papabees

The Grand Order of the Temple

Fought a game the other day and got my butt handed to me. I took two Knights, a Sovereign, and a Centurion against two T-Brids. I caused two points of damage on one of them before getting wiped out. I concentrated fire on the one although I switched targets the second turn after the only damage I caused the first turn was due to a drift from the Sovereign. Going to have a rematch on this one but any suggestions?

The T-bird is the big gun of the UFF, its slow, heavily armored and deadly. If I was the Terran I'd run for cover and lob IFM all day.

Superheavies' weakness is the ECM luckily you have a ton of DFM to exploit it. LOS is going to be your biggest hurtle. If yer on a large table (8x4) use the distance to your advantage since DFM don't have range penalty. If on a short table (4x4) get as close and fast as you can to yer target and pour on yer DFM (the DFM's RAV won't degrade as the take damage). And Repair as much as you can. the longer it takes for yer opponent to kill one of yer models the more time you have to damage his.

As much as I like the Knight, they work better as support for other CAVs. I'd highly recommend investing in a Warlord or a duelist to give yer platoon more punch vs. hard.

I've played a couple games under the old rules and run a couple demos with borrowed forces as well. Today, i got a start on my own force. Please let me know what you think I should get to get a nice 3000 point force. Here's what I bought:

2x Knights

1x Sovereign III

2x Gladiator II

1x Warlord

1x Duelist

1x Spartan

2x Lance Tank (I think there are two in the pck)

1x Pack of Heavy Infantry

This may or may not become my favored force, but it was based on what the LGS had in stock. I plan ot get two forces of 3000 to use for demos and competitive play. Thanks!

Looks good so far Ranzadule.

I am wondering what everyone thinks of the Duelist. I am thinking about getting a few more of these but I havent used the one I do have much (since I usually dont play templar).

What do you all think of it? and how many would you recommend? Im thinking between 4 and 6.

I'm wondering about other vehicles. Things like the Whisper Missile and various transports and also the types of infantry I want to get. The LGS has some mortars and some light or medium infantry. Are there any CAVs not of HM that go with this force?

@Ranz:

Whisper goes away in the new rules. It's replaced by generic strike cruise missiles that all factions can use.

The Czar Airborne APC was in JORII, and if all goes well we'll start seeing the releases of that last half-dozen models sometime soon (though i have no idea when).

The Templars get a whole new UCOR to supply them stuff in CAV2, Called Viper Systems, Mil-Net has a few pics from Blitz of what the designs for some of the new models look like.

You should be ok using stuff like basic rifle teams, heavy armor rifle teams, right now, but the stuff is going to be re-sprued soon to look more like what CAV2 calls for. If you buy anything that's not basic, I'd recommend using blue-tac or something similar to hold them to the base until we know what they're gonna look like in the new rules.

I noticed you have no centurions. Bad Ranzadule. No treat for you. ::P:

@preFunk:

I love the Duelist. I have three. With those guns, it's great durability and repair, and the built-in ESM, I almost never leave home without one.

I proxy the Duelist because despite my FLGS ordering it two or three times it still is out of stock. I just placed another order with them so fingers crossed. The Sabres have AA and if you're fighting Terrans it'll keep some of the strikes off your back.

:blink:

Ranz sporting the Templar Blue..?

There goes the neighborhood :down:

Just about anything in the Templar TO&E is a decent unit. The trick is knowing how to use them. For example as while to kill two birds with one stone, the H-M Duelist is a infighter. It excels when its up close. Its also priced low enough that an armor upgrade won't kill yer budget either.

I don't know if I'll be a loyal Templar. The LGS had more HM stuff than any other faction, so I bought that. They look nifty and I'm hoping to explore more about CAV when CAV2 comes out. I plan ot run three factions and likely rotate. Templars look cool though. Is it blasphemous if I do mine black and use Black Templar transfers?

To paraphrase a song from the early 90's: "Paint how ya like."

