Sign in to follow this  
lstormhammer

Picture this

The only other player to "get it" while we were making up character's quickly scrapped his dwarven cleric idea and instead made a human cryoptographer/treasure hunter named Indus Johann. His main weapon was a whip and he was fluent in many languages and histories. :)

I converted a Han Solo figure by removing the gun, adding a hat and added a piece of leather as the whip to give it the right look.

Well, if we're wishing...

I've been trying to find minis to fit a long-term role-playing game that is about to reach it's final arc.  So far, I've been able to find reasonable likenesses for 7 of the 9 main characters. (PCs and NPCs alike)  The last two have been really hard, I'll describe them below.  If anyone knows of an existing mini that fits, or can be reasonably modified, feel free to let me know.

Note: Characters are for a Wheel of Time/Song of Ice & Fire game.

1. A Wolfbrother (from Wheel of Time).  He is in his 30s, average height with short, cropped hair and a stern expression.  Muscled, but not bulging in any way.  He carries a sword (longsword or shortsword would work).  Usually wearing simple clothes suitable to sneaking in the woods and fighting.  When wearing armor, it is simple and unadorned.

2. A barbarian (Dothraki HorseLord from Song of Ice & Fire).  He is also in 30s, squat stature, with a long braid and a smirk on his face.  He carries both a cleaver and an auroch (machete?).  He wears clothes suitable for fighting, and no armor.  My problem finding a mini for him is finding a barbarian-like figure *not* in a loin-cloth, with the particular weapons and braided hair.

I guess, in general, it's hard to find minis with varied hairstyles...for both men and women.  Someone noted in another thread that female figures only came in butch-cuts or hair-to-the-butt.  I could say nearly the same for male figures...either they have shoulder-length hair, nape of neck length, or bald.  I think I've seen one top-knot.  We need braids, close-cropped, and longer for men.  For women we need braids, nape of neck, shoulder-length, and bald.  :)

Bobalus the Swordmaster - Dwarven Earthdawn character.

Ahem - Take one GW Dwarf Siege Gun master gunner ('rennaissance' style, floppy hat with feather in, 'slitted' doublet and large boots, with  a sizeable paunch - looking to his left, left arm outstretched holding taper, right arm bent behind his back, large powder horn on right hip), replace taper with milliput handkerchief, drill and pin sword to right arm so that it is pointing directly up his back, apply scabbard to left hip and replace powder horn with chicken drumstick.

Paint Scarlet and Blue doublet and trousers, black boots and hat, red and blue feathers, red handkerchief.

- So now it looks like he's just neatly sidestepped a thrust (difficult with the belly on him) and he hasn't even needed to bring his sword into play yet, as he's still fighting with one hand behind his back and as soon as he got the 'taunt' skill I just knew the handkerchief had to come into play.

Okay, this poor PC is dead (fighting neogi in the phlogostin :( †)

but. . .

A gibbon hengeyokai naginata kensai! †Kenji Wu!

Oh, was he fun to play.

I have another character I'd love to get sculpted. He is Captain Henrik Grimm, aka, the Sea Dragon. He is a human pirate who wears a wide-brim hat w/ feather, an eye patch (even though his left eye isn't really missing), baggy, flowing shirt and pants, and a knee-high cavalry style boot on his right leg. His left leg ends at the knee and has been replaced by a magical prosthetic consisting of a skull for the stump-bucket and a skeletal lower leg from the knee down. The skull has a star sapphire and a star ruby in the eye sockets. He wears full-plate gauntletts that have a wide slot on top of each wrist (magical Manoples; a bastard sword sized Flamberge sword blade extends from each when in battle). On his right hip is a large holster with a 5-barrel carbine in it, and a large battleaxe rests on his left hip. He wears a wide sash under hisweapons belt. The colors are black for his boot, pants, and hat; brilliant scarlet for the sash and feather; and white for the shirt. The shirt is the style that has a lace-up placket and gathered cuffs. So, what does everyone think?

Oh, I forgot to mention, Captain Grimm is 6' 4" tall, while Graf Karl Wolfgang Eisenherz von Drachensberg is 7' 0" barefooted. In armor, the Count is roughly 7' 8" tall.

I just finished converting the perfect miniature for one of my characters.

Aengus McCorkindale is a Highlander,who when orphaned, was raised by wood elves. His adoptive father insisted he not give up all the ways of his birth father. He thus wears a kilt and bowl haircut. He is a Ranger.

The figure I used is #2291, Garish McRae. I cut off the top of his staff, and drilled out the top of his right hand, and all the way through his left fist.

I had earlier switched weapons on #2063 Ametrine Earthlite, and a Highland Cavalryman, so I used the axehead pugged into the right hand, and cobbled together a sword with a piece of wire, the cap of the staff, and the cav sword.This went in the left hand(yes, he's a lefty). I took the battered Highland shield out of weapons pack #1 and glued it to the painted figure's shoulder belt.

The weapon packs could provide the axe and sword, if there were ever any at my local shops! Everyone    grabs them fast as they come in.

I have to echo the sentiment about crafting characters around mini's, not the other way around. †All of my recent characters have been modeled after a mini I saw that I loved. †That is one reason why I play so many characters, because I love so many minis †:D

I do end up converting alot, and one mini I have yet to see done well is the human mage. †Derek Whiteraven is fairly close, but is an older sculpt. †I wouldn't mind seeing an updated version of this guy. †Other than he, they usually have the pointy hat thing which is rarely done well. †Even then, few of my characters are old enough to pull that off.

I would love to see an adventuring mage, with NORMAL clothing (who dungeon delves in robes, anyway).

I am in on this. It would be a portrait of one of my favorite characters, Allegra Starbreeze. She is a half elf bard. Her top would be a tunic-like shirt with a "V" neck, all in white trimmed in light blue. Her pants a fairly form fitting and in tannish color. Her boots are knee length and a med. brown. Her lute is slung over her back. her sword is out, but pointing down-ward, tip resting on the ground, while her hand seems to "casually" hold on to it. Her head would be slight;y cocked to one side and she would have a whimsical smile. Like she is listening to someone talk thier way out of something. Her hair is slightly longer than shoulder length.(  Hmmm, Isotrmhammer, if my sorceress dies in your adventure I may have to "re-create" Allegra for your game. She is such a fun whimsical character!) No cloak. Got a picture around here somewhere that I drew a few years back. One of two versions. The other costume is a lot more "fantasy/ different"

It was an off the shoulder thing fashioned after the outfit worn by the chick with green hair (whose name I don't remember) from the Robotech series "Southern Cross" The one Bowie found in the Robotech masters ship.

Lady tam