• Please log in to reply
294 replies to this topic

#256 Sergeant_Crunch

Sergeant_Crunch

God of Overly Complex Tactics and Tactical Errors

• Members
  • 9357 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:05 AM

Oh, BTW, got a game in yesterday. Tried taking some infantry in Krakens using the beta errata. The Kraken didn't survive to the other side of the table. Note to self, keep the Kraken for 4x4 tables.

I'm not so sure I'd want to get hit by a missile with a "dog brain" AI.
My blog:  http://scsminimadness.blogspot.com/

#257 Gunfighter

Gunfighter

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:22 AM

Oh, BTW, got a game in yesterday. Tried taking some infantry in Krakens using the beta errata. The Kraken didn't survive to the other side of the table. Note to self, keep the Kraken for 4x4 tables.

Most of the transports that got changed ended up like that. You just have to use terrain to cover you like with other vehicles. The days of transports racing up to the enemy and dropping infantry at his feet while shedding incoming fire like rain is over. Happily, very over, flip side is now you have to protect your APCs like they were gold plated. A good thing, and and a good change in the game mechanics IMHO.

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of Circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of Chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find me, unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

#258 Mchandler

Mchandler

Enlightened

• Black Lightning
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:51 AM

agreed, and that also reflects military doctrine in the real world...

I know when I was in the marines and we moved forward in transports we ALWAYS did so with suppressive fire to the front and utilizing cover to our advantage...

there are times for speed and there are times not for speed... the way the apcs are designed now makes you think of how you are going to do what you want and not get shredded in the process. <_<

basically the only time I go flat out with transports (i.e. Bears) is when I have wheeled and a road that intercepts a target unit and I know that I can get there in one move... otherwise i have painfully learned you need to utilize cover...
Hello My Name is Michael and I am a CAV Addict

Mansfield Bears Terraforming Division: Building a better world so you can destroy it

#259 Sergeant_Crunch

Sergeant_Crunch

• Members
  • 9357 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:09 AM

Well, the issue was that the terrain wasn't tall enough to block something 2.5" above the tabletop. I tried to hide, but there just wasn't enough tall terrain.

#260 Gunfighter

Gunfighter

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:28 PM

I hate it when it works out like that. One of my most recent games of FOW was fought on a snow table with only scrub brush, I lost 9 of 12 Shermans to a pair of Tigers who sat on a hilltop and dominated the whole table. The next game after that ended up on a table that looked kind of like an amazon rain forest, it took nearly 40 minutes to clean up after the game simply because we both kept misplacing vehicles and troops.

#261 Castlebuilder

Castlebuilder

The Dungeon Builder

• Bones Supporter
  • 2032 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 04:51 PM

Most of the transports that got changed ended up like that. You just have to use terrain to cover you like with other vehicles. The days of transports racing up to the enemy and dropping infantry at his feet while shedding incoming fire like rain is over. Happily, very over, flip side is now you have to protect your APCs like they were gold plated. A good thing, and and a good change in the game mechanics IMHO.

For the record, the Kraken wasn't adjusted with the beta errata. It was fast & fragile from the start. And it is not a sneak up using cover type vehicle either. If you try that your opponent willl use indirect and take them out. The Kraken is a vehicle for blitz assaults. Get in as fast as possible, using whatever cover you can. I'm not complaining, that's just how the Krakens work. The Fenri is the same kind of vehicle. If you have a Kraken survive past the second turn, you opponent doesn't realize what they are.

Castlebuilder
"I forgot about the gods and spun my own bright fate, while at the root of life the three spinners laughed." Bernard Cornwell, Lords of the North

#262 Sergeant_Crunch

Sergeant_Crunch

• Members
  • 9357 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:57 PM

The Kikyus and Harpies tore them apart. Had nothing to do with the beta errata itself, though the Kraken did get a new card, it now has a DV of 10. But when there's no cover, they're going to get hit. This wasn't on a 4x4 table so they had some ground to cover. Not complaining, not griping, just the way the table was.

#263 Gunfighter

Gunfighter

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:10 PM

Ahhh, Harpies, my favorite flying ladies of destruction. <_<

#264 Saint of Sinners

Saint of Sinners

Godlike

• Members
  • 2249 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:12 PM

Hey Saint, are you overlooking that practically every Rach model with IFMs has Shredder? Most are Rav0, but still they do have Soft damage capability.

but barely...

Having a pair weapon system that can damage both hard and soft I find is far more useful then a single secondary system that will barely scratch soft only. A lot of my opinion is based on my play style, I prefer versitality over specialization (hence my current interest in SyRam models).

And as far as the Prince is concerned, it has no secondary weapon systems, so giving its primary weapons an equel hard/soft damage ability would increase it usefulness.
"Mercenaries are like prostitutes. You don't pay to lay with them... you pay them to leave."

#265 Mchandler

Mchandler

Enlightened

• Black Lightning
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:27 PM

i agree, yes the vanquisher is a nice soft killer, but it tends to be majorly vunerable...

the prince does look interesting as well...

Mansfield Bears Terraforming Division: Building a better world so you can destroy it

#266 Gunfighter

Gunfighter

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:18 PM

And as far as the Prince is concerned, it has no secondary weapon systems, so giving its primary weapons an equel hard/soft damage ability would increase it usefulness.

Like the Mitso-Ta Samurai, it also had no secondary weapons, but had Blaster and Hunter.
I really don't want a "Terran" Dictator '70, one of the things I like is the factions don't duplicate each other.
Now an energy based Cav with Blaster, that would be different, and very Mitso-Ta.

I personally prefer the more flexible Cavs, I think the Emperor for instance is the perfect SuperHeavy, it is mobile, well protected, and has the full spectrum of weapons. As much as I love my Hawk VIs and T-Hawks, I prefer machines with both IA and DA on the same chassis. If I had to choose a Terran Cav as my favorite, I would pick the Ronin.

#267 Mchandler

Mchandler

Enlightened

• Black Lightning
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:52 AM

agreee gunfighter to me the TBIRD sits in the back and levels stuff while the ronins and starhawks close with and destroy the enemy...

i see the same with the emperor possibly... need to get some and play with them... in process of rebuilding rach forces....

#268 Sergeant_Crunch

Sergeant_Crunch

• Members
  • 9357 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 07:33 AM

Play aggressively with the Emperor, otherwise he'll get smacked before he gets in range.

#269 Mad Pat

Mad Pat

Godlike

• Members
  • 1758 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:10 AM

Play aggressively with the Emperor, otherwise he'll get smacked before he gets in range.

Just take out the word Emperor and replace it with the word Rach and your good to go!
Yuppie Mephistopheles

odium ludatori non ludo

#270 Sergeant_Crunch

Sergeant_Crunch

• Members
  • 9357 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:22 AM

yeah, pretty much

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users