#16 Enchantra

Enchantra

Godlike

• Members
  • 10545 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 05:34 PM

My Recipe for red hair:

Basecoat in a pinkish light tan.
Streak with a medium brown but do not cover all the pinkish tan.
Repeat the streaking with a reddish brown, an orange-yellow. burgundy, burgundy-brown. By this point the original basecoat should be covered and the other colors should have blended a bit over the basecoat to form a nice vibrant red head of hair. This is how I did the hair on the Allura Conversion and also on LSH's Dice Box.

If it is to bright dull it down with streaks of reddish-brown. If it is to dull add more orange-yellow and burgundy and burgundy-brown.

Sometimes depending on the look I am going for I will go back and add streaks of the original basecoat color.

The Federal Government has sponsored research that has produced a tomato that is perfect in every respect, except that you can't eat it.  We should make every effort to make sure this disease, often referred to as "progress," doesn't spread.  -Andy Rooney

http://www.artfire.c...nchantedRegalia

http://www.pinterest.../amandabielski/

#17 ThePolo

ThePolo

Godlike

• Members
  • 1283 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 09:34 AM

Drow (Dark Elf) Skin recipie (as seen right here.)

The Fleshtone recipe is:

► Base Coat with Reaper Master Series: Midnight Blue
► Wash with GW Black Ink/Future Mix
► Layer with Reaper Master Series: Twilight Blue
► Highlight 'up' to GW Shadow Grey
► Final highlight with VJ Wolf Grey

Took me a few 'falures' to come to that one... the rest ended up too blue, or too black or too grey. I think that's a good mix of the three, right? tongue.gif

The hair is pretty simple:
► VJ Space Wolf Grey
► Wash with GW Blue Ink
► Highlight 'up' to VJ White

Enjoy!

"I have taken all of mediocrity to be my province."
www.thepolo.org

I'm still lurking around somewhere...

#18 skavenbabe

skavenbabe

Geek Goddess

• Members
  • 1244 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 02:05 PM

My blonde hair:

well I started with a really dark brown wash to fill the lines and spaces, but I dont remember which brown I used. Probably VGC charred brown.

Then I layered up with

RMS Tanned Leather
RMS Amber Gold
RMS Golden Blonde
RPS Ivory
and finally some white tidbits for the highest spots

#19 prophet118

prophet118

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 07:51 AM

Oiled and abused leather:

GW Scorched Brown as base coat, then GW Snakebite Leather as a highilight, then some diluted GW Bestial Brown as a wash, then after that dries, another wash of GW Bestial Brown, with a bit of yellow in it.

#20 ecs05norway

ecs05norway

Godlike

• Members
  • 1188 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 01:40 PM

Quick & Dirty Drow Hair:

Paint white.
Black wash.
Layer up with Ghost White.
Wash with Stone grey.
Light drybrush with Ghost White.
-- "Here is the price of freedom: Your every drop of courage, ounce of pain, pint of blood. Paid in advance." -- Andromeda

#21 Jonas Withabee

Jonas Withabee

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 09:44 PM

Old Rusty metal:

Start with a basecoat of black. Then take any dark red (Reaper Blood Red will work; I used Apple Barrel Maroon) and put a heavy drybrush coat over the metal, leaving any pits, dings, etc., black. After it dries, take any bright white metal (Reaper True Silver) and put a light drybrush coating over the maroon. Boom, you're done.

This technique nicely picks out the edges and anywhere else that rust would logically rub off and expose the metal underneath.

Ancient Bronze/Copper:

Also start with a basecoat of black, then take any pale yellow green (I use Apple Barrel Meadow Green, but Reaper Plains, or a 50/50 mix of Spring Yellow and Emerald would probably work) and put a light drybrush over it, again leaving any pits, dents, slashes, etc. black. This gives it a nice Verdigris look, like the Statue of Liberty. I think Bronze and Copper both turn green when they oxidize, but I failed Chemistry.

~J

#22 Rodnik

Rodnik

Godlike

• Members
  • 1622 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 07:48 AM

NMM Ochre Gold, as posted by Kelcore in an earlier thread (just figured I'd post it here):

The new Ochre Golds rule for NMM gold.

09073: Chestnut Gold
09074: Palomino Gold
09075: Buckskin Pale

Throw in Mahagony Brown or Earth Brown for the Darkest shades (as suggested in the new CW) and some Linen White/Pure White for highlights. It's very, very nice.
“Oh my god! I saw the short bus flip over and got worried--I know how you don't like to wear your helmet because it gets in the way when you try to lick the windows.”

"I got a nice new jacket for Christmas. It buckles in the back and let's me hug myself. The problem is it's only available in white."

My Art Stuff

#23 phanboy

phanboy

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 08:13 PM

Found a great copper!

One part Rust brown
Two parts Ancient bronze

Posted Image
What was that clever thing I always say?

#24 Digital M@

Digital M@

Godlike

• GM
  • 4971 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 06:48 PM

From Dark Star. Blond hair

The hair...it's really hard to explain how exactly I do it. I've tried here before, but it comes out like reading an issue of Popular Science devoted to light refraction. I can give you the colors though! Reaper MSP Golden Blonde Triad highlighted with a Linen white thrown in. A little different than my standard Elven Light Blonde, but works well for a nice Human hair color.