My templars are Green and Khaki, with spiffy fighting pirahna decals for Templar logos and GASP I lifted a Btech logo for the unit insignia...

Gentlemen,

Did Hughes Marietta Break up and loose its top of the line electronics? The reason I enjoyed playing them despite loosing speed and firepower was their target lock advantage and some range advantage. From what I have seen We lost both. Am I missing something? It seems my army is now very weak.

Section1

4 duelists(now slower than the Warlord?) What happened to the eccm pod?

Section2

4 Gladiator II (now only good for anti infantry and too slow to do that)

Section3

2 Centurions(about what I expected)

2Sovereigns (no real surprise there)

Section4 Misc

Warlord(did it do barry bonds' steroids?) Now the best model I have What is up?

2 Spartans(no suprise)

Section5

3 sabres

Section6 and 7

3 Stilletos each

Section8

Still waiting on the Czars

Section9

Longbows 4

Standing orders

Surrender to Addon or Rittelich No chance.

Rach Run away, no we are too slow Surrender.

Malvernian Convert.

Terrans Dig about 6 feet down and wait they can cover you where you fall.

Templars hey we have a chance they have the same poor stuff we have.

Please give me a reason to like Hughes marietta again. Right now My terrans and Adonese really lok a lot better.

Gentlemen,

Did Hughes Marietta Break up and loose its top of the line electronics? The reason I enjoyed playing them despite loosing speed and firepower was their target lock advantage and some range advantage. From what I have seen We lost both. Am I missing something? It seems my army is now very weak.

Section1

Section2

Section3

Section4 Misc

2 Spartans(no suprise)

Section5

3 sabres

Section6 and 7

3 Stilletos each

Section8

Section9

Longbows 4

Standing orders

Malvernian Convert.

Please give me a reason to like Hughes marietta again. Right now My terrans and Adonese really lok a lot better.

I don't know what you're on about, D_templar. I have no trouble at all with my templars forces. I don't win all the time, but I'm better than 50/50.

Gentlemen,

Section1

Section2

Section3

Section4 Misc

2 Spartans(no suprise)

Section5

3 sabres

Section6 and 7

3 Stilletos each

Section8

Section9

Longbows 4

Standing orders

Malvernian Convert.

*smacks D. Templar*

No one likes a cowardly Knight, D. Now stand up straight and get ahold of yerself soldier.

Just as times have change, so to have the roles our units fill.

The Duelist is still a nasty infighter. Just get it in close so the ESM can work it magic and watch yer guass rounds punch straight through yer target.

The Gladiator is still a nasty long range hunter it used to be (DFM don't suffer from range band penalties or bonuses). Although its Republic One GGCs no longer have the punch they once enjoyed (thanks to armor improvements over the years) they are still respectable. Remember, infantry is not the only soft targets on the field (Gunships, some APCs, as well as many FVs). If anything it can be more dangerous then it used to be.

The Warlord did indeed receive a vital upgrade in the speed department from H-M. Bringing it in line with other frontline CAVs.

The Spartan actually has a better punch with its LBGs then it once did while still remains a Close combat beast.

The Sovereign III is still the benchmark that all other fire support chassis are measured against.

Centurian... I think it could benefit from a wizzo but is still an excellent defensive CAV.

Standing orders

Yep, that sounds about right. :B):

None of these CAVs seem to measure up against anyone else's front line CAVs. With the exception of the Centurion but it is an assault CAV it has to. My biggest Question is what happened to Marietta's computer dominance?

By infantry I include APC's and Fighting Vehicles. It is not my usual play style to use a Cav In this role (too pricey). The Gladiator is probably too sloooow to fulfill this role unless defending a stationary objective.

It seems the style of play I developed has been shipped to the Adonese and Terrans. Adonese seem to have Wizzos in every seat. I will buy the book but the Templars have serious problems. The Hughes style is now the Adonese style.

Color me Dismayed

I hope they still Sell JOR I and II at origins.