Reaperbryan

In the Depths of Arkturile

149 posts in this topic

Ok, this is more gushing over my new figs rather than strategy mongering, though advice is welcome :) Over the weekend I managed to get a sweet deal on some Paintenders, here's the story

While I was at Dragon's Table, I noticed a blister of Paintenders and they were marked at $4.99. My reaction "WHOAH! $4.99? That's WAY cheap!" Which is true as they normally go for $13.99. So the decision came up that I either tried to sneak them under the radar or let the owner know and do my good deed for the day. I choose the latter and asked John (the owner) what the cost on them was. Turned out it was mis-marked, but he cut me a deal and gave me a discount. Cost of Paintenders, $8, savings, $6, wootage.

So now I have me a nifty trio of 3 ladies interested in cattleprods :) I also managed to pick up some other figs this weekend, they are

Spawn of Mashaf

Javolith (this one and the Spawn I waited three weeks for my FLGS to get the order in :down: )

3x Paintenders

Guros, Baron of the Whips

So that's my story, though whenever I think of Guros, I keep thinking of him as, "Le Baron!" Does anyone know how to say Baron of the Whips in French? That'd be a cool touch :) Well, maybe not, but it'd still be fun. I'm pretty excited about painting Guros, I was flipping through the fan mini page, and someone had painted a Guros all red and meaty and rippling bicepish, and it looked cool, and I want the same idea for mine :)

Ok, here's what I got as far as minis go, any ideas/suggestions for a force of about 750 - 1000 points? Any suggestions for what I need to get?

1x Witchqueen

1x Guros

1x Javolith

3x Archers

3x Paintenders

9x Warriors

1x Spawn of Mashaf

1x Ashakia

Now I do want to let you guys know that I plan on getting at least one more blister of Paintenders, I'm eager to try out a unit that has horrid all around :) Just need a good serg or capt. to help round out the mix.

Vysa should be on the shelves in the next few months, and she's your Gen. Sargent.

I recommend getting 1 or 2 PainMages. I feel casters are a core of Darkspawn, and the PainMages are our cheap Elites.

I also suggest picking up some fodder in the near future. These guys are perfect shock troops.

On Tenders, Fodder, and Pain:

I will group together several Broken Fodder and Pain Tenders. Usually 6 Fodder, and 3 P-Tenders. Before you engage with this troop be sure to have some Pain Tokens saved up. The goal is to Charge in the Fodder from 11" (Mov 7 +2(beast) +2(charge) ) which will catch your enemy off guard for the most part. Back these charges up with a pain tender, the P-Tenders will double move 12" and reach the Fodder's rear.

You'll now be able to attack with a MAV of 4 from the Fodder, more if you have ganged up on a model (which I suggest to do)

Ah, but you say it's dangerous to put such a low DV model out into the front line. And I say for the low low cost of two pain tokens you have an invincible grunt with a MAV of 4. And I can garuntee the Fodder will rake in the Tokens as they go.

I forget who suggested this to me, but they deserve credit. It works really well.

Ah, but you say it's dangerous to put such a low DV model out into the front line. And I say for the low low cost of two pain tokens you have an invincible grunt with a MAV of 4. And I can garuntee the Fodder will rake in the Tokens as they go.

I love doing this with my fodder, I already have 6 of the models and plan on at least one more booster

Vysa should be on the shelves in the next few months, and she's your Gen. Sargent.

I recommend getting 1 or 2 PainMages. I feel casters are a core of Darkspawn, and the PainMages are our cheap Elites.

I also suggest picking up some fodder in the near future. These guys are perfect shock troops.

On Tenders, Fodder, and Pain:

I will group together several Broken Fodder and Pain Tenders. Usually 6 Fodder, and 3 P-Tenders. Before you engage with this troop be sure to have some Pain Tokens saved up. The goal is to Charge in the Fodder from 11" (Mov 7 +2(beast) +2(charge) ) which will catch your enemy off guard for the most part. Back these charges up with a pain tender, the P-Tenders will double move 12" and reach the Fodder's rear.

You'll now be able to attack with a MAV of 4 from the Fodder, more if you have ganged up on a model (which I suggest to do)

I forget who suggested this to me, but they deserve credit. It works really well.

That was me. :)

Fodder and Paintenders go together like, oh, peanut butter and chocolate. It's just a beautiful sight. Especially when you have some tokens in the Pain Cage.

And if you don't... well, they're called Fodder for a reason.

I always forget about the charge bonuses so my fodder are always an inch or two ahead of the tenders. ::(:

I need to have notes to refer to during battles to remind me of this stuff.

Vysa started arriving at distributors today, so it could be in your FLGS by this weekend, or next week at the latest.

Now I can begin planning my Darkspawn army. :wub: If only there was an army book ready... :down:

GM :mellow:

With the Broken fodder + Paintender tactic you could probobly use either archers or mages to rack up pain tokens before you charge.

