Sign in to follow this  
abngi

Borsig-Spline Warmaster section

I would like to put together a Borsig-Spline section for a Warmaster tourney. Could somebody recommend a balanced composition?

Also, I noticed in other posts that super-heavy units are rare in Warmasters, so there would be a lot of points available for upgrades. Is there a typical set of upgrades to tack on?

One word, Mantis. Remove those missle pod's and you've got a lean mean fighting machine.

I found out last year that you want to avoid the slow CAV's like the Ogre. Manuver is a key and 8 to 10 inches is not going to cut it.

MANTIS is the unit and I would KEEP the missile packs. Rolling 4 dice for offensives & defensive attacks is a huge advantage.

I personally have a fun Borsig Spline section (group of models) that I fondly call "The Bug Squad." The Bug Squad is comprised of all CAV's from Borsig Spline but particularly several variations on the Ogre.

Actually, the Ogre variations I use are for personal fluff & fun and I now call them the "Beetles." E.G.: Rhino Beetle (swapped top mount for a Rhino Maxim Emperor cannon is cheaper and better for Warmasters though); Emperor Beetle (removed all three weapons and added 2 Emperor guns).

The following section is what I "like" to play with, and it either totally rocks or I get hammered. Depends on the initiative, dice rolling and if I play them smart.

Spider

Scorpion

Mantis

Beetle (Ogre variant)

As I've implied, this is more for fun, but if I were to get serious I'd definitely drop the Scorpion and maybe the Spider and try to wiggle in another Mantis or two.

I still say drop the missle packs. You've only 1750 points to work with and crew upgrades are very helpful.

I'd take the extra two die rolls over a +1 RAV (from Wizzo Upgrade) any day of the week. All you need is one 10:1 split to take out a CAV and you're halving your chances of it by removing the Mantis' DFMs.

BTW, for 1750 you can get 4 Manti with +1 ARM and Veteran Wizzos, plus toss ECCM pods on two of them to help your chances of hitting.

Alternately, if you do decide to toss the DFM's, you clear 78pts/model. It costs 61pts per pilot/wizzo level, so you could boost your Pilot to Vet or the Wizzo to Elite. 'Course if the tournament is using The Few, The Proud, you're stuck raising the Pilot b/c the Wizzo will be maxed out already.

BTW, for 1750 you can get 4 Manti with +1 ARM and Veteran Wizzos, plus toss ECCM pods on two of them to help your chances of hitting.

Has their been a points change? Looking at CAV-RC, I can upgrade all 4 Manti for either Vet Wiz or +Arm, but not both without breaking 1750. Did I misunderstand?

My bad. I hit the Upgrade button on the Repair line, not the +1 ARM button.

So, you can have 4 Manti, Vet Wizzos, +1 Repair and 2 ECCMs for exactly 1750 points! :lol:

If my memory serves me correctly, out of the top 4 teams in last years Warmaster there were 8 Mantis. So if you dont use them, I would at least Expect to see lots of them.

Okay, I finally had a chance to suggest something more specific than "The Bug Squad."

Mantis (Section Leader): +1 Armor, +1 Pilot, Bergholm 22 Breeder (gives an additional damage track of full power capacity)

Mantis: Bergholm 22 Breeder

Ogre: +1 Armor, +2 Movement

Spider: +1 WSO

Total Points = 1749

This force hinges on the lead Mantis and the Ogre. I think you'll be surprised how much damage these two can take and dish out. Obviously the 12 inch speed on the Ogre means you should not out race it. Either keep speed with it and/or allow it to play clean up. Use the secondary Mantis as a "meatshield." The Spider should be used as a harrasser/feinter/decoy.

Many players do NOT like using Superheavies in Warmasters, but I still think they can be key units. Once you get them into the thick of combat they typically outlast "standard" CAV's. However, there are many points tied up in it and if you favor more speed then swap it out for another unit with upgrades.

Personally I favor mostly stock units and minimal upgrades (a balance between the two). I've been successful with that and knowing strengths and weaknesses of all the units on the table and effective tactics. Yet, a few friends of mine swear by the "cheap" units with many upgrades and they've enjoyed success too. As I've said before, I ENJOY fielding units I like, and mostly they are solid units to begin with. Mostly I win, sometimes I get my butt handed to me. What's that saying... "On any given Sunday?"

Good luck deciding and don't forget to play smart regardless of what force you take. Make dice rolls and initiative luck as small a factor as possible.

That's true, it's all about what you feel comfortable with. But this year I'm keeping away from super heavies, My Rhino was a big fire magnit and couldn't get into the fight fast enough to make a difference.

That's true, it's all about what you feel comfortable with. But this year I'm keeping away from super heavies, My Rhino was a big fire magnit and couldn't get into the fight fast enough to make a difference.

Very often this is the result. Still, those Superheavies can soak up a lot of shots that help protect your other units and allow them to do their damage. Also, the Superheavies can dictate zones of control by forcing opponents to alter their plans and movements.

I always liked the Rhino but could never justify fielding one UNTIL I dropped both DFM packs and added a Blitz IFM pack. AMAZING what level of "range" it had with that change. Additionally I often swap the TL system for that of the Thunerbird and then occasionally add +1 armor. It's pricey but has always earned it's money.

I think the Thunderbird and Emperor are going to change the Warmaster equally as much as the Mantis' did.

I'm not sure if the Emporer (if it comes out in time) or the Thunderbird would be very efficitive. I don't think there was a single IDF shot the entire time I was playing in last years match. There wasn't time. The fast unit got into range and started blasting for all they were worth.

I wasn't sure about it either Sergei but Superheavies with IFM have proven their worth (at least in my region). Basically they drop IFM's from behind cover as they approach their targets, in effect making up for lack of speed, but also eliminates damage from defensive. Then, once they engage they have equally effective direct fire weaponry. Not to mention, any models wanting to engage them are going to receive defensive fire from the superheavy too. Having "good" IFM capability certainly allows more options for a player.

With good tactics and a bit of initiative luck, this strategy works great. With that said though... I would NEVER bank on IFM entirely. The most lethal approach I've seen work time after time is the smartly aggressive, direct fire, concentrated firepower attacks.

Personally, I have Found that a Minimum for a reasonable chance for a 1 round kill is 2 on 1 of roughly equal points.

ex. 2 Dictators on one assassin.

the Mantis is the Latest Brawler in the Superiority Category, but it doesn't mean it's the only one :poke: However, for this Question, it should be at least 1-2 of your Selected 4.

Tim

Oh, I'm planning on using dictator's or maybe the ronin. But if your going B-S It would be foolish to over look the Mantis. It's just a really good CAV, especally for the price tag. I'm real courious about how it looks in CAV 2.