Gold

NMM gold take #1: I worked with a basecoat of Muddy Brown, then established some reflections and the skyline with a midtone of Tanned Leather. I mixed in a bit of Marigold yellow and worked through up to Amber Gold, Golden blonde, and White for the highlights. It came out pretty good. The mix needs to be more Ochre to be really good though. It's a nice, old gold type of brown gold, worked well for his armor, but it's not really a "yellow gold" NMM technique.

mini

#25 All-Terrain Monkey

All-Terrain Monkey

Lord of the Ninja Monkeys

• Artists
  • 1530 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 12:15 AM

Here's $0.02 on MSP NMM Gold:

The range of colors I draw from are:

Brown Liner
Muddy Brown
Mahogany Red
Chestnut Brown
Chestnut Gold
Palomino Gold
Buckskin Pale
Pure White

Varying the mixup can change the tone of the gold easily; leaving out Mahogany Red and Chestnut Brown results in a colder gold, leaving out Brown Liner can make it warmer, etc.

The Muddy/Mahogany/Ocher Series/White result can be seen here.
  • gregferrell likes this

John Bonnot, Grandmaster Punster, Reaper Painting VIP, and Suburb-Class Painter. "If you're not cheating, you're not painting." -- Me

#26 battleMountainminis

battleMountainminis

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 04:42 PM

<font color='#ADA96E'>LOL.. sorry didn't mean to offend anyone. I was just implying a sample of normal human skin of caucasian, not meant to point that caucasian people are the normal human  :D

I myself is an Asian, so here we go for the Asian skin tone color. Again all colors I use are GW paints and all the water-paint mixing is still the same as my previous post:

White primer
Wash with Bestial Brown for crevices
Basecoat with Leporous Brown
1st highlight with Bubonic Brown
2nd highlight with 50% Bubonic Brown 50% Elf Flesh
3rd highlight with Elf Flesh (if sharp highlight is desired)

Cheers,
Lili</font>

Found this digging around for asian skintones and it's perfect (yeah Lili) thought I'd move it to the recipe section so it's easier to find ::D:

#27 dewen

dewen

Godlike

• Members
  • 2117 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 06:43 PM

I posted some Nefsokar models from Reaper's Warlord line, which has an Egyptian theme. I received a couple requests for my dark skin recipe and mummy wrap. I am not attempting to win painting contests with these minis. I am simply painting them to get them on the game table looking good. I consider myself a novice having only painted about 30-40 minis in my life (12 of which were mummies for my army ;). 3 steps is usually my rule for game quality minis for a given area like skin, armor, or other major areas on a mini. For smaller areas I apply 2. I have pics to show the results.

I use mostly Vallejo Game Color (VGC) with a couple Vallejo Model Colors (VMC) to expand my selection. All of my Nefsokar models were primed white. There are conversions charts for Games Workshop to Vallejo Game Color. I am not aware of such a chart for the VMC. I get confused on which number to use from the VMC color, so I will use it from their color chart.

Egyptian Skin
Base with 1:1:1 of VGC 44 Dark Fleshtone, VGC 45 Charred Brown, VMC 804 Red Beige and I add some slow dry mixture. I apply a liberal wash of VMC 939 Smoke (transparent). Smoke is also available in the VGC line and I assume they are the same. I layer with 2:1 VGC 44 Dark Fleshtone, VMC 804 Red Beige. You can layer and work towards more VMC 804 Red Beige in the layer mix until you get the effect you want or decide enough is enough. I only applied one. That is only 3 steps to Egyptian skin.

Mummy Wrap
VMC 837 Pale Sand (that’s what my bottle said, the chart says Sand Light) thinned to almost a wash with a slow dry, flow aid mixture similar to those posted by experts in Reapers painting tips. I really don't even start with a base. I use the white primer as the base and apply washes. Another application thinned in the same manner of 1:1 VMC 837 Pale Sand and VMC 875 Beige Brown. A final application thinned with just flow aid to get into the creases of the wrap with VMC 939 Smoke (transparent). The Smoke is great stuff. 3 steps to mummy wrap.

Here are my results.
Posted ImagePosted Image
- de Each of us experience a Crisis Point in our lives. Who is your hero?

#28 Frankthedm

Frankthedm

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3226 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 08:27 PM

Found this site for more colour info
http://www.whisperin...m/ColorTemp.htm

"Life gives you lemons you make lemonade, Life gives you whales... whale burgers." -Cadaver

#29 angus147258

angus147258

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 04:35 PM

This is a great black-steel recipe I found.
Base with Blue liner (9066)
Shade with pure black (9037)
highlight with a mix of BL (9066), rainy gray(9038) and snow shadow (9021)
highlight with a mix of RG (9038) and SS (9021)
Highlight with a mix of Misty Gray (9090) and ghost white (9063)
finish with a pure white highlight (9039)

thanks!
Jake

#30 Vaitalla

Vaitalla

Godlike

• Reaper User
  • 2804 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 10:24 AM

First, let me say that I find it extremly ironic to be starting this when in reality I often prefer demi-metallics to NMM. Oh well. Here you go, Tomash--I'll start with the one recipe, and perhaps others can chime in. Keep it short if possible, folks, so we can squish a lot of info in!

My latest NMM gold:

1. Basecoat Uniform Brown:Russet Brown:Harvest Brown at a ratio of 4:1:1 or so
2. Darkest Shadow Russet Brown
3. First Highlight 50/50 basecoat mix and Palomino Gold
4. Second Highlight Palomino Gold:Clear Yellow:White at 4:2:1 ratio or thereabouts
5. Third Highlight 50/50 mix of the second highlight and white...add a drop of Clear Yellow for a little more vibrancy if it needs it
6. Glaze with Intense Brown or Brown Ink to warm everything up and smooth layers. You can either just glaze the basecoat/shadows area or glaze the whole thing if you like! I usually do just the shadows.
7. Re-apply Third Highlight if necessary to brighten (if you glazed everything)
8. Final Highlight Pure White

Item numbers: Uniform Brown 9127, Russet Brown 9199, Harvest Brown 9200, Palomino Gold 9074, Clear Yellow 9095, Intense Brown 9138, Pure White 9039.

--Anne

"I have some acetone in the car if you need it." -- Jennifer Haley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users