With the Broken fodder + Paintender tactic you could probobly use either archers or mages to rack up pain tokens before you charge.

Deffinitly. I just played a game last week against the dwarves where I scored 6 kills with archers and 1 from Aundine's ice shard and because of those tokens nothing could stop my breakers from over running the dwarves. With a nice build up like that I only ended up losing two models before the dwarves gave in.

In summary, very good tactic, I can say from experience that it works. :)

In my one experience in playing against the Darkspawn, using Dwarves, I found it far more difficult to kill the rank and file troops than it was to kill the leaders, elites, and solos. You need so many pain tokens to heal those guys, versus two or maybe three for a normal schmo. I won the game, but it DEFINITELY wasn't easy. I still lost half of my army in the process. Scary. :blink:

Wild Bill :blues:

Hey guys! I'm going to be starting my 3 events this weekend for my entrance into the BL program and I wanted to let my hometeam(s) know about it!

The first one is this Saturday (a bit sudden I know), and if you're interested, will be taking place in East central IL. It will be at...

Valhalla Games

807 1/2 S. Neil St.

Champaign IL, 61820

(217)-356-6279

http://www.valhalla-store.com

So feel free to stop on by and help support, or play, or whatever :)

In the spirit of this topic...

1) What do you think the biggest "hole" in the Darkspawn list is?

2) What do you think the worst/most overvalued piece in the list is?

3) What one thing would you like to see from the Faction book?

4) What Faction/kind of army do you think gives DS the most trouble? Why?

5) What Faction/kind of army do you think DS has the easiest time with? Why?

6) Do you have a custom built Pain Cage?

1. Lack of tough adept grunt. You know the ones with either a high DV or 2 #MA. Everyone else has them except us and Overlords, but O'lord warriors have high DV.

2. Easy. Devourer.

3. Better Sergeants

4. Nefsokar. The lower CP, which is one of our strengths, and my archers can't hit them.

5. Elves. We can shoot just as far, and we have better mages.

6. I'm working on it.

In my one experience in playing against the Darkspawn, using Dwarves, I found it far more difficult to kill the rank and file troops than it was to kill the leaders, elites, and solos. You need so many pain tokens to heal those guys, versus two or maybe three for a normal schmo. I won the game, but it DEFINITELY wasn't easy. I still lost half of my army in the process. Scary. :blink:

Heh. Then your opponent was playing correctly. ;)

Not only is it way too expensive to try to heal your leaders with the Pain Cage, it leaves them as if they'd just made their tough rolls -- on their last damage track. It won't be worth doing, ever, until we get ourselves a frackin' cleric.

Yeah, after my game, I DEFINITELY had a newfound respect for the Darkspawn. I was like "They're all solos. They suck." WRONG!!!!! Their grunts are definitely tough, and without Bane, I would have most likely seen some stand back up without pain token. **Shudder** However, I have yet to start a second army. I had been thinking Nefsorkar, but after watching Darkspawn in action, I can be persuaded to go to the dark side. :devil:

1) What do you think the biggest "hole" in the Darkspawn list is?

2) What do you think the worst/most overvalued piece in the list is?

3) What one thing would you like to see from the Faction book?

4) What Faction/kind of army do you think gives DS the most trouble? Why?

5) What Faction/kind of army do you think DS has the easiest time with? Why?

6) Do you have a custom built Pain Cage?

1) I think we need some faster models. We seem to be a very low dv, low damage track type army, and with no clerics, you don't want to get hit. I feel like we need some faster models with varies types of movement, and some more flyers to top it off.

2) The worst model on our list so far is the Devourer, it really doesn't have a niche on the battle field.

The best Grunt would be broken fodder. You save points on the model for low armor, but that's not an issue with our Pain Cage.

The best Solo is Aundaine. She is medium, so she doesn't get in the way of spells like other larger solos, and she can pack a punch. Even if she can't get to the rear of a model you can toss an ice shard at the enemy.

3) Alot of Darkspawn only spells that hit harder than others. I would love for us to have the only 2 damage spell, or a larger AE than others. We are a caster faction and I'd like to see that role emphasised.

4) Anything that can hit us fast and hard will give us trouble. If you're killing models before we make use of the Pain Cage than we're in trouble. Nefsokar's Faction Ability hurts us alot also. Factions that have high DV, expensive models can be a pain also, yet again preventing us from getting tokens. So Nefsokar, Elves, Crusaders, and Reptus are a few factions that would prove difficult.

5) If it's slow, has low armor, and lots of models, we have an advatage. Goblin/Skeletal swarms just feed the pain cage. Dwarves can only take cover for so long before they come into the open and take a few casualties.

6) No, I'm going to start working on mine after I get my Pagoda of Jade together.