Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'playercharacter'.
Found 1 result
Ironhammer posted a topic in Works In ProgressSo I had an occasion to create a new D&D character after a brief hiatus from playing, and I wound up rolling a half orc ranger named Logar Quickarrow, a vociferously proud member of the Bison Clan. Naturally, being the conversion obsessed sort of person I am, I was obliged to fabricate a proper miniature for him. I apologize for a few slightly blurry pictures, as I'm still trying to get used to my current camera (which is cleverly hidden inside my phone). After canvassing Reaper's catalog for half orcs and various iterations thereof, I quickly decided that Skreed Gorewillow by Derek Schubert was by far my favorite. It was merely a matter of transforming him from a spell caster into a ranger. For reference, here is the miniature as it comes from the factory: The first step was to remove both the dagger and the burning flask and make way for his new weapons. Rather than dig around in my parts bin for a matching set of new hands or sculpting a pair from scratch, I decided to simply bore out the existing hands and carve away all the pewter I didn't need and shape it to fit his new weapons. My character uses a shield in his offhand in melee combat, so to reflect this I also cut away the front two flasks on his belt to make room for a shield which will be hung there. Next, I dug around in my parts bin for some suitable weapons. I found an appropriately aggressive looking sword blade which was orphaned from its moorings, however after trimming away a portion of the lower half and rounding it out with a file I created a shaft for it which easily fit inside the hole I had drilled in his hand. I like my figures to have appropriately shaped scabbards for their weapons, so I traced out the outline of the blade onto a sheet of styrene and cut it out as a starting point for making him a matching scabbard. Next, I selected and appropriate bow and quiver. I also dug out a small shield, as my character uses a shield in his the offhand in melee combat. I drilled and pinned the quiver so that it can be mounted on his back where the figure's original sword would have gone. After test fitting the shield, I came to the conclusion that it just didn't sit very well on the front of his belt. So to cover up the damage I did earlier I simply sculpted a satchel where the flasks used to be. I thought about cutting off the empty dagger sheath from the original figure and replacing it with a completely new dagger, however instead I simply sculpted a small nub at the top and called it a day. The idea was that the dagger fits almost entirely inside the sheath itself, much like a dark age Seax or a traditional Finnish hunting knife. At this point I've also drilled and pinned his feet in preparation for basing. I've also tweaked the shape of his right hand by filing and carving it a bit more so that it closely fits around the handle of the bow I picked out for him. Next, I created a base using a very handy texture stamp made by Happy Seppuku. Our campaign takes place in a rather wintery sort of place, so I will go back later and add some small piles of snow to reflect this. In an attempt to mirror the design aesthetic of his dagger sheath, I sculpted the sword scabbard to match with a raised bulge on top of a flatted base. I left it otherwise plain, as I intend to hang the shield on top of the scabbard much like a medieval buckler. Next, I flattened out the nub of his sword with a pair of smooth nosed pliers to create a rough disk shape to serve as the basis for a pommel. I also sculpted a flap on top of his satchel. I then sculpted a fairly basic hilt, using a combination of styles mixing a "viking" type crossguard with a later medieval style disk pommel with a peen block. I also sculpted a small throat around the top of the scabbard to suggest that it is actually hollow on the inside After test fitting the buckler, I realized that a portion of the scabbard was just barely visible underneath. It was probably overkill, but I sculpted a rudimentary belt attachment to fill this gap (because I'm weird that way and can't let things like this go). I then went ahead and glued the shield in place. I then glued the bow into his hand and glued the quiver on his back. I had filed out the opening in his left hand specifically to fit the bow I had chosen for him, so it didn't take much to get it to fit snugly in place. The bottom end of the bow rests directly against the lower part of the figure's clothing, which serves as a useful second anchor point for glueing (he is a tabletop figure after all). For the final step, I took the last bits of putty I had mixed and put them in little piles on his base, which I then stippled to make them look like little piles of snow. Next up is painting!