#1 tjb

tjb

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 04:33 PM

wizards of the coast just released their book of 3d fold ups
can any one recommend any other web sites that have similar fold up model buildings for dnd ? wizard use to have downloadable pdf files, but now they dont seem to have them any more....has any one tried to photo copy/duplicate them
can a printer print on card stock ? will the ink run ?...whats better a bubble/ink jet or laser printer? :rock:

#2 Durak

Durak

Official Axe Grinder

• Members
  • 1534 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 04:40 PM

I have used some for my D&D sessions. Laser printer and card stock are the preferred way to print them out. However, you could use normal paper and paste them to a heavier material. For instance, foam board or even balsa wood if you are so inclined.
"Baruk Khaz‚d! Khaz‚d aimÍnu!
Axes of the Dwarves! The Dwarves are upon you!"

--The battle-cry of the Dwarves
The Lord of the Rings Appendix F I: Of Other Races: Dwarves

Clan Brightaxe
Posted Image

#3 Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Godlike

• Members
  • 1340 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 04:41 PM

try Germ's WorldGerm's World
Kris "Ghost Rider" Southerland
Black Lightning #IL001
Visit my Modelmaking and Miniatures Gallery at Ghost Rider's Galleries
__
Of course I'm out of my mind, it's dark and scary in there!!

#4 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 6618 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 08:46 AM

The WOTC fold-ups are the ones from their website (which were removed about 6 months ago). It looks like there are a couple of new ones as well in that pack though.
* It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
* Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war - Shakespeare's Julius Caeser
* Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
* We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. Winston Churchill
* Tardis Express: When it absolutely, positively, has to be there yesterday
* Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, ... - Shakespeare's Henry V
* My two hobby blog; Wargames and Railroads

#5 Cade

Cade

Godlike

• Members
  • 1087 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 09:06 AM

Yeah, I find old links that say click here for the free downloadable paper fold ups, but they just now route you to the product summary for the ones you have to buy now. <_< Apparently, they decided they should be making money off this scam. This pisses me off. Its one thing if they created new fold-ups for sale, but to take the old ones that used to be free and try to sell it now is just shady.

#6 Erion

Erion

Paragon of Mediocrity

• Members
  • 5340 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 09:33 AM

It's not so bad if you saved them offline for just such an emergency.

^_^
Providing A Public-Access Repository of Useless Knowledge since 1973.

A flaw in the human character is that everyone wants to build and nobody wants to do maintenance."
--Kurt Vonnegut

"The greatest enemy of your creative powers is smug complacency -- being satisfied with less than what you are capable of doing." --Nido Qubein

#7 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 6618 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 11:08 AM

Is that why I saved them all? :lol: And I figured I did it just because they were discontinuing the Chainmail line.

I thought it was pretty shady to on their part. I suspect that any new buildings in the pack (and at least one of the towers is new) were all ready for the website when they ditched the line.
* It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
* Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war - Shakespeare's Julius Caeser
* Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
* We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. Winston Churchill
* Tardis Express: When it absolutely, positively, has to be there yesterday
* Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, ... - Shakespeare's Henry V
* My two hobby blog; Wargames and Railroads

#8 MrKen

MrKen

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:23 AM

Try this link: http://www.wizards.c...dnd/fpm/archive . As far as I can tell this is still an active link. But, I do suggest you save the link for future times, or better yet, save the file to your hard drive as some of us very intelligent people have done.

When these first came out I printed them on 24# paper and used spray adhesive to fix that onto black cardstock. It worked out rather well and I still use them from time to time. The new product is I believe less expensive in time and printer ink, and when folded, just as strong. The big plus is if one of your goofball players spills his Coke on the table, your fold-up is not ruined if you wipe it up right away, unlike the self printed ones.

Happy gaming

#9 Evilbob

Evilbob

Goddess 'o' Unfinished Projects

• Bones Supporter
  • 1653 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:24 AM

Hey for like $10, on cardstock, its not a terrible price. And they're in color. (and they have 2 packs of them now).

Since we have them at home and will be using them for WL terrain (ie: need to be REALLY sturdy), we will be attaching them to foamcore.

Other things:
Most printers can handle cardstock without messing up the image (if your printer will let you, adjust the paper type to cardstock or thick)
You will get a longer lasting/better image from Laser (because a little water won't hurt it) than ink jet, and from experience, better from ink jet than say dot matrix.

