kkoene

Painted Saw blade

14 posts in this topic

Well I just spent the last month working on a strange request. I was commissioned to paint a 5 foot, 2 man, antique saw blade....Yes....a saw blade. When I first saw the blade I was scared. It had rust scales, it was pitted. It was a mess! Luckily my dad used to paint motorcycles and cars so I had a little help on this project. We used a wire brush to grind off the heavy rust, then we sandblasted it, treated it with metal conditioner and primed it with gray rustoleum. I then took it home to work on. Now, I haven't worked with tube acrylics since high school (14+ years ago :blink: ) and I haven't painted an outdoor scene since then either, but I have to say I am VERY happy with the way this piece turned out. I am going to use Testors dullcote to seal this and then my uncle is going to have some custom handles made for it. So....this is what I have been doing for the last 3 weeks. Thanks for looking.

BTW..the section pictured below is about 6 inches wide. The blade narrows down to about 4 inches on either end. I couldn't get the whole thing in one decent picture so I went with what I hope is the focal point of this piece.

post-4-1108830386.jpg

Dude...

that is wicked sweet! Thanks for sharing that! I love seeing what other art projects people like doing.

Very nicely done, that is a cool project!

I have never understood the concept of painting pictures on saw blades, but I really like this piece.

my mother used to paint saw blades! Never knew anyone else to do it ^_^ very cool it looks awesome :B):

I knew you had skillz KK, but that is really something. Well done. I don't think I've ever seen a panoramic scene painted on a saw blade before.

How long did it take you?

SK

my mother used to paint saw blades!

SB, are you serious? Is this some kind of lost folk art trend from the 19th Century?

SK

man she used to paint em all the time, but this was about 15 years ago. She once did this ginormous huge blade that was as tall as my waist! I always thought it was kinda weird lol ::P:

That is pretty darned cool. It has to be exciting, seeing an artform you have not done for so long, work out so well. Congrats.

I knew you had skillz KK, but that is really something. Well done. I don't think I've ever seen a panoramic scene painted on a saw blade before.

How long did it take you?

SK

Prepping the blade took about 10 hours. I painted it in about 14 hours spread out over 3 weeks. I had to research painted saw blades on the internet and I was surprised how many people do it. The only examples I could find were on round saw blades or the traditional one handed saws.

This is one is actually for an uncle of mine. The scene is from the lake that he has a house on in Land O' Lakes in northern Wisconsin. This piece is pretty sentimental to me. I spent many entire summers there with my grandparents as a kid. The fishing is excellent! You can see in this post some of the pictures I used for reference. i even used some drybrushing techniques on the water and sky! I had to buy a book for painting trees. (for some reason I never had to paint trees on any miniatures, go figure!)

I now have a few tubes of acrylic paint laying around that I might have to try using on minis. The pgiment is pretty thick and I will have to thin them down, but I have heard of other mini artists that use tube acrylics (VL is one of them I believe).

Anyways, thanks for all the compliments. I have yet to show my uncle. I am ging to give him a call tomorrow though. When my mom saw this she started crying. Have to admit that is the first time one of my pieces moved her to tears!

Thanks again everyone!

I have never understood the concept of painting pictures on saw blades, but I really like this piece.

I think this is funny because I have friends, and family, who say the same thing about me painting my 'little men'. To each their own, I always say.

Concerning the sawblade, what does that have to do with minis? With this petty nitpik aside, that's a awesome piece of work. Can we please have a close up pic so we can see some detail?

Concerning the sawblade, what does that have to do with minis?

It would make a terrific background for the dragon turtle (or any other aquatic dragon)

good work on the painting, I think your uncle will be thrilled to get it :bday: