All-Terrain Monkey

Ceynuundra Aelvari - Elven High Command

Good read fellow Warlord freaks! Maybe you can help...I cannot decide between Elves and Dwarves as my faction. I love quick and deadly, but I've always wanted to play Derfs and found them impossibly bad in other games. RAGE seems to have competitive dwarf possibilities.

Thanks!

Ranz

Mossbeard sez "On-leeeee.....U.....Cannn.....Preeeee......vent.....fooorrr...essst....fires..."

:rock:

I'm pretty much in the same boat yer in. I've been bouncing back and forth between the elves and the dwarves. Its been to the point where I've been collect both armies.

The elves strenghts are range and speed (not to mention a fair amount of magic). Their weakest is melee... outside of the Deathseekers elven melee forces exists to act as speed bumps. One of my favorite models is the centuar (Mov of 11, RAV of 2, RNG 24, and marksman for when doesn't need to run :devil: )

The dwarves strenghts are their fighting skills. They have strong attacks and average DVs. THeir weakness is their speed <_< but in an all dwarven faction the lil' fireplug can get jazzed up by listening to heavy metal (musician upgrade gives the dwarves +2 insteed +1). The shieldmaidens are great for hunting those pesky archers just add lesser armour upgrade making their DV of 11 to a DV of 13 vs. range attack.

Don't forget Mountain God's Breath, a Faction specific spell that ups speed. The fact that most people think of dwarves as slow can play to your advantage if you use a Musician and MGB well.

The Dwarves Bane ability is no joke. Really ganks factions that rely heavily on their Toughness, like Necros and Reven.

As far as making a choice, decide which strategy you really like best and choose that faction. Death from Above with Elves or Meatgrinder Dwarves. As long as you know how to play your faction, they will do equally well on the battlefield.

Oh, and for the Necro player: Take a look at the Fear affects of your faction. They negate Fearless and give other models -2 to Discipline checks. A Scare spell (an AOE fear-causing spell) has the same range as your skelly archers. Hit a group with Scare first and follow with a Volley. You shots versus models that are Shaken are at an effective RAV of 4 instead of 2. Very nasty.

I :wub: the sculpts my Werner Klocke. The elves and dwarves look fantastic and that is another part of the attraction of those two factions. In other games, I usually went for the fast and fragile (Eldar, Dark Eldar, Wolfen, Cryx, Phoenix in Clan War) or the Undead(Vamps and Shadowlands). I always wanted to play Dwarves in WH but they were never good enough for the competitive level of play at the tourneys I attend. Dwarves look solid in Warlord and the entire system seems balanced. I just started painting Thorvald. I plan to finish painting 1000+ of Dwarves and ELves and then collecting either the Necros or Darkspawn. This could end up being a game in which I have no one true love. That will get expensive and more importantly, taxing on my painting time! :lol:

Lord Ranz

Was thinking about hiring a base-coater to help with painting backlog until NYS raised the minimum wage.

I plan to finish painting 1000+ of Dwarves and ELves and then collecting either the Necros or Darkspawn. This could end up being a game in which I have no one true love. That will get expensive and more importantly, taxing on my painting time! :lol:

The great thing (or rather, one of the great things) about Warlord is that you don't have to have one true love, because you can actually afford to field more than one army without totally breaking the bank a la Warhammer et al.

I plan to finish painting 1000+ of Dwarves and ELves and then collecting either the Necros or Darkspawn.  This could end up being a game in which I have no one true love.  That will get expensive and more importantly, taxing on my painting time!  :lol: 

The great thing (or rather, one of the great things) about Warlord is that you don't have to have one true love, because you can actually afford to field more than one army without totally breaking the bank a la Warhammer et al.

I'll second that. It seems to be one of the big things winning people over from Warhammer - that you can afford multiple armies for what one would cost you.

You guys were right!

I had a rematch against the crusaders who trashed me last week and by using the sugestions you guys offered, I had a nice satisfying victory.

