Emmel Eitch

Preview of the "Lock Shields" Army SA

Pardon my ignorance, but does the Master Spearman SA grant the ability to attack through a rank in front of it? If so then the formation would be similiar to the historical phalanxes (which were originally used by the Greeks, Phillip II of Macedonia improved it by using longer spears and by slightly increasing the space between soldiers so that more of the spears could get through the front of the formation).

My guess would be no. At least not yet. Obviously its still in playtesting so they may decide that this is a good ability to add as well. Hard to say, but the only way to melee through another model (that I can remember at the moment) is with the Crusader's magic spear.

Pardon my ignorance, but does the Master Spearman SA grant the ability to attack through a rank in front of it?

from Emmel's post in the "Master Spearman" Thread.

So yes, Master Spearman gives the models Reach, Trencher, and Piker.

Historically speaking gun powder weapons were the beginning of the end for armored knights and the like due to the fact that even primitive weaponry could punch through armor. So I would have to ask.. does this special ability work against individuals with the Gun SA? Or do those with the gun SA have a harder time hitting but still can hit... that 'other game' makes armor saves at a -2 due to the fact that gun powder weapons are able to pierce armor and shield easily.. any thoughts?

Once you go down that road, you might as well claim that the Gryphon can only fly 6" because his wing lifting surface isn't large enough for his weight. Reality checks are detrimental to good (fantasy) game design. But then again, I am a firm believer in KISS (keep it simple, silly).

Patrick

Still looking for a good meaning for the other half, TELL :;):

Pardon my ignorance, but does the Master Spearman SA grant the ability to attack through a rank in front of it?

Thanks, but unfortunately I don't have the rulebook yet, so I have no idea what Reach, Trencher, and Piker does. I'm currently bidding on a Warlord book on Ebay so hopefully I'll have it soon.

Thanks, but unfortunately I don't have the rulebook yet, so I have no idea what Reach, Trencher, and Piker does. I'm currently bidding on a Warlord book on Ebay so hopefully I'll have it soon.

Reach means you lend to support to attackers if you're behind them, just as if you were in B2B with the target model. Trencher means you get to add that Reach support on Defensive Strikes. Piker is a bonus against cavalry models.

With Reach and Trencher and a formation of guys, the whole crew is getting support bonuses.

PS

Thanks. Yeah, that could be nasty in a formation. I think I know what my next box'o'minis is gonna be.

Who am I kidding, there will be many boxes'o'minis. :lol:

As I understand it the primary attraction to gunpowder weapons in their early stages was that they were very cheap indeed and required almost no skill.

And you know, in a world jam-packed with fire-weilding mages, carrying large quantities of explosives on one's person might noticeably shorten one's life-expectancy.

Unlike some other games spear users don't have the ability to attack over top of another troop, rather they ranked behind another model and add to the potency of the attack being made by the intervening friendly model (Reach).

Trencher allows the intervening model to gain the Reach models support bonus even when making a defensive strike.

Piker makes you more effective against Cavalry.

It wouldn't be hard to take advantage of the formation at all, A unit of 11 models could inbed 3 crossbowmen within the wall shield wall easily.

Historically speaking gun powder weapons were the beginning of the end for armored knights and the like due to the fact that even primitive weaponry could punch through armor. So I would have to ask.. does this special ability work against individuals with the Gun SA? Or do those with the gun SA have a harder time hitting but still can hit... that 'other game' makes armor saves at a -2 due to the fact that gun powder weapons are able to pierce armor and shield easily.. any thoughts?

Once you go down that road, you might as well claim that the Gryphon can only fly 6" because his wing lifting surface isn't large enough for his weight. Reality checks are detrimental to good (fantasy) game design. But then again, I am a firm believer in KISS (keep it simple, silly).

Patrick

Still looking for a good meaning for the other half, TELL :;):

Hmmm... I didn't know that including the statement "except Gun SA" was overly complex. I am a firm believer in the KISS principal as well.. but if exceptions are already being made for sure shot.. including a gun exception makes no real difference.

So use the shield wall to protect the crossbowman and a mage (there to cast dispel), flank with a cavalry charge to get their archers. I'm wondering how this would look force list wise. Gonna have to add up some points during lunch.

[MOD] Split off discussion of Cavalry Models and a Faction's ability to deal with Archers to it's own thread so the Lock Shields, since it is a new SA does not get sidetracked too far. You can find the split posts over in Factions and Tactics under Dealing with Archers, SA: Lock Shield and Cavalry [/MOD]

The Lock Shields ability ahs gone through a lot of revisions and there was a lot of research put into it to make it function well. If you want a good idea of what it would look like, watch Troy. In the first attack on the temple Achilles and his men Testudo under their shields 3 ranks deep and ward off the ranged attack. This is the idea of how this would look.

This is NOT an uber skill. This current version is balanced and effective if you use it right. You can technically move while your shields are locked. You move first, then lock shields, next activation repeat. As for defensive strikes, if you are making them you're in base to base anyway, so there's not a whole lot of point to locking shields.

The biggest drawback to this aility is the requirement to be in base to base formation. Yes, that means you are firestorm food. Still, a smart player can use them to great effect. They do require a bit more tactical thought though to play effectively. :B):

Looking for an official discussion/explanation for the Gun SA vs shieldwall. Someone mentioned simplicity... I mentioned well sureshot is an exception so the elves still work... gunpowder traditionally blew the crap out of armor when it came about.. was curious if the Gun SA exception could be added?