21 replies to this topic

#1 Orchid_Noir

Orchid_Noir

Our Lady of the Purple Muse

• Members
  • 1463 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 02:07 AM

This is the spawn of
twjolson's Home Made Trees thread. The first responses were strong enough I figured I'd give it it's own thread for ease of finding.

Mine are Pretty easy:

Go find some branches that will look about right.

dig out some glue and a nail

Get some colored wool fiber, pillow stuffing, cotton...whatever

Fine foliage (the little cut up pieces of foam in foliage colors)

and Aquanet Hairspray (it actually works bestest, the cheaper the better)

cut bottom of tree flat
glue nail to bottom of tree by head

let dry

pull wool (or whatever you are using) out real thin (like cheap halloween spider web decoration stuff, which you can also use) and lay it on the branches where you want your foliage after spraying liberally with the cheap hairspray (the thinner you get the fiber the more "dappled" your tree will look

let dry

Spray liberally with the hairspray again then sprinkle foliage into the fibers then turn tree upside down to let any loose foliage fall off

let dry

repeat last step if desired for a thicker foliage effect

let dry

now your tree is ready to stab by the nail into some foam, or whatever and play with

oh.... Wait......I forgot something before you play with it.......

let dry :;): :lol: :lol:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I'll be back

"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it."
-- Mark Twain

#2 Froggy the Great

Froggy the Great

Apostrophe Ninja

• 17411 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 09:01 AM

This is cool and useful enough to pin.

"Τὸ πλοῖόν μου τὸ μετεωριζόμενον ἐστι πλῆρες ἐγχελέων."   

Gallery of Froggyness -- The Worlds in my Head -- Wonderland No More

#3 dargrin

dargrin

Misunderstood Jubilex

• GM
  • 4188 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 09:51 AM

Great looking tree. How big is this one?
I was notified today by Tyler that I was a Blue Doink

Posted Image No EBAY auctions

#4 Orchid_Noir

Orchid_Noir

• Members
  • 1463 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 01:34 PM

Great looking tree. How big is this one?

The big green one is abour 7 1/2 inches and the little pink one is right at 6 inches.

I like the "large" trees, they look right next to a fig to me, you know, how a real tree dwarfs us a bit. ^_^
I'll be back

"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it."
-- Mark Twain

#5 WintersRainne

WintersRainne

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 08:56 PM

:huh: Do you know what kind of tree/shrub you got the branch from - I've had a look around home - but most branches/twigs have nowhere near that many offshoots - I especially like the twist in the trunk of the pink one....?
Lisa Wood - "WolfDreamerNZ"
Hibiscus Coast, New Zealand
wolfdreamernz@gmail.com
The WyldWood Project

#6 Orchid_Noir

Orchid_Noir

• Members
  • 1463 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 10:47 AM

:huh: Do you know what kind of tree/shrub you got the branch from - I've had a look around home - but most branches/twigs have nowhere near that many offshoots - I especially like the twist in the trunk of the pink one....?

They are sagebrush, easier to buy than find in many locales, but some cedars work great, as well as a few other bushes and shrubs that I don't know the names of (sorry, more into irises and herbs on knowing some names).

And the pink one is my favorite so far. :wub:

Orchid - still planning better pictures, but kind of stalling for the new camera
I'll be back

-- Mark Twain

#7 Enchantra

Enchantra

Godlike

• Members
  • 10545 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 12:13 PM

*L* Orchid this is exactly how I do my trees. The only difference is I don't use hairspray. I use light spritzes of matte laquer instead. The stuff dries hard and the foliage is practically indestructable.

Lilac branches work well too with the fine twigs they get. I have a seriously large number of Lilac bushes around my house.

One of these days I shall have to do a writeup with pictures of how to make wire trees. They are much more time consumming though and don't have that nice natural look Orchid's have.

The Federal Government has sponsored research that has produced a tomato that is perfect in every respect, except that you can't eat it.  We should make every effort to make sure this disease, often referred to as "progress," doesn't spread.  -Andy Rooney

http://www.artfire.c...nchantedRegalia

http://www.pinterest.../amandabielski/

#8 WintersRainne

WintersRainne

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 06:33 PM

:down: Sagebrush - well I'm out of luck there - looks like I am gonna have to go digging around in some underbrush soon.....
Lisa Wood - "WolfDreamerNZ"
Hibiscus Coast, New Zealand
wolfdreamernz@gmail.com
The WyldWood Project

#9 Enchantra

Enchantra

Godlike

• Members
  • 10545 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 08:49 PM

Hey Orchid, if we wanted some of that lovely Sage Brush, what would you ask for it if you could ship it to us?

The Federal Government has sponsored research that has produced a tomato that is perfect in every respect, except that you can't eat it.  We should make every effort to make sure this disease, often referred to as "progress," doesn't spread.  -Andy Rooney

#10 Stubbdog

Stubbdog

Obssessive Over-Analyzer

• Bones Supporter
  • 6979 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 03:14 PM

I guess my reply is that it depends on what kind of tree you are looking for.

There are plenty of companies that sell tree kits, and some that sell trees prebuilt.

Some I reccomend trying yourself like the one shown above, cause that looks as good as any of the kits you could get for obviously much cheaper.

But for other kinds of trees I would reccomend the kits.

For example, HEKI PINE TREES are excellent and you can get them in packs of 15 to 60 trees for $15 from www.walthers.com depending on which size tree you prefer.

#11 Enchantra

Enchantra

Godlike

• Members
  • 10545 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 04:22 PM

Drift wood from the shores of oceans and lakes and other bodies of water might make awesome looking trees.

Berry bushes might lend some good "tree trunks" it you take the pieces left from trimming them in the Spring or fall.

#12 Nick Garai

Nick Garai

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 01:02 PM

How long to the trees last before they need to be replaced or repaired? What stores can you find sagebrush in? I live up in Canada so where would I go to get it?
Micah 6:8 "And what does the Lord ask of you? To be merciful, act justly and walk humbly with the Lord your God."

www.gamestoresindex.com
Come and Join the Family!!!

#13 Orchid_Noir

Orchid_Noir

• Members
  • 1463 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 01:59 AM

How long to the trees last before they need to be replaced or repaired? What stores can you find sagebrush in? I live up in Canada so where would I go to get it?

I like to get my stuff from Sweetwater Scenery, personally, second only to going out and finding it myself, and they are nice people, too, from my dealings with them. You could also try model RR places, that's whers we get most of our terrain supplies.

As far as how long they last, I haven't had to mess with any I've made, but I treat them rather nicely when I handle and store them so your mileage may vary on that. (still need to make me some more of these ::): )
I'll be back

-- Mark Twain

#14 Nick Garai

Nick Garai

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 11:27 AM

Thanks. Where would you find natural sagebrush? I live in Alberta.
Micah 6:8 "And what does the Lord ask of you? To be merciful, act justly and walk humbly with the Lord your God."

www.gamestoresindex.com
Come and Join the Family!!!

#15 demi_morgana

demi_morgana

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 02:16 AM

that looks brilliant - I wonder if if could be scaled to CAV size... such trees would be perfect for thick forest!
  • NickT likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users