#10 Gimp

Gimp

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 12:00 PM

I've been printing on 110lb cardstock for years with ink jet printers with very good results.

One suggestion I have is for people to add L-braces inside the bottom edge of their buildings, whether added after the fact, or simply by cutting the bottom edge of the building long. Glue the brackets around the perimeter of the building, and they'll last much better. I have cardstock building from the 80's that still look good.

WOTC now sells them printed on cardstock, just as TSR sold older versions of some of them back in the 80's. The link MrKen added still worked when I checked it.

Germy's been mentioned and linked as well. His stuff isn't great, but it does a decent job, especially for modular dungeon stuff.

Wizkids has some free downloads at:
http://www.wizkidsga...t...s&cid=37135

There's a big collexction of links with different scales at:
http://www.spacestat...-buildings.html

For those who like sci-fi, SWMiniatures has a load of Star Wars themed stuff at:
http://www.swminiatu...08e2b49d5cb5cec

If you don't mind purchasing printable files, WorldWorks games has some of the best terrain I've seen for both fantasy and sci-fi at:
http://worldworksgam...main_page=index
We're in the midst of building the Maiden of the High Seas pirate ship, and I've been using both Mars Station and some of the Streets of Mayhem stuff for wargames for quite a while, now.

#11 GreyHorde

GreyHorde

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1893 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 02:35 PM

I downloaded some of the GW plans and maybe a couple of others some time ago. I can't put my hands on the instructions at the moment, but I recall reading about using cereal boxes for card stock. Basically, print the designs on standard or heavyweight paper, spray adhesive on the full sheet or a rough cut-out, then apply to pieces of cereal boxes. When dry, cut out and assemble. Has anyone here tried this, and if so, how do they look & hold up?

New Blog!  Grey Wolf Studio

eBay

#12 Gimp

Gimp

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 12:13 AM

Gluing on heavy stock, or even foam core, will work, but is labor intensive and not guaranteed success. You can do as well or better with lighter stock.

110lb cardstock will print through most printers, and give enough strength to last. Any cardstock construction is weakest at the edges if they don't have support, which is why I recommend using L-bracing at the edge.

Target Games had cardstock terrain for Warzone and Chronopia that I thought would be too light to last. That's where I learned to use the edge reinforcement, because they had it for every model they made, and it made them last better than anything I'd seen. I went back to all my old TSR terrain and added edge bracing.

I have cardstock I built in the 80's that still looks fine, and plenty I've printed up over the past few years to use in monthly gaming tournaments and weekly gaming sessions.

If someone is a complete idiot, and trashes a cardstock building, you can print a new one to replace it with minimal effort. Dropping them is not a major issue, because they fall light, rather than apart.

#13 Lars Porsenna

Lars Porsenna

Godlike

• Members
  • 5622 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:47 AM

I think with this stuff, if I could print it to sheet plastic, it would be a more viable option. I'm not so sure I would really want something made out of paper, no matter how great your cardstock is. As it is, I'd rather use the designs as plans and make mine out of sheet plastic instead...

Damon.
-The Serial Crusher.
-Godlike since 9-09-04.
-My book blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
-My Minis blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
-My thoughts on D&D 4e: Link
-"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
-"Warhammer40000 is your Standard Sci Fi Setting injected with a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Starship Troopers and Star Wars, bathed in blood and turned up to eleventy billion (and then set on fire). Twice. With chainsaws." Quote

#14 Rastl

Rastl

Goddess of Shiny Things

• Bones Supporter
  • 2497 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 05:12 PM

I've got scads of cardstock terrain that we use all the time. It's actually pretty durable, surprisingly so.

And I don't know about printing to plastic. Seems to me the ink wouldn't adhere well and it would be difficult to fold into shape.

I'll recommend my favorite place to ya. They've got some samples on the web site so you can download, build, and make your own decisions.

I use the 110 lb cardstock I get at Wally-world for $5 for 150 sheets. Nothing special there, just decent cardstock at a decent price.
Consistency and dedication are the hallmarks of -- oo! Shiny!
Nobody likes stompy mechenbooty. - Krztoff
Indulge me and visit my blog: RastlWorld
p.s. LOOK! I was the ANTI-RASTL! Only 20 words! - Anne
28mm troops with a difference .. or two. RastlWorldMinis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users