Emmel Eitch

People of the Desert Wind

Ok, since I love you all so much (and I'm a sucker for free playtesting), I've decided to let you all see a preview of the new Sublist to be introduced in the new Faction book. Keep in mind that this is a "preview" version of the rules and things are subject to change between now and when the book is printed (couple months). So without further ado....

People of the Desert Wind sublist

Army List:

Senet Net'merew

Ah'radivh, Brother of the Sands

Anwar, Dust Devil Sergeant

Tariq

Mi-shir

Fatima

Atifa

Ibrahim

Khamsin Herdsmen

Khamsin Rangers

Khamsin Dervishes

Khamsin Raiders

Khamsin Lancers

Khamsin Mounted Archers

Khathan

Dust Devil

Non Unique/Adept

Ah'radivh, Brother of the Sands

Anwar, Dust Devil Sergeant

Atifa, Wielder of the Sky

Khamsin Raiders

Khamsin Dervishes

Sublist Army Special Abilities:

Sokar is Near.

Mobile

All models in a Khamsin sublist may take a Ranger move before play. They do not gain the Ranger SA however. Models that already have the Ranger SA do not get to make 2 moves.

Cavalry Heavy

Models with the Cavalry SA take up only one slot (instead of the normal two) for purposes of Troop size.

Delayment

The Khamsin are experts at misleading their enemies so that they separate from each other and enter the battle in disarray. The Khamsin player may nominate a number of enemy player's Troops for Delayment based on the size of the game being played as shown in the Delayment Chart. If a troop is Delayed they do not deploy on the board in the Deployment phase as normal, but instead enter the game on a later turn as detailed in the Deployment Chart. The Khamsin player decides which troops to Delay before Deployment and after seeing all of the troops that his opponent(s) are going to Deploy. Models in Delayed Troops do not add bonuses to the game for any SA they possess (such as Spy or Tactician) while they are off board nor does the Troop itself add any cards to the Deployment or Initiative deck until they arrive. Once they are deployed, their SAs add their normal bonus to the game, as long as it applies ( Spy would not apply outside of the deployment phase).

In games involving more than 2 players, a Khamsin player may decide to Delay units from more than one enemy player, but he does not get any extra Delayments. Also no player can have more Troops delayed than would be allowed to one Khamsin player by the game total.

For Example: In a 2000 point game involving players A, B, C, and D where players A and C were Khamsin players, the most Troops either players B or D could have delayed would be 2 since a Khamsin player gets 2 Delays in a 2000 point game.

In the case of multiple Khamsin players, they roll a die to determine who gets to pick a Troop to Delay first with the rotation going around the table Clockwise after the first player's pick. If a Khamsin player chooses another Khamsin player as his target for Delayment, the targeted Khamsin player loses one of his unused Delayments instead of having a Troop Delayed. If by the Initiative of picking the target Khamsin player no longer has any unused Delayments, the targeted Khamsin player simply chooses one of his previous choices for Delayment to be nullified. In this cased the nullified pick would Deploy as normal. In games involving more than 2 players, a Khamsin player may decide to Delay units from more than one enemy player, but he does not get any extra Delayments.

Troops that include a model with the Tactician SA or Solos with less than 3 Damage Tracks are ineligible for Delayment. If the Khamsin player has no valid targets for Delayment, any unused Delays are simply lost.

Delayment Chart

1-1000 points 1 Troop

1001-2000 points 2 Troops

+1-1000 points +1 Troop

The amount of turns the Delayed Troops are Delayed is based on the distance between the Khamsin player's Deployment zone and its nearest Opponent's Deployment zone.

Deployment Chart

1-24” 1 Turn

25-48” 2 Turns

every additional 24” +1 Turn

After the set amount of Delayed turns has passed, the Delayed troops Deploy as they would have normally, anywhere in the original deployment zone in the beginning of the next turn, before the Initiative Deck is shuffled. They then put Initiative cards into the Initiative Deck as normal. These Troops do not get a Ranger move.

I'll be there. Unfortunately I wont be the one using them... And not looking forward to being the brunt of that delay...

I love the idea, not sure I like the Nefsokar player gets to choose the delayed troop.

Boy, 1 turn for every 24 inches. So, my 8'x 12' table would cause a 4 to 5 turn delay... Fun...

so summary:

Nef gets to

1. delay the enemy

2. make a ranger move with all the cavalry getting them a good way to their enemy fro the get go.

3. Have a full cast of cavalry making that charge since they only take 1 spot per instead of the regular two...

4. Then they get to cross the river for anyone that did happen to get killed in that charge

Man that is some serious heat there...

Add in the Dust devil that has like an 18 inch charge and with its warmaster and they are definitely moving it across a table. Archers wont be liking them to much.

so summary:

Nef gets to

1. delay the enemy

2. make a ranger move with all the cavalry getting them a good way to their enemy fro the get go.

3. Have a full cast of cavalry making that charge since they only take 1 spot per instead of the regular two...

4. Then they get to cross the river for anyone that did happen to get killed in that charge

No Cross Death's River on the sublist. Just lots of Cavalry.

Which I like better, I still haven't figured out Cross Death's River ye.

THanks for the preview Mike. I'll try it out on Mondayy

Ok, also, bit confused on one subject, and just curious on the creators thoughts behind it...

Its possible to delay a mega solo, but not a lesser one? Like a lesser one is too stupid to fall for the trick or something?

Another question: summoned models...

For example, does a crusader player have to declare whether he /she will deploy the gaurdian angel in the beginning rather than summoning it later before or after the Nefsokar player chooses which troop to delay?

Is a summoned model eligible to be delayed?

