Kahn

Attack Section 2 (Skirmish)

Dictator A

Tyrant

Gnomic

Kahn

Fire Support Section 1

Reaper

Reaper/Conquerer (your choice... or build up a four Conquerer section like you had as those look nasty too)

Conquerer 

Kahn

Recon Section 1 (Kahn, Jackal (no miniature yet,) and Warden are your only recon sections)

4x Wardens

Not really a fan of the Gnomic, but I might swap it out for a Vanquisher. Much like the Dictator, that would give me another model that works either as a fast attack unit, or a slow one depending on my needs on any given day.

• Like 1

What kind of unit markings or numerals do Rach use? I imagine that every Rach player eventually runs into the problem of being able to tell all of his Dictators apart...

What kind of unit markings or numerals do Rach use? I imagine that every Rach player eventually runs into the problem of being able to tell all of his Dictators apart...

Check out the unit insignia in the CAV 2 rulebook (available for free download on the Reaper CAV page)--Rach lettering mostly features curving, claw-like shapes. There are probably some other examples out there but I can't recall any without checking.

• Like 1

I think that there is a TrueType font set out there as well. Pretty sure it would have numerals. There's a link somewhere in the forum, but I am on mobile right now so can't fuss with that right now.

Too be honest it hasn't been an issue for me.  Between keeping up with the damage dice as the game goes on and simply keeping track of which sections (squad in CAV:SO?) I've not had a problem with confusing one Dictator for another.  That and I'll vary the model during assembly by turning a torso a little one way, tilt the guns a different way each time.  Helps break up the monotony.

Check out the unit insignia in the CAV 2 rulebook (available for free download on the Reaper CAV page)--Rach lettering mostly features curving, claw-like shapes. There are probably some other examples out there but I can't recall any without checking.

All I can find are the SO quick-start rules. Do you have a link?

It doesn't appear to be on the CAV: Strike Operations download page anymore.

There is a font sample with Adon, Malvernian, Rach and Ritter text (and I think numbers). It's title is FONTSAMPLE and it's 36kb.

If you PM me, I can email it to you.

There are also individual files for the four races. The RachRegular file is 132kb.

They're on my hard drive and I have no idea how to upload them here (or if that's even allowed).

So I've been messing around with different 5k TVP Rach groups to learn my way around the rules and I'm running into serious problems dealing with this simple Ritterlich opposition force:

Attack Squad:

3x Catapract

1x Cougar

Fire Support Squad:

3x Tiamat

1x Cougar

Dealing with the Tiamats is quite hard.  If the Tiamats can get behind blocking cover (such as an E3 hill within 12" of their deployment zone), I can't manage to survive long enough to clear the cover and engage under the minimum range of the rockets.  Despite the Tiamats having to deal with a straight 10+ roll to hit, the large AoE tends to mean at least one of my units, if not several, still manage to fall in the blast radius after drift.  I've tried using Children of the Storm doctrine, but this just means all my fast units die in a fire to the Cataphract's 8 AV guns and the Tiamat's 7AV rockets.  Emperors, Despots, and Dictators are just too slow to cross the field and engage; the Cataphracts just have to scratch the armor enough for the rockets to start accumulating multiple damaging hits per volley.  The Cougars are less of a problem than you would think - they never live long enough for the APA2 to cause any major issues.

I've tried variations of the following squads, without much success:

Attack:

Emperor

Dictator B

Imperator

Vanquisher B/ Kahn

Attack:
Imperator

Dictator A

Tyrant

Tyrant

Attack:

4x Despot  (great at killing the Cougars, but sitting ducks most other times)

Flight:

2x Kraken B

Attack:

4x Malefactor

I haven't really done the Reaper & Conqueror Fire Support squad yet, but that's next on my list.  I know the Reaper is deadly from the squad vs squad skirmishes I tried when first getting started.  But what other options would have good success dealing with multiple Tiamats as the Rach?  Multiple Kraken A toting infantry for close assault?  That seems like it would really just tie them up for a round or two, at the risk of having the Kraken & infantry getting shot out of the sky as a waste of TVP.

Which reminds me - do rockets hit aircraft when they are caught in the AoE?  The rules read that way "any model caught in the blast" (or similar), but it seems odd that a ground explosion would kill airborne targets.  I've ended up with two Kraken B vs three Tiamats a couple of times.  The Tiamats can't really hit them once they close (can't go B2B or fire at Nap of the Earth with rockets), but the Kraken can't really scratch the Tiamats' armor very well.

Thanks in advance!

I don't know how viable a tactic this is under SO, but in older versions I used to use orbital insertion to drop a unit of infantry as close as the rules would let me to the offending enemy section.  The infantry would be upgraded with anti-armor missiles and FIST.  Between the missiles and the strikes that would usually disrupt things pretty well.  Be warned that the infantry, once deployed, are not going to be able to move very far from that spot.

• Like 1