Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoeGKushner

Magazine thoughts?

18 posts in this topic

I see that Privateer Press is coming out with a magazine and that Harbringer is still going, now on year 2.

Any plans for a Reaper magazine or will the catalog continue to update/expand to fill this or perhaps go through third party work like Darkson Design?

Our Catalog currently fulfills our needs in both entertaining and informing our consumers.

We have over 7,000 copies go into circulation in any given month.

I am unaware of any plans to "farm out" our catalog to a third party operation, nor to begin including third party minis in our catalog. Remember - the strong point of our catalog is that is is an entertaining and informative magazine as well as a catalog of all currently available miniatures from us.

And it's Free (Subscribers pay Shipping and Handling).

And getting more entertaining every issue. The last issue had quite a few more articles and such and I thought was very entertaining. I like the upgrade of content.

I think the last one was the best one ever.

I would rather they expand casket works then spawn a straight magazine. Half the fun of casketworks is seeing all the mini's. But again, they have to keep expanding it, they definitely need more articles, stories, etc. But they are on the right track.

I agree that they're on the right track, and from rumblings in the industry, know how expensive a magazine can be but if Privateer sees some benefit to it, and of course White Dwarf does, and heck, even Rackham with Cry Havoc, I can't help but think it'd be a good way to expand the Warlords/R.A.G.E. game line, provide instructions, perhaps go into some detailed conversions, provide more previews, etc... as opposed to Casket Works which, and I may have missed it, is a catalog that has some full color inserts with fully painted figures, but doesn't do a whole lot in terms of instruction.

As far as third party, I meant that Darkson for example, had a lot of stuff on Vallejo Paints and not much for anyone else and that perhaps more focus on the new paint line could be placed into such a magazine.

I agree that they're on the right track, and from rumblings in the industry, know how expensive a magazine can be but if Privateer sees some benefit to it, and of course White Dwarf does, and heck, even Rackham with Cry Havoc, I can't help but think it'd be a good way to expand the Warlords/R.A.G.E. game line, provide instructions, perhaps go into some detailed conversions, provide more previews, etc... as opposed to Casket Works which, and I may have missed it, is a catalog that has some full color inserts with fully painted figures, but doesn't do a whole lot in terms of instruction.

As far as third party, I meant that Darkson for example, had a lot of stuff on Vallejo Paints and not much for anyone else and that perhaps more focus on the new paint line could be placed into such a magazine.

True, but again, half the fun of casketworks is the cataloge. A seperate magazine would for sure have it's beneifits, but I would prefer the casketworks as it, but with more articles. I think 50% catalogue/ 50% articles and stories. But they have a long way to go before they get there.

it's been awile since I got a issue of 'works but what I remember it was a blast to read & it fulfils my needs as a magazine. I picked up the Privateer Press cat that other day & while it's nice to see all the minis in full color, it's not like the Castketworks magazine in terms of humor & such.

though I will be try No Quater thou, just to see how it is.

Randy M

..and a big "hurrah!" for ReaperBryan for taking over the duties of putting together our favorite "catazine/magalog", while still finding time to keep us on our toes here...

Casket works aside, I've seen some pretty well done internet magazines produced on a monthly basis for fans by fans. THere are plenty of people here, we could put together a team and try to start one. That being said, I'm hardly the type to be involved with anything except contribution of the occasional article.

It could contain:

Current Errata

Upcoming new release lists

Scenarios

Analysis of particular Units

Analysis of how army lists function, and what tactics and builds are the most effective against other other each of the other army lists.

step-by-step painting guides for 1-2 minis/issue

general painting tips

Fan fiction

sneak previews

themed armies using generic amry lists

If done well enough, and to professional level it might be possible to get Reapers stamp of approval put on such an electronic magazine, and have them contribute as well (specifically I'm thinking with sneak previews, new release lists, and by officially sanctioning the erratta printed within it). Perhaps designers could offer interviews about new products and the directions they want to take a particular game or whatever.

Warlord, AICOM, CAV

I think there are enough games that at the very least we could publish every second month.

Like I said, i have no ability to put it together, but I could contribute, and could devote a certain amount of time to help with editing.

Anyway, just a thought for those unhappy with simply having Casket Works (I believe Reaper can do better myself, the simple fact that it is only published once in a blue moon sucks).

I think a fan made magazine is a nice idea, although tough to pull off.

Well, I would like to see Casket Works expanded out and a small price charged for. Warlord and CAV could really use some more exposure. Both are in competition with very established games and both are superior to said competing games. Battle reports and color galleries would really be great and I for one would buy it.

William

:blues:

Oh I agree it would be a very hard thing to pull off, but I've seen it pulled off to great effect.

The first such magazine that pops into my head is the one put out in support of the now defunct AOG game, Babylon 5 wars. 2 fanzines were created, first BABCOM, which had several years worth of issues, and later 'The Great Machine'. These were awesome endevours, and I garuantee they would still be being produced and supported if the game was still in production. They were what I would consider to be very high quality productions.

The fanzine could discuss things related to gaming in general, and someone related topics (The latest sci-fi, or fantasy news, TV series, movies, trends in the gaming industry). What we needs is 5-10 specific people with various jobs, willing to commit to a long term project. And then an additional 10+ people willing to contribute articles on a regular basis (say at least 1 every 2 issues), and a fanbase willing to contribute on occasion as well.

It can be done, but it will take a ton of work.

I'm willing to help put such a publication together, be it in a minor or major role.

I think once every two months is good timing if someone does get one going. That's what Asur.org uses, and it's just long enough between them that they're fairly lengthy, and all the stuff is pretty high quality.