Ok, also, bit confused on one subject, and just curious on the creators thoughts behind it...

Its possible to delay a mega solo, but not a lesser one? Like a lesser one is too stupid to fall for the trick or something?

This is apparently the intention.

Yeah, it looks pretty neat, and I like that Dervishes and Raiders come off the Adept list. I'll miss my Tomb Guards, though... hmm.

Have to give it a try.

While I don't think its been discussed yet I would think that the Crusader has to declair his deployment for summoned units before the delay.

I see a the delay choices being made right before the models are set on the table via the deployment phase, thus the units would be built and set.

again, I haven't heard anything offical on that subject. Just common sense thoughts.

Mad Pat

While I don't think its been discussed yet I would think that the Crusader has to declair his deployment for summoned units before the delay.

I see a the delay choices being made right before the models are set on the table via the deployment phase, thus the units would be built and set.

again, I haven't heard anything offical on that subject. Just common sense thoughts.

Mad Pat

Maybe I'm reading you wrong, but I'd say that a summoned creature that is not initially deployed isn't affected.... now if all clerics are delayed, then the summoned creatures that are not deployed ARE tacitly affected.

Example of my interpretation:

5 units

1 unit with cleric deploys

1 unit with cleric deploys

1 unit with neither cleric nor summoned deploys

1 unit with summoned deploys

1 unit with summoned does not deploy

2000 point Desert Wind List can:

delay 2 out of the first 4 units, but not the 5th since it's not deployed

That's my read... since I'm a literalist and the word "deploy" was used in the rule...

choosing models to delay occurs after the opponent has chosen which troops to deploy, so choosing not to deploy a summonable creature occurs first

Choosing to delay a summonable creature that was going to be deployed as normal does NOT prevent the player from bringing it into play via the Summon action. If it is not summoned beforehand it comes into play after the allotted time has passed via the Delayment ability.

for any of you DFW folks we will be testing this list at JASCO next Thur night.

Mad Pat

Looking forward to it, Pat. We missed you last night. :)

I like the new rules except for the Delayed enemy troops. The idea is excellent but the execution I believe needs a little work.

Problem-

OK on a standard 48" table, the Cav force comes charging in and may or may not be able to engage its opponent and the mounted archers (if they have any) will get to shoot perhaps w/o return fire if the enimies archers (if they have any) are delayed. At the end of the turn new units appear wherever their warlord wants to drop them in their deployment zone. If the player never left their deployment zone then they get placed ready to pound on the cav... perhaps in a better postion than if they were originally deployed (especially if you fient your attack well) Cards are added to the deck, which means the Cav force is now at a disadvantage. Then the infantry swarms the cav. This looks like it is an advantage to the infantry not the cav.

Solutions-

1. If there was an extra turn that the non Nef was delayed.

2. The non Nef player had to deploy their unit in a specific area like within 6" of this token or they are on the table but can only take defensive actions and their card is removed from the deck for the first turn.

Thoughts? :ph34r:

I like the new rules except for the Delayed enemy troops. The idea is excellent but the execution I believe needs a little work.

Problem-

OK on a standard 48" table, the Cav force comes charging in and may or may not be able to engage its opponent and the mounted archers (if they have any) will get to shoot perhaps w/o return fire if the enimies archers (if they have any) are delayed. At the end of the turn new units appear wherever their warlord wants to drop them in their deployment zone. If the player never left their deployment zone then they get placed ready to pound on the cav... perhaps in a better postion than if they were originally deployed (especially if you fient your attack well) Cards are added to the deck, which means the Cav force is now at a disadvantage. Then the infantry swarms the cav. This looks like it is an advantage to the infantry not the cav.

Solutions-

1. If there was an extra turn that the non Nef was delayed.

2. The non Nef player had to deploy their unit in a specific area like within 6" of this token or they are on the table but can only take defensive actions and their card is removed from the deck for the first turn.

Thoughts? :ph34r:

A couple of other possibilities:

3) They have to enter from the board edge, via a move action, rather than simply appearing anywhere in the deployment zone.

4) They have to deploy wherever they were originally deployed before being delayed.

Some combination of the above would definitely make this ability better. I'm in favor of a combination of #2 and #3, myself. Have them enter from, say, a six-inch strip on the edge of the table directly behind where they would have deployed (centered on the leader's original position).

These are also great options!

My choice would be to place a token where these units would enter play (on the outer edge of the deployment zone.) When they activate they must use an action to move onto the board from that point.

This way the Cav knows where they are comming from and can act accordingly. This gives the feel and play of having a tactical advantage due to scouting and Cavalry.

Well, thinking about it from a couple points of view, i think that the setup of how it works currently is fair and justified. I still don't like the idea that the Nef player gets to choose the delayed troop instead of some form of random delayment.

No matter how the troop is determined, it does not give the nef player any form of advantage unless they charge full gallop across the table because as stated, they are only delayed for so long.

Then when thinking about it, being able to pick the delayed troop, all depends on who the enemy is and wwhat they are playing. Yes, I might delay the enemy archers, or instead I might delay their meatshields (if they are in separate trrops). For some, maybe its delaying the magic. The crusader player may elect not to deploy a summoned model in the beginning, but if he only has one cleric to do the summoning then I could just delay that troop instead and actually get the double whammy.

Yes, you are correct, as a nef player you have to do your charging or make your plans based on the idea that the delay will only last so long. But, that is the game of Warlord for you. You just have to make sure that you make that delayed time work for you, whether it be to take out a bunch of enemy models or simply getting yourself into a better tactical position to launch your attacks from.

Sometimes that delay is simply going to help you cross an open area to get to a covered one. And that can make a huge difference too.