DETHSTRYKER

Dethstryker's Gunsmith Thread

59 posts in this topic

John Bear, I'll probably taking you up on the offer soonish - and I still owe you a CAV game :o)

Vejlin, those modified MG42's you used, were they MAG's/GMPG's or actually MG42's cos that'd be sooooo cool :o)

When in the RN, I was range qualified on the L85 (commonly known as the SA80) and part of my unit's shooting team (first reserve, but still part of it :o)) and we were all qualified (eventually) on the Barretta 92F, and that one I was actually on the team for :o)

The MoD issues each ship with a year's supply of ammunition in peace time, and if you don't use it all up you don't get your next's year's alotment. So, that means every once in a while the word comes down that "anyone wanting to shoot 5 gallon drums should report to the flight deck". Needless to say, I made sure to tell my lads on the way from the flight deck :o)

DS, that's one hell of a nice AK clone, and as an admirer of all things Armalite your M4 does look nice - though I personally think mine looks better, but yours does more damage if fired at someone :o)

My dad and most of my mates who were in the army and marines used the SLR, and they loved it. Not only was it practically indestructable, but it was damn accurate. In fact, my mate was in his TA unit's shooting team, and he had to over compensate for the bent barrel (it was 40 years old at that point) but it still got the job done! :o)

While I'm not allowed to own a firearm, and aside from a shotgun and even then I have to jump through a few hoops to get that, I am allowed toys. My toys look quite realistic, but they shoot BB's - granted at muzzle velocities which technically classify them as firearms under UK law, but they ain't. See, I'm an airsofter - it's more fun than paintball and doesn't cost anywhere near as much - and the weapons look real. I'll see if I can get my camera to accept a charge long enough to take some piccies.

DS, keep em coming man - they're really nice, and I'd be interested in seeing more. JB, SLR's rock!! :o)

It's amazing how Americans can have guns.

We need a course and a licence to buy and own guns (except for BB guns). I really don't think someone can have the same kind as you do ::D:

Violence, my friend, is a bad thing. Change carreer, craft flower pots ::P:

I've got an airsoft MP-5 and a Walther P-99. They looked so cool I couldn't resist. :blush:

Vejlin, those modified MG42's you used, were they MAG's/GMPG's or actually MG42's cos that'd be sooooo cool :o)

I'm not sure. They told us they were modified mg42's, that the callibre had been changed to NATO 7.62 instead of the german WWII callibre (which I can't remember)

. I'm not familiar with the abreviations MAG or GMPG, so I don't know. I found some pics on the net, so maybe someone more knowledgable about MG42's can ID the gun.

First pic This one is hard to see because the guy is sleeping in front of most of the gun.

Second pic This one is a bit better. Notice that this is taken during an exercise so the muzzle thingie (don't know english term) is a "blank-muzzle thingie"

third pic Here are some more LMG's lined up. These have optic sights fitted.

These are pics of the ones we used, not sure if they are "real" MG42's or not, but if someone knows I'd like to know too.

I assume everyone knows what the less exotic H&K G3 looks like.

The "blank muzzle thingy" is a blank-firing adaptor, at least in the US Army. ::):

The cooling jackets on the barrels looks like an authentic MG42. The MAG is a MMG based on the MG42 made by FN, and has been adopted by many countried around the world. The GPMG (also known, with affection, as the Gimpy, pronounced jimpy) is what we Britons call the MAG, since we make our own version, and the Americans here will know it better as the M240.

Gotta love a good old fashioned MMG :o)

If they're 7.62x51, belt-fed, with disintegrating-link I'd guess (roughly, I admit) they're just MG-3's. :huh:

Tommy. ^_^

They use the (old?) NATO standard ammo (same as the G3), and the ammo belt we used was not with disintegrating-link.

Do you remember the firing rate of these things? An MG-03 has a lowered rate (thanks to a heavier bolt?) down to around 900rpm IIRC, whereas an MG-42 could go between 1200-1300, depending on conditions.

Otherwise the weapons are largely identical.

BTW, my copy of Handbook on German Military Forces suggests the MG-42 (like the MG-34) used metallic linked belts, rather than cloth. This website clearly shows in the 3rd pic down the weapon using disintegrating metallic links (look closely and you can see the lightening holes).

Damon.

The cooling jackets on the barrels looks like an authentic MG42. The MAG is a MMG based on the MG42 made by FN, and has been adopted by many countried around the world. The GPMG (also known, with affection, as the Gimpy, pronounced jimpy) is what we Britons call the MAG, since we make our own version, and the Americans here will know it better as the M240.

Gotta love a good old fashioned MMG :o)

That isnt a M240. That was the one piece i had to service all the time...

Here is the Bravo model:

m240b-sa.jpg

240 Alpha (the one i lugged around in Tac Formation):

m240.jpg

This is the gun in question (this one seems a higher calibre):

LMG%20M%20OPTIK.jpg

Hmm, that M240B looks pretty sweet, much like the M249 Para but with a respectable calibre for a machine gun :o)

Do you remember the firing rate of these things? An MG-03 has a lowered rate (thanks to a heavier bolt?) down to around 900rpm IIRC, whereas an MG-42 could go between 1200-1300, depending on conditions.

Otherwise the weapons are largely identical.

BTW, my copy of Handbook on German Military Forces suggests the MG-42 (like the MG-34) used metallic linked belts, rather than cloth. This website clearly shows in the 3rd pic down the weapon using disintegrating metallic links (look closely and you can see the lightening holes).

Damon.

I looked closely at those pics and it, and every little detail is just like I remember it. As for the firing rate it varied a lot depending on:

1) How well oiled it was.

2) Which gun it was (even guns that to us look identical varied a lot)

3) How new the spring was (a new spring got the gun shooting faster)

I don't have exact rate of fire, since they didn't give us enough ammo to thoroughly test this.

The metal belt on the picture looks a lot like the ones we had, so I'm starting to maybe thing I'm confused about the terms. What does disintegrating belt mean ? I figured it meant that the belt fell apart as it was being used, which ours didn't.

Also the weight is dead on, since ours also weighed 11.5 kilos. Remember being lad I wasn't an LMG gunner beacause of the weight.