Magic is definitely a valuable Elven tool but what I'd underestimated was our ability to move through cover. That's something I'll have to experiment with more.

I have to admit though, watching about 6 crusaders go down with one firestorm is an entertaining sight.

You guys were right!

I had a rematch against the crusaders who trashed me last week and by using the sugestions you guys offered, I had a nice satisfying victory.

Magic is definitely a valuable Elven tool but what I'd underestimated was our ability to move through cover. That's something I'll have to experiment with more.

I have to admit though, watching about 6 crusaders go down with one firestorm is an entertaining sight.

LOL - that's cool. Post your force list; it would be interesting to see.

My force list was basically the same as before with only minor changes.

It was basically:

troop 1 Selwyn as captain, warriors and lysette w/dispel, 2 ice shards and firestorm. Since I was already using spells I bought her the +2 cp upgrade.

troop 2 Selwyn as captain, 3 archers and Caerwin.

troop 3 arnise and 3 deathseekers.

The game went fairly well. I tried to use my archer troop to force his guys to move onto the oposite flank and then with the other troop, I hit them with a very nice firestorm. As his guys advanced I tried to slow them with teh warriors and then hit his survivors with the deathseekers. My records now 1 loss and 3 wins.

Granted, my opponent's fairly skilled strategically. I've been playing these kinds of game with him for a long while and I'm sure I'll have to come up with new tricks for next game.

I also learned one very valuable lesson. Large numbers of arrows are needed to take out highly armoured leaders. Instead, wipe out the soldiers with the arrows and then you'll have the +2 to hit because the leader will be shaken. It's probably a basic strategy, but it's something I need to remember.

Very interesting, CV. I've played troops where I had one unit (Selwyn. Caerwyn & Archers) and another troop (Arnise, Lysette and Deathseekers) and done pretty well. But since I've played the three-troop set up that Golden Eagle suggested, I've really mopped up.

I've also played recently with two troops that had Selwyn/ Ardynn/ Archers/ Deathseekers in one troop and Meridh/ Archers/ Warriors in the other. This also did pretthy well in one on one but not so well for a three player match. I think I would have done better with the GE setup, since it would have given me more grunts at the expense of Ardynn.

Got to say, Ardynn did a good job of slinging spells and wiped out several Orc Archers toe-to-toe, so he is almost worth giving up a troop of archers for.

Ardynn is in fact a great fig to use. My only problem with him is point cost. He's not cheap and if it's the choice of him or Caerwyn, he's got to go.

The GE list certainly looks interesting but I'm wondering if it's the best way to go. From what I've seen, and I'm the first to admit my innexperience, is it not better to have more specialized units? For example, if you have a unit with both melee and ranged attacks, you will have a slightly more versatile unit but at a significant cost.

A melee or ranged unit can be positioned specifically to suit it's role on the table. Ranged troops go somewhat farther and in such a position that they can either drive an enemy out of the area they're covering or just wipe out weaker targets.

Melee troops are better off going where you can hit the enemy physically. This is all fairly obvious.

My worry with a combined melee/ranged unit is that it can only be deployed in one location and that you'll likely have to sacrifice one aspect in favour of the other.

My other concern with the GE list is that it consists of only 2 troops. From what I've seen so far, a list with more troops can have some advantages over a troops with less. More troops means more cards which can be somewhat usefull for initiative. I'm certainly not saying that players should build many weak troops just for the sake of the bonus cards but it's something that should perhaps be kept in mind.

Of course these are just my thoughts and opinions. I mean no disrespect to GE, I'm just trying to find the optimal strategy for the elves.

I mean no disrespect to GE, I'm just trying to find the optimal strategy for the elves.

Hey, this thread's all about coming up with different and better strategies for the Elves in Almirithil. I enjoy when people poke holes in my strategies because they only become stronger when I plug them.

I like Ardynn a lot since I consider him to be a mini-warlord, but for the most part I have to lean towards Lysette instead. Having a more specialized mage for less points wins out when it's a small point game in my book. For larger ones though Ardynn definitely has more staying power, though he really needs a Greater Magic Empowerment to get the most out of those fireballs.

