Tips and advice?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

• Guests

Posted 05 August 2002 - 04:43 PM

Say you figured a wonderful way to drybrush a texture, or you just simply can't figure out what size brush you should use to add a highlight to your figure's eyes.

Share your triumphs and your troubles, and the community will be all the richer for it.

--Webmaster
Kit

#2 Kermit

Kermit

Mostly Harmless

• Bones Supporter
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:52 PM

So I thought I'd save a few bucks and get some Krylon clear flat sealer to seal my figs. When I sprayed them, it was like spraying snow on the figures. I managed to get most of it off with a brush, but they are still speckled white. Totally ruined the paint jobs.

Just wondering if anyone knew why that happened...is it a problem with a cheap brand, or perhaps the environmental factor (it was fairly humid that day)?

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his.
--General George S. Patton III--

Miniature pics:
Completed: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjGRYzn8

Works in Progress: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjH4DKsd

10084975593_1e7788b476_s.jpg

#3 bmjoines

bmjoines

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:18 AM

I had the exact same problem with the Krylon sealer.  It caused my first miniature ever to lose its vivid colors and its ash-y looking now.  Guess I need a new brand.  Any recommendations anyone?

#4 Slendertroll

Slendertroll

Eternal Scout

• Bones Supporter
  • 2920 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:43 AM

Yeah, humidity will do that. You want a mild, low-humidity day for spraying anything, especially a clear sealer like that.

Posted Image
Slendertroll is Virgil Ironshaper, blacksmith and devotee of Kaveh, in...
Boldly Into Darkness Go: Down the Murder Hole

Grinnell College '16

#5 Niranth

Niranth

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 578 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

You can try fixing it by spraying a gloss coat. Any matte sealer will do that if the conditions are not right.
Bones KickStarter Links: http://www.reapermin...kstarter-links/

#6 ChudMacGud

ChudMacGud

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:22 PM

I have a couple questions regarding priming and sealing minis. Has anyone used the Brush-On Primer available here in the Reaper shop? Where I live the humidity is always out of whack so spray on primer is not an option. I have tried it and have gotten some pretty awful results at times. If anyone has had any experience with the brush-on primer here, can you please give me tips and advice on how to use it properly? Also I am really tossed between matte and gloss sealers. I would really like to keep spending money here to support Reaper by getting the Brush-On Sealer. Again, any tips and advice would be very much appreciated :) Thanks everyone

#7 JackMann

JackMann

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1666 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:13 PM

I have a couple questions regarding priming and sealing minis. Has anyone used the Brush-On Primer available here in the Reaper shop? Where I live the humidity is always out of whack so spray on primer is not an option. I have tried it and have gotten some pretty awful results at times. If anyone has had any experience with the brush-on primer here, can you please give me tips and advice on how to use it properly? Also I am really tossed between matte and gloss sealers. I would really like to keep spending money here to support Reaper by getting the Brush-On Sealer. Again, any tips and advice would be very much appreciated :) Thanks everyone

This thread should be of use.  Long story short:  Needs to be mixed thoroughly.  Some people thin it.  You don't need complete coverage.  Just enough for the paint to stick to.

• zauriel56 and Joe the Revelator like this

#8 purple llama

purple llama

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:50 PM

The brush on sealer goes on so much better if you add some water to it. I think I did mine at 2:1 sealer:water. No idea how well it protects since I don't use mine for gaming, but it covers well and you can wick it out of spots if it gets too thick.

#9 ChudMacGud

ChudMacGud

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:38 PM

What is the best way to prime/seal minis for gaming? I am building a Crusader army for Warlord, and I plan on using those little guys extensively to get good at Warlord. Since being directed to the link about brush-on primers, I did a lot of forum searching. I'm a little worried that Brush-On Primer and Sealer won't be enough to protect my minis from gaming.

#10 fanguad

fanguad

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1108 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:59 AM

For gaming, make sure you use a gloss coat followed by a matte coat.  Many people use Testor's Glosscote and Dullcote, but if spraying is out of the question there are alternatives.  In the winter, I use GW 'ardcoat followed by Reaper brush-on sealer.  Unfortunately, you're not going to be able to get as matte with brush-on as you will with spray, but it'll be better than spraying under poor conditions.  The important part is using a gloss coat - this is what actually protects your miniature.  You can use two or more coats if you're worried about damage from fingers or transport.  You can just reapply the matte coat if it ever rubs off.

#11 ShadowRaven

ShadowRaven

Corvus Umbra

• Bones Supporter
  • 10396 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

to get a matte coat on top of your sealer, in poor weather, I mix liquitex matte medium 2/1 with water and brush that on over top.

There are some who call me.....Tim

High Quisitor of the Space Quisition as appointed by Space Pope Bryanzilla the First

Warning: expecting sanity and rational posts from this person is liable to get you into trouble, and severely mocked. It does happen from time to time, but don't expect it

Daenir elf  'thief taker' Boldly Into The Darkness

Proud member of "Corporea's Corps" and "Pixel's Posse"

SophieFanclub.jpg

#12 ChudMacGud

ChudMacGud

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:11 AM

Wow thanks a lot everyone! This helps me out a lot. I'm going to use all of your great advice and hopefully start a WIP topic in the near future.

#13 jdizzy001

jdizzy001

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:39 PM

One tip I heard, which seemed obvious but I needed to hear before implementing, pick a technique and stick with it. An example would be eyes. Some folks paint eyes first and others wait till the end. Which ever you prefer, choose a technique and stick with it until mastery is achieved.

Another tid-bit: Thin your paints, especially the lighter colors to reduce chalkiness. I use Jen Haley's thinning recipe as provided by reaper which was 50% water, 25% flow-aid and 25% slow-dri. I have experimented with other combinations but "The Jen Formula" as I call it is by far my favorite. 

Edited by jdizzy001, 09 April 2013 - 06:01 PM.

• jaryth000 likes this

All posts made by jdizzy001, regardless of the thread in which they appear, are opinion and do not represent the principles of any specific group unless indicated as such by said group.

#14 Carcharoth68

Carcharoth68

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:43 AM

One tip I heard, which seemed obvious but I needed to hear before implementing, pick a technique and stick with it. An example would be eyes. Some folks paint eyes first and others wait till the end. Which ever you prefer, choose a technique and stick with it until mastery is achieved.

Another tid-bit: Thin your paints, especially the lighter colors to reduce chalkiness. I use Jen Haley's thinning recipe as provided by reaper which was 50% water, 25% flow-aid and 25% slow-dri. I have experimented with other combinations but "The Jen Formula" as I call it is by far my favorite. 

What ratio do you use regarding the thinner to the paint? Or can you link to post reagarding this? I remeber one a few years back when I last painted but cannot find it now.

#15 smokingwreckage

smokingwreckage

Gawdlike!!

• Bones Supporter
  • 11257 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

Well paints like these will thin with water, but to avoid certain issues with that you can also thin them with, say, Vellejo acrylic airbrush medium.

It's the perfect time to put on  your yellow boots and go meandering around the woods looking for...well stuff. In my experience looking for stuff is the best way to find it. -Loim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users