13 replies to this topic

#1 kkoene

kkoene

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 10:26 AM

Well I just spent the last month working on a strange request. I was commissioned to paint a 5 foot, 2 man, antique saw blade....Yes....a saw blade. When I first saw the blade I was scared. It had rust scales, it was pitted. It was a mess! Luckily my dad used to paint motorcycles and cars so I had a little help on this project. We used a wire brush to grind off the heavy rust, then we sandblasted it, treated it with metal conditioner and primed it with gray rustoleum. I then took it home to work on. Now, I haven't worked with tube acrylics since high school (14+ years ago :blink: ) and I haven't painted an outdoor scene since then either, but I have to say I am VERY happy with the way this piece turned out. I am going to use Testors dullcote to seal this and then my uncle is going to have some custom handles made for it. So....this is what I have been doing for the last 3 weeks. Thanks for looking.

BTW..the section pictured below is about 6 inches wide. The blade narrows down to about 4 inches on either end. I couldn't get the whole thing in one decent picture so I went with what I hope is the focal point of this piece.

Attached Images

• sawblade.jpg

=============
"A man can be as great as he wants to be. If you believe in yourself and have the courage, the determination, the dedication, the competitive drive and if you are willing to sacrifice the little things in life and pay the price for the things that are worthwhile, it can be done." -- V. Lombardi

My website

#2 MasterCrown

MasterCrown

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 10:43 AM

WONDERFUL!!! just marvellous

#3 SaintRigger

SaintRigger

Evil Mastermind

• Black Lightning
  • 4045 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 10:48 AM

Dude...

that is wicked sweet! Thanks for sharing that! I love seeing what other art projects people like doing.
Posted Image

we want revolution, constant evolution
start your engines blow your fuses
burn the bridges for the future

#4 Jester

Jester

God of Pain(t), Speed and Mirth

• Members
  • 2204 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 10:58 AM

Very nicely done, that is a cool project!
Hey, isn't he supposed to be dead???

Jester's Miniature Studios is back on the web... sort of...

#5 Orsino

Orsino

Godlike

• GM
  • 2595 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 11:10 AM

I have never understood the concept of painting pictures on saw blades, but I really like this piece.
John
Sergeant John's 3-D Chiller House of Terror!
Under The Hill, a post-atomic fairy tale set in Georgia
Blood & Roses, a pseudo-historical fantasy campaign
"Statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting blame upon the nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those conscience-soothing falsities...and refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself that the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys...."
-- Mark Twain, "Chronicle of Young Satan"

#6 skavenbabe

skavenbabe

Geek Goddess

• Members
  • 1244 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 12:48 PM

my mother used to paint saw blades! Never knew anyone else to do it ^_^ very cool it looks awesome :B):

#7 Death Angel

Death Angel

Godlike

• Members
  • 1316 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 02:41 PM

That's a cool idea, nice work.
New Piccy Site not quite completed but up and running.

A Wasted Youth Is Better By Far Than A Wise And Productive Old Age.

"Monkey Porkchoppy McMoot!" As said by Lumpy

#8 Stern Kestrelmann

Stern Kestrelmann

Godlike

• Members
  • 5634 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 03:12 PM

I knew you had skillz KK, but that is really something. Well done. I don't think I've ever seen a panoramic scene painted on a saw blade before.

How long did it take you?

SK

THERE IS ONLY THE EMPEROR!

#9 Stern Kestrelmann

Stern Kestrelmann

Godlike

• Members
  • 5634 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 03:15 PM

my mother used to paint saw blades!

SB, are you serious? Is this some kind of lost folk art trend from the 19th Century?

SK

THERE IS ONLY THE EMPEROR!

#10 skavenbabe

skavenbabe

Geek Goddess

• Members
  • 1244 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 04:36 PM

man she used to paint em all the time, but this was about 15 years ago. She once did this ginormous huge blade that was as tall as my waist! I always thought it was kinda weird lol ::P:

#11 Digital M@

Digital M@

Godlike

• GM
  • 4971 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 06:10 PM

That is pretty darned cool. It has to be exciting, seeing an artform you have not done for so long, work out so well. Congrats.

#12 kkoene

kkoene

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 11:34 PM

I knew you had skillz KK, but that is really something. Well done. I don't think I've ever seen a panoramic scene painted on a saw blade before.

How long did it take you?

SK

Prepping the blade took about 10 hours. I painted it in about 14 hours spread out over 3 weeks. I had to research painted saw blades on the internet and I was surprised how many people do it. The only examples I could find were on round saw blades or the traditional one handed saws.

This is one is actually for an uncle of mine. The scene is from the lake that he has a house on in Land O' Lakes in northern Wisconsin. This piece is pretty sentimental to me. I spent many entire summers there with my grandparents as a kid. The fishing is excellent! You can see in this post some of the pictures I used for reference. i even used some drybrushing techniques on the water and sky! I had to buy a book for painting trees. (for some reason I never had to paint trees on any miniatures, go figure!)

I now have a few tubes of acrylic paint laying around that I might have to try using on minis. The pgiment is pretty thick and I will have to thin them down, but I have heard of other mini artists that use tube acrylics (VL is one of them I believe).

Anyways, thanks for all the compliments. I have yet to show my uncle. I am ging to give him a call tomorrow though. When my mom saw this she started crying. Have to admit that is the first time one of my pieces moved her to tears!

Thanks again everyone!
=============
"A man can be as great as he wants to be. If you believe in yourself and have the courage, the determination, the dedication, the competitive drive and if you are willing to sacrifice the little things in life and pay the price for the things that are worthwhile, it can be done." -- V. Lombardi

My website

#13 Kenpo Wolf

Kenpo Wolf

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 04:48 AM

I have never understood the concept of painting pictures on saw blades, but I really like this piece.

I think this is funny because I have friends, and family, who say the same thing about me painting my 'little men'. To each their own, I always say.

Concerning the sawblade, what does that have to do with minis? With this petty nitpik aside, that's a awesome piece of work. Can we please have a close up pic so we can see some detail?

#14 eastman

eastman

Mad Scientist

• Members
  • 3025 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 09:56 PM

Concerning the sawblade, what does that have to do with minis?

It would make a terrific background for the dragon turtle (or any other aquatic dragon)

good work on the painting, I think your uncle will be thrilled to get it :bday:
"If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly" - www.Despair.com
"Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do" - attributed to Edgar Degas
"A stroke of the brush does not guarantee art from the bristles" - Vorlon Ambassador Kosh Naranek, Babylon 5
"I see ... lead people" - me
"I love the smell of DullCote in the morning, it smells like ... VICTORY" - me
"Have you joined The Cult of Purple & TealTM yet? You know you want to." - me
"how many of YOUR club's members are in Masters? Hmm? ;-)" - Evil Sue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users