As far as numbers of troops go I like to have at least three if the point cost of the game allows it (I only had seven in the 4000 point game I played but oh, what a seven). Having specialized troops works well in some cases but you really can't beat the flexibility of combined arms troops.

For instance, I normally have a very simple strategy when facing most battles. Round 1: Kill the enemy mages. Round 2: if mages aren't dead, see plan for round one. Being able to carve a hole in an enemy formation if the cards go my way to send an opportunistic spell or ranged fire into is indispensible. Most players that I've seen heavily screen their mages with high defense fodder a few layers deep. I tend to look at the formation, figure out exactly which mini or minis I need to kill for a clear shot (gotta love Sure Shot), and proceed to make my hole.

My suggestion to you is play a few games with both types of mixes (two melee troops and one archer troop vs mixed archers and melee). I found when using "pure" troops I often found myself spotting an opportunity for a ranged attack I couldn't utilize.

That leads to another important aspect of tabletop wargaming, being reactive or proactive. In addition to the other maxims I game by (Never dividing forces, concentrating on highest threat objectives, forcing other player to split forces) I always try to play a proactive game. From the moment I place a unit on the table I try to force the other gamer to react to my placement rather than vice versa. If the enemy places a particularly juicy target in harm's way I'll adjust my setup slightly, but for the most part once we determine who gets which side of the board I've already determined where I want to deploy and how.

This came up during the 4000 point per side Elves vs Crusaders matchup I had a few weeks back. The Crusader player had an unlucky card streak and deployed most of his forces first. He tried to ensure he had the whole battlefield covered (4x8 table going long side to long side) and spread out his forces across the entire deployment zone. I, on the other hand, had already chosen my spot right behind a bridge in one corner. I was able to place my whole army in a position where they all could engage two thirds of his from round one. From that point on he had a very reactionary game to play based off of all my decisions; I was able to control where most of the melee occurred and when, and when you have 4000 points of elves vs 2700 points of crusaders.... well, you can guess the outcome. By the time the rest of his army came into range the battle was already decided.

And as far as the "GE List™" goes here are my normal troop choices; note this is for a 750 point game, and I usually scale up from there.

Troop 1

Meridh

2 Vale Archers

4 Vale Warriors

Troop 2

Meridh

2 Vale Archers

4 Vale Warriors

Troop 3

Selwyn

2 Vale Archers

4 Deathseekers

Standard, Musician

I'm glad you're taking care of your region Cerridwyn (since Euthanatos is slippin'). I agree that taking only two troops into a three-way game is rough, especially if you find yourself the one in the middle. While a mage can do well in those situations it becomes much harder to keep them alive long enough to do so. In any case, keep tweaking and let us know how it goes!

Troop 1

Meridh

2 Vale Archers

4 Vale Warriors

Troop 2

Meridh

2 Vale Archers

4 Vale Warriors

Troop 3

Selwyn

2 Vale Archers

4 Deathseekers

Standard, Musician

Maybe it's due to my coming from Warhammer, Clan War, Chronopia, Warmachine and so on, but I never realized that in Warlord, you can mix soldier types. I read the rulebook and this never jumped out at me. Is it really so? That is really cool if it is.

Ranz

What's with this "Mostly Harmless" crap? They don't know me very well do they?

And Goldenbirdie boy thought he had hiden the elven thread from me Heeehee

Seriously, this thread needs to be moved to the Faction thread

On to other business...

Just to show the dwarves do support the other good races of Taltos (yes even you willowy blonde pretty boys) I've decide to do a model review fer ya elves. Once again each week I'll select after elf model to discuss. The three key points will be strengths/weaknesses, tactics, and ease of painting and assembly.

I'll also be looking forward to hearing GoldenEagle's and Cerridwyn's input...

So every Wednesday look forward to seeing the dwarven prespective on yer troops. Until then just remember when a dwarf askes ya ta lend them a lock of yer hair... just do it!