papabees

The Grand Order of the Temple

With the release of Shards the Templars now have access to two new units. The long awaited Sovereign IV and the Gladiator III. Both are updated versions of classic Hughes-Marietta machines.

The biggest surprise is that Viper was the manufactor of the Sovie 4. For years, H-M had been promising customers a new Sovie. I guess H-M decided to hand over the development to Viper after their success with the SyRam Starhawk variant, the Warhawk. With their knack for reengineering CAVs I'd love to see a Viperized Lance tank.

Meanwhile, not to be out done by their li'l sister UCOR, H-M seems to have focused on attack CAVs starting with their revitalize Gladys 3. Bigger guns, fast locomotion, and with even more armor, the old gal is once again ready to bring it.

Its good to be a Knight...

And for the cost I think the Glad III is a bargain. I was hoping to see the Black Knight though. Not to say I'm not happy with the product. I think for the price it is very very good.

What do you guys think of the Sovereign IV? I look at it and feel completely disappointed. I was hoping for a real upgrade to its IA abilities (you know, its primary purpose). Instead, we see a marginal bump to its defensive abilities and a ton of effort spent on its secondary weapons.

I can appreciate that one track of TC 3 and the RAV/shredder boost is valuable. It just does not seem to do it for me. I guess what I wanted to see was at least an extra inch of AOE and another point or three of FRS. I suppose that for the points, it is entirely serviceable...I just seemed to be hoping for somewhat of a return to what I hear the old timers talk about with it being a premier support vehicle; and that got my hopes up.

The Templars already have the Trebuchet, which has a decent AOE, a high RAV/Shredder value and 2 IAs instead of the normal 1. Giving the Sov IV similar stats would have just left you with 2 very expensive options for Fire Support Models. As they are now, you have two very diverse options to pick from when designing an IA section. If we'd given the Sov IV a 4" AOE like most every other Fire Support mini, you just would have had to choose from 2 expensive data cards.

Yes. Giving the Sov IV any higher FRS would have mean an almost 100% accuracy with its IA attacks. (when undamaged).

Yes. Giving the Sov IV any higher FRS would have mean an almost 100% accuracy with its IA attacks. (when undamaged).

Wait and that would be bad because...

Just another example of the "Fangs" trying to keep us down :blues:

OK, let's talk a little Knights strategy here. Obviously the Duelist is one of the best CAVs in the game but I have never yet found myself in a situation where I have used the EST on one. Do you use it? If so how and when?

Its one of those weird situational items like a IFM on a superiority CAV.

The Duelist is a Brawler, up close and personal. Its high repair stats and rugged are there to ensure it can take a beating and keep on ticking. Get a pair of duelist into position and hold ground.

Also having the Duelist use its EST means your Crusader is free to use its second action (Its first would be ECM) for something else like shooting, repairing or calling in a strike.

I use the EST all of the time. I move into a decent fire position, and then park myself - Centurion, Duellist, and Crusader. The Duellist EST and the Crusader ECM, and all three fire. I have found it to be very effective. If I have to move, I fire the ECM from the Crusader for protection, and then move the group - depending on the target that presents itself, either fire EST and shoot with only the Centurion, or fire with both w/o EST.

I love the Duellist specificly because it has the EST.

Mike

I use the EST all of the time. I move into a decent fire position, and then park myself - Centurion, Duellist, and Crusader. The Duellist EST and the Crusader ECM, and all three fire. I have found it to be very effective. If I have to move, I fire the ECM from the Crusader for protection, and then move the group - depending on the target that presents itself, either fire EST and shoot with only the Centurion, or fire with both w/o EST.

I love the Duellist specificly because it has the EST.

Mike

I can vouch that this is pretty damn effective, and painful!