing pictures brought out the flaws i hope fix before clear coating either one. i was in such a newbie rush i primed before triming the extra mold lines on the elf but really i seem to be missing the trick even with a new knife blade the lines seem to splinter or split and not come off the model. maybe i need files? seems like there were alot of defects on these plastic minis... my mage is metal and much better and detailed. Please let me know what you think and where i may need to ficus my attention to improve. Oh and any and all tips on mold line/imperfection removal definately appreciated :-)
  2. I need help. I bought an airbrush - Badger Patriot 105. Bought an appropriate compressor, inline moisture trap, paint, cleaning supplies, etc. I set up a dedicated area to use it and contain any over-spray. But there it sits. Unused. Not for a lack of want. But I've certainly been avoiding it. I watch videos, but the more I watch the more I get psyched out. I know I just need to pick it up and put some paint through it, but I can't figure out how to break though. Advice would be appreciated.
  3. Alrighty... My first official WIP thread yay...... So, I today I'm supposed to be studying for a test but I decided to take a paint break. SO, I picked a figure that looked fun and stuff... For reasons that are possibly classified, (lol, inside joke...) my storm giant whom for the moment I will call Flynn (not his official name) is missing an arm. I started putting flesh on him and then a bit of NMM and then I decided on some red fabric Then just a bit more work on the NMM & hair and flesh
  4. So, here's my plan. I'm going to start this WIP thread, so I can track my progress from "terribad" through to "less terribad" I've been painting a few months now, and I've come a fair distance from where I started. Already progressing from "ludicrous-bad" (which I like to call "Plaid") up through "ridiculous-bad" and into "terribad". All of my progress so far has been a little bit of brush control, and a lot of knowledge that I've gleaned from the internet - thinning paints, washing, dry-brushing, and just recently attempting some layering. And I think with a lot of practice, and a lot more determination, and a even more help from you wonderful people, that I might actually be able to turn myself into a decent mini painter. Bear with me, it's gonna be a rough ride.
  5. So I got sidetracked from LPK2 a bit by RL... and a Great Worm. Painted up for tabletop use, I think it turned out pretty well. I keep surprising myself with how not sucky I can be if I take time to actually do it properly. I'm going to list what I used for paints mostly for my own reference than anything else. Body: Based with HD Gem Purple, washed with a mix of HD Twilight Purple and Black Wash. Belly: Base HD Gem Purple, layered up through Clear Magenta, up to HD Entrail Pink Pustule/Bumps: Based with Clear Red, then layered up to HD Fireball Orange, and then spotted with a bit of HD Golden Yellow. Rocks: Based with HD Dirty Grey, washed with a mix of Brown Liner and Black Wash (I really like this mix), Then dry-brushed up HD Dirty Grey, HD Concrete Grey, and finally a mix of HD Concrete Grey, and Sample Tan (a good of a name as any). Mouth: Linen White, washed with the same wash from body, then I decided I didn't like it and did a heavy glaze of Oiled Leather. Teeth: Based HD Tusk Ivory, then highlighted with Linen White. C&C welcome; Thanks :)