Sign in to follow this  
dargrin

02639: Manticore and a Camo Experiment

Manticore I am at a creative block on what to do with the base. The CAV I am trying out a tree or forest camo. These are really bad pics but it's late and I really don't feel like going back down stairs and retaking them.

As always comments/questions good/bad are encourged.

post-1360-1147923001.jpg

post-1360-1147923012.jpg

Nice work on the minis. One question on the manticore--do you want suggests as to what to do with the current base, or are you willing to cut it off and/or bury it? If you are willing to modify the base I would suggest more of a rocky base as if he were on an outcrop.

The forest camo it very cool. Unfortunately, it does too good of a job camoflauging--the various parts of the mini run together. From what I have seen (and I am by no means an expert) there is a fine line between having camo and being too camo'd where the details of the mini are lost. I humbly suggest having the cockpit black and at the very minimum darklining the various cracks to you can see where one part ends and another begins.

Another thing to consider for realism is that no matter how well camouflaged a vehicle, eventually you will get wear on the corners where the metal will show through. That might help to break up the "too good of a job". The mini's look great.

If the metal base of the manticore will fit onto a large plastic base, you could glue it to the base and use some green stuff to blend it in. Don't worry if your putty is rough- it's going to be ground. You can then glue sand onto the whole base for dirt, paint that all shades of brown, and use static grass or other foliage scenery bits. Woodland Scenics has a very nice product line for basing miniatures. This would be a fairly simple solution to give your manticore a more stable and scenic base.

A little bit of green liner in the recesses of your cav model will help, and perhaps you could give the shadowed areas of your model some glazes with green liner to give it more deffinition. I would only reccomend the glazes if your paint is thin enough to have no texture. If the camo has made texture on the model, I would call your model a wonderfull table top mini and not worry about shadows (other than some dark lining) And I agree that dark cock pit windows would make your cav peice more 'realistic'.

That aside, nice work and hope this helps :)

If the metal base of the manticore will fit onto a large plastic base, you could glue it to the base and use some green stuff to blend it in. Don't worry if your putty is rough- it's going to be ground. You can then glue sand onto the whole base for dirt, paint that all shades of brown, and use static grass or other foliage scenery bits. Woodland Scenics has a very nice product line for basing miniatures. This would be a fairly simple solution to give your manticore a more stable and scenic base.

I don't know much about CAV painting but Amy has some good advice for the manticore base. One alternative that I use for basing (because greenstuff is kind of pricy to to use in a lot of basework) is regular old DAP spackle. You can find it anywhere. I usually get a small tub of the stuff that spreads on pink and dries white. This stuff is easy to shape and mold and can be covered in sand just like greenstuff. I am experimenting now with mixing tiny scenic rocks and sand directly into the spackle before application to give more texture.

Another good thing for bases are the various textured mediums like the ones Liquitex makes. You can find them at Michael's or Hobby Lobby.

The camo is quite impressive. The problem with painting camo on a mini is that the purpose of camoflague (hiding or breaking up the outline of the person/object) is in direct opposition of what we strive for in painting minis (making the sculpt look good and be noticed). There has to be a balance between the two. Personally, I don't highlight camo'd minis. Most military vehicles I've seen do have some points where the paint has rubbed off, but usually either it gets painted back over or it is small enough that it wouldn't show up at this scale. Through glazing and darklining though you can create the shadows and the effect of the light hitting the model on the unshaded portions.

A few months ago I visited the Patton Armor Corps Museum at Ft. Knox. Instead sitting there in awe of all these wonderful tanks, I spent my time examining how light hit the tanks. If could figure out exactly which cable I need to download the pictures to my computer from my cell phone I'd post the pics. Anyway, what I noticed is that you don't get the hotspots or highlights like we're used to painting. The parts of the tanks that were hit by the light weren't "highlighted" but just simply not in shadow. Also, the parts that were in shadow, the entire panel or side of the vehicle in was in shadow. No fade or blending from shadow to non-shadow. The exception to that were some older tanks that had rounded hulls and turrets. Don't know if that helps any or even makes sense, but there it is.

I actually find the camo to busy for a miniature. As a camoflauge scheme I think its effective, it reminds me of an experimental scheme and material used on some French Char Bs prior to WWII. It looks fresh off the factory floor but then in the CAV universe they could always look like that because of the materials used on the outer skin. I think it would be better to at least apply some form of wear and tear just to make the model pop.

Cammo, when painted on a small scale, has a tendancy to look a bit to busy. I have found it is better to simplify the pattern and use less of it when dealing in scale work...as opposed to rattle can cammo on your buddies 69 apache truck or whatever.

I like the manticore paint but agree that the base takes away from it. More dynamic would be cool, maybe even put a light snack on with him.

Although I like the doo dads on the Manticore I think cutting the base off is the best option. I will see if I can come up with a large base.

As for the CAV I will see if I can rough it up a bit.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will make sure I have better pics next time as well.

Although I like the doo dads on the Manticore I think cutting the base off is the best option. I will see if I can come up with a large base.

Dear God!!!!!

Please leave his doo dads intact!!! Aneutered Manticore is just sad.

Dear God!!!!!

Please leave his doo dads intact!!! Aneutered Manticore is just sad.

I was talking about the base doo dads. He never had the other kind. Why do you think he looks soo mad?