Sign in to follow this  
Dane

DHL 2738: Helena, Female gladiator

Here's Helena with skin and hair done, green basecoats and the very first level of shading.

How do you like her hair?

I know I missed a bunch of mold lines a the sword handle and her thumb. This one had some pretty bad lines, and I thought I'd gotten them all.

My plan for her shield is kind of up in the air. I either want to make it green like the fringes of her armor with a white design on it, or white with a green design. The armor is going to be an attempt at a yellow-bronze NMM. Which shield layout do you think would look better? I'm leaning toward the green shield for color cohesion with the rest of the model. A huge object of white might detract from the rest of the model. Also, should the inner part of the shield be the same color as the front?

post-1018-1147877566_thumb.jpg

post-1018-1147877587_thumb.jpg

I like her thusfar, Dane. The hair looks good, but IMHO could use a thin layer of black to tone down the highlights just a bit. I like the green you have chosen. I would go with a predominantly green shield on the outer portion with brown on the inner. If you were feeling adventurous, you could freehand some woodgrain. I see you have done some darklining--don't forget the front thighs and the greens where the leather meets the belt/armor. I look forward to more!

I think it looks great so far. Jabber has good point about darklining. When I first start a mini I usually do all the darklining first (most with brown liner) and let it dry. Since there is no other paint on the mini yet it can get a little sloppy. I wait for it to dry then clean up mistakes with a basecoat thick layer of white paint.

Thanks for the input guys.

Funny story...there used to be darklinign in those spots, but it was too thick, and I slowly whittled it down to almost nothing. It's visible in person at angles, but not in the pic. I'll have to hit it again. You see how thick my darklining that's left on the shield is, that's about how thick it was on her legs, and it made me cringe.

Still working on this technique.

Very thin dark lines are good- if they start out thick and get whittled down that's a good thing. Just make sure you odn't leave any bits of white primer showing. I think I can see a bit of your dark line on the thighs in the picture, and looks liek you're using a brown that's the same value as the green. It doesn't read as a dark line, because it's not darker than the colors around it.

Try holding your hand out in front of you, and close your fingers. You'll see an almost black line around each finger. That's why most people use the liners for dark lining- they are all very dark. Painting a model is like stage make up- everything should be exagerated in order to make it show up on so small of a scale.

Very tidy painting though!

For darklining I like to use a 3/0 brush with MSP Brown Liner thinned out a bit. Just get a little bit on the brush, place the brush at the end of a crease where two parts meet and just let the paint flow out of the brush, it'll follow the crease on it's own. If you don't have or can't get Brown Liner, try mixing a little black into your brown and thin it down with water and flow-improver. I usually aim for about the same consistancy as I use for a wash.

I got my MSP Brown Liner after I'd done her darklining, so I'll hit her again with it. I'd tried to darken the brown enough, but since it sarted at a very middle value, it didn't darken quite enough.

Here's an update!

I id all the shading/highlighting on the green leather. I'm not happy with it though. The transitions are too abrupt. I think part of the problem is that I don't know where the highlights should GO. No formal art training and all.

I darklined around her legs with Brown Liner, man that stuff is great. I also put some in her eyeslits and between the flaps of the leather, etc.

However, when I was basing her armor with that awesome Amber Gold, a small puffy spot appreared. I tapped it, and it came off, leaving a crater and exposed pewter. I've put ne coat of primer back on the area, and hit it again with the basecoat, but there's still a small circle visible. I'll hit it with another dab of primer tonight. I'm hoping it'll work, as I've put so much time into the mini thus far, I don't want to have to strip her.

post-1018-1148567032_thumb.jpg

post-1018-1148567055_thumb.jpg

(For those of you who couln't manage to find the blemish, it's on her left-side breast armor.)

Good looking work thus far,interested in seeing the finished article.

Particularly looking forward to seeing where you are going with the yellow basemount ::D:

However, when I was basing her armor with that awesome Amber Gold, a small puffy spot appreared. I tapped it, and it came off, leaving a crater and exposed pewter. I've put ne coat of primer back on the area, and hit it again with the basecoat, but there's still a small circle visible. I'll hit it with another dab of primer tonight. I'm hoping it'll work, as I've put so much time into the mini thus far, I don't want to have to strip her.

Use the crater to your advantage.

If she's an experienced Gladiator, she'll have picked up a few dings and dents. You might consider accentuating the crater as a dent and add some slashes and cuts on the shield, sword, and armor.

A quick look over at the Reaper Gallery might yield some good examples of battle damage.

Might be interesting!

Thanks

AWhang

Battle damage is always cool. Go forward.

Neat to see the darklining in progress as I have no idea what i am doing with regards to that.

The green is a wild choice, looking forward to completed project.

Another update. I've done the highlighting and shading of her armor, and put green on her shield. The shield could probably use one more coat, it's tough to get an even coverage on such a large surface. I really like how her armor turned out. Going to leave her boots unpainted til I sink her in a base. I'm thinking a sandy floor like the Colosseum.

post-1018-1148921898_thumb.jpg

post-1018-1148921920_thumb.jpg

Not sure what I want to put on her shield. I've beenlooking at Greek shield patterns, and nothing really pops out at me. I'm deciding wether the freehand should be a grey/white pattern or a pattern thatmatches her armor color.