Tommy

"Warlord for Idiots"...

18 posts in this topic

:devil:

After many false starts, I will finally be starting Warlord for the first time in December. Historically, I don't have a great track-record of being able to pick-up rules systems especially easily or quickly (yes, even simple ones). I have the book, and have read through it several times. Is there some kinda "Warlord for Idiots" quick-play guide that anyone knows of, or has put together? If anyone knows, and could point me in the right direction, this would be of great assistance. :unsure:

Tommy. :huh:

After many false starts, I will finally be starting Warlord for the first time in December. Historically, I don't have a great track-record of being able to pick-up rules systems especially easily or quickly (yes, even simple ones). I have the book, and have read through it several times. Is there some kinda "Warlord for Idiots" quick-play guide that anyone knows of, or has put together? If anyone knows, and could point me in the right direction, this would be of great assistance. :unsure:

The boxed set has a one-page "Quick Play Guide", but it's designed for use with the two fighting companies that come with the game. I also found it a bit confusing, as they made reference to the "equipment and spells" that the units come equipped with, but I couldn't find anywhere what equipment and spells they were supposed to be equipped with, so just had to equip them based on the points.

I think your best bet is to find somebody who knows the game. I'd probably still be puzzling through the basic mechanics of the game if Bryan hadn't walked me through it at RAC. Do you have any Black Lightning people near you, or an FLGS with any Reaper players?

When I first started playing Warlord, the guys I was with had only played like once or twice before I joined up. So, it was trial by fire. You'll probably have to sit there and just proceed with the first turn and read it out of the rulebook. That's what I was doing.

There is one important thing to remember: each troop gets two actions. Either 1) two non-combat actions OR 2) a non-combat and a combat action. Combat is: spell casting, archery, and hand-to-hand fighting. I've seen players around here forget that you can move twice or move once and then whack someone with your big pointy stick. :devil:

Wild Bill :blues:

Warlord for Dummies would be good! I'd buy that. I am in a similar boat as Tommy, being one of those types who needs to read the book a few times, then play it a dozen or two with folks who are "in the know". Being from the central Alberta wastelands, there is nary a Warlord player for leagues and leagues... :(

Here's a tip. Run off a copy each of the summary sheet from the book. And have those little cards around.

First time I tried it I had to keep flipping around in the book for the stats.

Don't fall into the trap of making troops with only one model type in it.

A lot of the figures are designed around being complimentary parts, and will perform better in a mixed troop than they will as a unique model type troop.

e.g. A troop of all archers can be handy for extra fire power, but if you don't toss in a fre grunts for defense or delaying actions so you can run away they will usually get slaughtered.

e.g. A troop with mixed warrior and reach types for the extra support bonus is helpful. 2:1 ratio works well since you can grant Reach Support to both models as long as they are attacking the same guy.

Another things. Make sure you review all the Errata stuff, posted here, or on Warlord HQ, some of the rules have been changed and/or clarified. Especially with the clarifications, it may help avoid some heated debates over wording in the Core Rulebook.

I dunno Scott, you tell me. Know the author? ::):

Oh Oh Oh

Yes a 'Warlord for Idiots' is in the making.

It will assume you've read the book and are ready to push some tin.

Oh Oh Oh

Yes a 'Warlord for Idiots' is in the making.

It will assume you've read the book and are ready to push some tin.

*raises hand*

What does "pushing tin" mean?

*ducks*

Is this guide going to be an actual published book or something to download? Also, will it be more than just a complete beginner's guide and contain some strategies and tactics as well? Come to think of it, one could make a pretty decent strategy/tactics guide by gleaning through all of the posts on this board, putting the ones regarding tactics together, and creating a some sort of index. I've definitely benefitted from all of the discussion about cavalry lately.

My recomendation for new people getting interested in Warlord is just to keep it simple. Figure out or ask what is more likely to be used and try not to worry about all the in-depth stuff. You don't need to go into the game imbued with full knowledge, try it first and have some fun :)

*raises hand*

What does "pushing tin" mean?

*ducks*

Yeh - what the hell does it mean? :unsure:

Tommy. :huh:

heh...it means moving minis around a table, Tommy.

Oh thank god, I thought it was some freaky Kevin Costner cult based off Tin Cup :devil:

pushing tin could be something those "pushers" at game stores do when they try to sell you on the latest GW game/army/mini.