ReaperShaun

The Greater Empire of the Rach

335 posts in this topic

As three conquerors, a gnomic and two emperors somehow manage to do nothing, despite firing everything indirect for the first two turns of the game, my friend tells me that the Rach need to stop buying their munitions from the Kerbals.

2 people like this

So I had a minor squeegasm when I was flipping through the SO book, and realized that just about ANYTHING can be a combat engineer unit. (Oddly enough given my faction choice, I'm a big fan of nonlethal force multipliers that get overlooked but multiply the heck out of my lethal bits.)

Before I start planning TUSK-style mods to the Despots I don't even own yet or strapping bridgelayers to the backs of Khans, does anyone have any good advice as to what Rach stuff makes good engineering units?

1 person likes this

I'll look at the rule book at home as I can't really answer the question haha!

I tend to be mobile and aggressive with Rach since their faction abilities play into it well.  Krakens dropping aerial assault infantry right in the face of the enemy, Malefactors bringing Hot Plasma Death into point-blank range, etc.

With that in mind I haven't tried the nanotech barriers yet as they would be quickly abandoned, however if you take fire support then propping up an instant wall in front of your Reapers or whatever could work.  Repair modules might work, as getting close means taking damage yourself, but be mindful that "healer aggro" will make that unit a target.  Repair modules are neat because the engineer model is the one that takes the action, leaving the repaired unit free to use its full actions to merrily destroy stuff.

Unrelated to combat engineers, but I always take at least two external active phase arrays with Rach as there's no other way to get them and I'm going to be up close and personal anyway.  At least two, because it makes them a priority target and I'll need a backup.

My view on nanotech barriers is that I'd only be using them temporarily anyway. To me, the idea is that my scouts have the module, and they set up the wall in a convenient location as they close. The main battle CAVs don't get to the wall and fight from that spot, they use the wall as temporary cover, so that they're that much more intact by the time they get in close.

These walls are rapidly going to become favorite artillery targets, so the next trick is to start placing the walls where enemy units might use them...and then use the scout that happens to be there to accurately drop FASCAMs right next to that wall. There's cover right there for you to use...but it'll cost you.:B):