Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fieldarchy

Snowy Bases

28 posts in this topic

Thanks for the link about Discount Models but I actually already knew about that. I really don't want to order the snowflakes online because the shipping will cost more than the actual product. I have been searching to see if any hobby shops around here carry snowflakes and they only seem to carry Woodland Scenics snow. Has anyone used their snow before? If so, how did it turn out? What type of glue did you use?

The baking soda thing really REALLY didn't work. I have a nice landscape of glue on the base but no snow. The baking soda didn't stick. Oh well, now I just have to get some baking done to use it.

The baking soda thing really REALLY didn't work. I have a nice landscape of glue on the base but no snow. The baking soda didn't stick. Oh well, now I just have to get some baking done to use it.

The baking soda didn't stick because you aren't supposed to sprinkle it on, you are supposed to mix it into the glue in large quantities.

I'm just guessing here as I've never used the baking soda stuff, but I would say two parts baking soda to one part glue? Add more baking soda or glue if the mixture doesn't look right. Anyone want to give a recipe here?

I haven't heard anything bad about the woodland scenics snow. I do have some Hudson & Allen snow here that was graciously given to me by Whizard Hlavaz, who I never see around anymore. You can drop him a PM and see if he can tell you where to get it.

Woodland scenics snow is easy enough to use.

You want equal parts of PVA and snow, then add in some water a tiny bit at a time until you have the consitency you want, the slushier the mix is the slushier the snow will be (think half melted look). I also like to sprinkle some over the top while it's still wet to give it a soft just fallen look.

I imagine it would be similar for other brands.

I wouldn't recommend using crushed glass for a sparkly affect, there is though a nice sparkly snow product out there, I have some here but no longer have the label from the packet. I think it's from a german company, has a bright green and yellow label but I'll be buggered if I can remember the actual company name. Worth having a look around for it though, very nice stuff.

I wouldn't recommend using crushed glass for a sparkly affect, there is though a nice sparkly snow product out there, I have some here but no longer have the label from the packet. I think it's from a german company, has a bright green and yellow label but I'll be buggered if I can remember the actual company name. Worth having a look around for it though, very nice stuff.

Maybe Noch Snow crystals? Noch makes excellent scenic supplies but they are difficult to find in the US. They made the original static grass too.

Noch Snow

Baking soda and glue work wonders, just do a test run first. Get a piece of cardboard, glop some glue on it and then dump some baking soda on it, mix it up good. You want to aim for a texture that is not dry, not wet, spreadable, but not runny. Put that where you want to snow, then right away dump baking soda all over the "snow" and put it up for 24 hours minimum. Don't touch it! after 24 hours, or more if you have some thick piles of snow, very gently brush the loose baking soda off the top. I touched up the color with pure white afterwards. You can also add some blue ink (very, very little) to the mix of glue and baking soda for a slight tint. Here's a link to a couple pictures of the Ice Queen I did with this base.

I tried the baking soda thing and the baking soda just absorbed into the glue. I have nice globs of glue with a whiter tinge to them but nothing that looks like snow.

Better than the cheese-mold I got when trying to use Woodland Scenics snow flock with zap-a-gap.

Super glue is bad with every kind of flock that I've ever used. Stick to PVA glue. I think this has to do with the tendency super glue has to melt/chemically react with certain types of plastic and synthetics.

I tried the baking soda thing and the baking soda just absorbed into the glue. I have nice globs of glue with a whiter tinge to them but nothing that looks like snow.

You're not adding enough baking soda. You have to overly saturate the glue for it to work. Less glue, more baking soda.

Basically put glue onto a pallete, add baking soda and stir, keep adding baking soda till it's a paste. It might take a lot of baking soda to do. A teaspoon full won't cut it.

How do I know what the consistency should be? How do I apply it if it is a paste? Brushes won't work well with a thick globby mess of ingredients. I am trying this out. I have a pile of glue and baking soda mixed together on cardboard and I am letting it dry overnight. I guess I will see whether or not it worked in a few hours.

How do I know what the consistency should be? How do I apply it if it is a paste? Brushes won't work well with a thick globby mess of ingredients. I am trying this out. I have a pile of glue and baking soda mixed together on cardboard and I am letting it dry overnight. I guess I will see whether or not it worked in a few hours.

To apply a paste: small pallete knife, butter knife, small spoon, whatever gives you an edge to spread with. I've used pastes before using just a paintbrush to spread and it worked fine.

Haven't you ever used paste as a kid? :huh:

Think of your normal white glue, but super thick and clumpy. It's sticky, but only spreads with the use of a utensil of some type.

I have used paste as a kid but that was with popsicle sticks and paper. Not a tiny base with a mini on it I don't want to ruin.

I still don't know what the consistency of the snowflake paste should be. Hence why I said I couldn't spread it with a paintbrush last night.

I have used paste as a kid but that was with popsicle sticks and paper. Not a tiny base with a mini on it I don't want to ruin.

I still don't know what the consistency of the snowflake paste should be. Hence why I said I couldn't spread it with a paintbrush last night.

Try thick like cold ice cream topping from a jar. That's about the best analogy I can come up with.