Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:07 AM

Some steel NMM:

Basecoat with 9066 Blue Liner
Highlight with 9019 Midnight Blue
Highlight with 9020 Twilight Blue
Highlight with 9021 Snow Shadow
Highlight with 9063 Ghost White
Final Highlight 9039 Pure White

Optional -- glaze with 9081 Pale Indigo.

Example

#32 Cerridwyn1st

Cerridwyn1st

Godlike

• Black Lightning
  • 1432 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 02:44 PM

Theirry's Paint Chart

I put this chart together some time ago. It lists "recipies" used by Theirry Husser on Confrontation models he had painted.

#33 Cerridwyn1st

Cerridwyn1st

Godlike

• Black Lightning
  • 1432 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:46 AM

I copied this from another thread, and thought it would be a good addition here. I'm changing the recipe posted elsewhere just a bit, with the addition of paint to the mix.

Don't forget your base coat for the metals. How you do it depends on how much time you want to spend layering. Mix 3 drops water, 3 drops gloss varnish (Vallejo is great but Plaid will do), one drop of DARK metallic, one drop dark paint and one drop of ink. For silver/pewter, use Adimantine Black, Pure Black and Black Ink. For gold/bronze, use one drop Scortched Metal, one drop Brown/Black and one drop brown ink.

There will be very little metal flake in this mix, but that's fine. Put a coat or two of this on the metallic areas and allow to dry.

If you want to be really over the top, gradually mix lighter metallics into your original color and layer up just as you would for any layered technique. If you are in more of a hurry, just drybrush from dark to light (such as Blackened Steel to True Silver.) Your metals will look far, far better than they would if you just glopped undiluted metallic paint down.

If you're wondering how I came up with this, here's the story. Last year I went to Gen Con and met Richard (can't remember the last name ATM). Richard had this fantastic way of layering metals. He would start with a very thin mix of inks and metal over black primer. There was very little metalic particle in the base coat. He would add in more, lighter colored metal and layer up. The end result was absolutely gorgeous.

Problem is, I don't always want to take that much time when using metallic paint. Also, I prefer to use a white primer. So I looked for a way to simplify Richard's method. The method above is it.

If you wish to try the more eleaborate method, start with more additive/ink/paint and less metalic. Layer up as you would in painting from dark to light using regular paints. Use lots of layers, more glazing than painting, and take your time. The end result is astonishing.

Edited by Cerridwyn1st, 22 June 2007 - 08:50 AM.

#34 ReaperShaun

ReaperShaun

Formerly PreFUNk

• Members
  • 1000 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:18 PM

My Blonde Hair

Darkest to lightest

Shield brown
amber gold
golden blond
yellowed bone
linen white
pure white
BL KS005 "Drybrushing is fine". - Anne F.

#35 Vaitalla

Vaitalla

Godlike

• Reaper User
  • 2802 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:51 AM

Copied from a recent post I made on an NMM thread:

Basecoat a 5050 mix of Russet Brown and Palomino Gold
Darkest shadow Russet Brown
First highlight 75/25 mix of Palomino/Russet
Second Highlight pure Palomino...you may want to add a brushful of your previous mix to tone this down a little as pure Palomino is BRIGHT!
Third Highlight 50/50 Palomino/Clear Yellow with a drop of White added
Fourth Highlight keep adding white
Final highlight Pure White
If your gold is too yellow, glaze with Saffron Sunset to deepen and add compexity to the color.

For silver/steel, you can use any neutral or bluish greys, even some purple or greenish greys if you wish. The color should be mostly grey. Use Grey Liner for your darkest shadows and add Pure White in successive steps for highlights.

All NMM needs to go up to Pure White highlights. ::):

Hope that helps!

--Anne ::D:

"I have some acetone in the car if you need it." -- Jennifer Haley

#36 mathewbaich

mathewbaich

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 12:47 PM

here's a new skin recipe I recently came up with:

Final(pop) Highlight: 1:1 of RMS Fair skin and Linen white

1st Highlight: 1:1:1/2 of RMS fair skin, Rosie Skin and a half drop of sunlight Yellow

Base coat: 1:1:1:1/2 of RMS Golden skin, Rosie Skin, Tanned skin, and a half drop of violet red

1st shadow: 1:1:1:1 of RMS Golden shadow, Rosie shadow, violet red and dusky grape

2nd shadow: 2:2:2:1:1/2 of RMS Golden shadow, Rosie shadow, violet red, dusky grape and a half drop of P3 Coal Black
Posted Image

#37 Maltique

Maltique

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 619 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:59 PM

I found this in an old post and wanted to add it here. It is handy since I use Reaper and so many of these formulas use others

http://colors.silicon-dragons.com/

"The opposite of war isn't peace, it's creation!"

#38 demonelf3

demonelf3

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 01:38 PM

This is from a drow mini I'm working on at the moment. Little tricky to do, I haven't gotten it perfect yet, but here's a neutral drow skin.

Basecoat: RMS Ashen Brown
Highlight: Add Ghost White, then pure Ghost White
Shadow: Add Clouded Sea, then pure Clouded Sea. Then add Blue Liner to the basecoat and glaze that into the shadows. Then warm it up by glazing brown liner into the shadows.

Optional: highlight a point of pure white.
"A Lannister always pays his debts."

Visit My Website — Now accepting commissions!

#39 demonelf3

demonelf3

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 05:20 PM

Oh my...

http://theminiatures....com/workbench/
"A Lannister always pays his debts."

Visit My Website — Now accepting commissions!

#40 mathewbaich

mathewbaich

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:27 AM

African elephant skin(all colors are RMS colors unless specified):

Basecoat: 1:1:1 of shadowed stone, intense brown and weathered stone

Highlight: 1:1 of intense brown and weathered stone

Shadow: 1:1 of shadowed stone and intense brown

'Pop' Highlight: pure weathered stone

'Pop' Shadow: 1:1 of shadowed stone and intense brown and a tiny bit of P3 Coal Black
Posted Image

#41 jdizzy001

jdizzy001

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

Did I miss a recipe for albino flesh? I tried it once in my past. It worked well.

1. base coat pink

2. add white to pink and begin highlighting

3. add layers with additional white for each layer until you achieve pure white.

check it out

http://www.flickr.co...29512/lightbox/

Edited by jdizzy001, 20 April 2013 - 04:32 PM.

• zoroaster100 likes this

All posts made by jdizzy001, regardless of the thread in which they appear, are opinion and do not represent the principles of any specific group unless indicated as such by said group.

#42 joyserran

joyserran

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:11 AM

I was looking for tips that is safe for kids and I found this post that is really helpful.

Homemade Paint Recipes Safe for Babies and Toddlers

“Creativity takes courage” - Henri Matisse

Fine Arts Paper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users