Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'painting excuses'.



More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


Forums

  • Reaper Discussion
    • FAQs 'n Stuff
    • News
    • Reaper General
    • Chronoscope
    • Bones Miniatures & Legendary Encounters
    • ReaperCon
  • Craft Corner
    • Show Off
    • Painting Tips & Advice
    • Works In Progress
    • Speed / Army / Tabletop Techniques
    • Shutterbug
    • Conversions, Presentation, and Terrain
    • Sculpting
    • Mini Exchanges and Paint Contests
  • Reaper Games
    • CAV
    • Warlord
  • General Discussion
    • General Fantasy
    • General Sci-Fi
    • General Modern / Historical
    • Kickstarter
    • Off-Topic Rampancy
  • The Sandbox
    • The Gathering
    • The Playing
    • Fiction, Poetry, and Other Abuses

Calendars

  • Reaper

Found 1 result

  1. Okay, so I really wanted to participate in the Painting Excuses: Paint Into A Picture Challenge contest but I just couldn't find the time to get anything done ... until today ... the day before the deadline. Well, after some dithering, I decided I'd still give it the old college try and started working on it today. Unfortunately, I'm probably not going to complete it in time to submit it to the contest since my plan has always involved major mods to my KS1 Bones version of 03547: Juliette, Female Wizard and, as I'd never actually used Green Stuff before, I didn't realize how long it takes for it to cure enough to be sanded and painted (4-5 hours, according to the instructions that came in the tube, with 24 hours to reach full hardness). In any case, since I'm waiting for things to cure up, I figure I would start this thread and post the photo's of what I've already done. First, here's the photo that the finished Juliette is to be placed into. It's kind of large, so I'm hiding it behind a spoiler tag. What I'm doing is converting Juliette into a Japanese Geisha Fan Dancer. My first step was to cut off most of her hair and then use green stuff to turn it into something more like a Geisha's hair style. Then I removed the scroll in her right hand and the scroll pouch hanging off the right side of her belt and used green stuff to smooth out the rough patches left behind. Finally, I decided to give her a high collar and change the top of her blouse from a "keyhole" to be an open, low cut neck line. Next I created two fans for her to hold. I did this by using short wire segments to serve as the ribs of the fan with a thin layer of green stuff laid over them and sculpted to suggest an open fan. So that's what I'm waiting to cure up, but I believe I have shortened the wait a little. I found some advice online noting that green stuff cures faster when in an warmer environment so one can accelerated the process by warming things up a little, even by just aiming a desk lamp at it from a close position. It also noted that some professional sculptors create a little "green stuff oven" using an old coffee can and a desk lamp. Not having a coffee can to hand, I McGyvered something together by lining an empty plastic container with aluminum foil (shiny side visible), putting the figure and the fans in there and then placing my desk lamp right above it. So hopefully things will have cured enough for painting in maybe another half an hour to an hour (I stopped "fiddling" with the various green stuff bits around 5:00 PM PST and it's 7:31 PM PST as I'm typing, so two and a half hours have already
×