Sign in to follow this  
72moonglum

Another petite lady with issues..

Okay guys,

I did this one over the weekend and just took the pictures yesterday. I'm not sure how much I like it. It seems when you get closer to her with the digital camera, I start noticing all the very obvious flaws. Also the picture kind of came out a little dark still and you can't see for example the red on the side of her boots very well. The lips look chapped. I wanted a dark brown suit on her, but I don't know if it turned out too dark. I don't dislike her to the point that I'd throw her in Pine Sol, especially since she took so long and I've hundreds of other miniatures to paint, but I'm not that satisfied. What do you all figure?

post-4-1105570777.jpg

• Like 13

Not a bad job for a mini of the "old and crusty" era... I'm sure she looks really good from a foot away (that's meant as a compliment), as you mentioned, digital cameras point out all the stuff your eyes miss. The four highlights on her upper lip look a little weird though, like she's got some massive cold sores or something... is that paint or is it just light reflecting? Anyway, overall, I think it's a pretty good job for what you had to work with.

• Like 1

THIN YOUR PAINTS.

That's why she looks like she has chapped lips. :)

Also, I think there is too much white or gray in your flesh highlights, because she looks undead (or did you mean to do that?)

I do however like your color choices. I like that her lipstick, eyeshadow and nail polish matches (I am so jealous that she can muck around in the outdoors and have perfect nail polish whereas I chip my nails just by thinking about it!). I would suggest that you try to make the red on her boots stand out a bit more to help balance the figure - with the bright red and blue on her headband, it looks a little 'top heavy.'

/ali

• Like 1

You certainly seem to have the right idea, just need some more practice.

You also need to learn how to thin your paints down with either some water or some additives (thinners and extenders). Once you're using thinned paints and you get to use to using them you'll notice a world of difference.

What sort of primer are you using?

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

For some answers:

The lips are a result of the paint, not the light. I tried thinning it down, but after I hit certain risen areas, it was hard to get it to do much else. I might just go back to the original color and try again.

The color for her skin I kind of wonder about too. For some reason, in the back recesses of my mind, I remember when we played D & D that gnomes were grey skinned in color with white hair. I might be off my rocker, who knows. If you look at my other gnome, Iris from a few days ago, it's the same skin and hair color scheme. I've done a few gnomes like that now. I'll stick a little Bob Olley gnome from Ral Partha I found on E-Bay. I've also been trying to get two copies of the gnomes so I can paint one grey-white and the other normal flesh tone and some normal hair color.

For color coordination, lipstick and nails I've put already on quite a few lady figures, but this is only the second time I put anything around the eyes. The Half Orc fighter that is stuck on with Margara Firetongue was the first. And I can only assume she is probably on the front end of the adventure, before she's had time to sully herself with general blood, gore, sweat and mayhem.

As far as primer is concerned, I'm just using the Games Workshop Smelly primer, that seems to dry up in the bottle everytime I get it, so I usually have to add copious amounts of water just to make it applicable

post-4-1105575627.jpg

• Like 5

Here's another question guys. When you are always talking about thinners, do you mean some kind of chemical thinners other than thinning the paint with water? I use water to keep my paint kind of thin, or at least that's what I previously thought. Is that not enough? :blink:

Here's another question guys.  When you are always talking about thinners, do you mean some kind of chemical thinners other than thinning the paint with water?  I use water to keep my paint kind of thin, or at least that's what I previously thought.  Is that not enough?  :blink:

A lot of painters will mix additives into the water they use to thin the paint. A retarder (sometimes called an extender) will help slow down the drying process to keep the paint wet on the pallette longer. The other popular additive is a flow release. This is a surfactant that allows the paint to flow better and go on smoother.

You can find recipes where people recommend the proportions of flow release, retarder and water. For more information, try THIS article

• Like 1

They look pretty good to me.

Here's my guess. It may not be the paints as much as the primer.

Smelly primer is brush-on, no? And I see you have primer on the verge of drying up, which would probably contribute to an even chalkier texture.

My question would be: after priming, do your minis already look bumpy and sandpapery in texture?

I've noticed that quite a lot of the minis I brush prime with white don't quite resemble others' spray-primed minis. Not as smooth, usually.

I've not tried smelly primer before, but have experience with Cyla's white and black primer brush-ons. Oddly enough, the white is chalkier and grittier than the black after applying it. The only time I tried GW's white spray primer, it just produced awful grainy bits - could be my technique, the weather, the can, the minis, bad mojo or something. Tried Darkstar's (I think it was) recommendation of Floral Spray primer - store only had grey - and it went on ultra-smooth. Very much in awe. Use it when I need it.

I just personally hate the smell of spraying even in a ventilated area, so am still looking for the holy grail of brush-on smooth primer. :)

• Like 1

These may or may not be your favorite figures, and they’re certainly early work, but I love the sculpts (Are these old Parthas?) and I love the vigorous painting and the graphic quality of the blocksof color which foreshadow your more recent painted figures.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

These may or may not be your favorite figures, and they’re certainly early work, but I love the sculpts (Are these old Parthas?) and I love the vigorous painting and the graphic quality of the blocksof color which foreshadow your more recent painted figures.

I really actually love both of these figures a lot, even if I'm not so happy any more with the paint jobs.  They are both from Ral Partha, their TSR D & D license, the female being one of their male and female player characters (gnomes thieves or rogues) and the male gnome from a set of five in their monster series. 

I've got copies of both of these that I'd love to repaint someday, just haven't gotten around to them. I'm also still suffering my eternal gnome color palette dilemma, do I paint them like in the Monster Manual as wooden brown with white or whitish hair, or go more modern with normal flesh tones and funky hair colors?

• Like 5