25 replies to this topic

#16 Kengar

Kengar

Godlike

• Members
  • 1129 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:24 AM

The Warlord Core rules has a nice painting guide included. ^_^
If there's a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness, then I'm riding a tire swing above it!

48 Orcs in 28 Days

#17 Redfeild

Redfeild

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:06 AM

Its not a book or even a teaching aid but I sometimes get inspration from some vidio games.

I am currently playing and old PS1 game called Ogre Battle. The way the units are set up reminds me of Warlord and the way the individual characters are drawn makes me think of minis. I look at the characters and I can see parralels to figgure painting. Every time I play the game I end up wanting to paint afterward.

#18 Lastman

Lastman

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:13 PM

Color Mixing Recipes for Portraits by William F. Powell

A treasury of skin tones and how to highlight and shade them. Also hair and eye colors. A steal at 10 bucks.

#19 flameberge

flameberge

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:59 PM

Foundry Miniature's Painting and Modelling Guide by Kevin Dallimore

#20 MamaGeek

MamaGeek

Godlike

• Members
  • 2188 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:30 AM

The book I read that improved my painting the most was Color Theory by Jose Maria Parramon.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Proud Member of WAMP

#21 karazax

karazax

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:16 AM

Gameforces Magazine is a spanish miniatures magazine that is also available in english. They have an electronic version available thru the Zinio app on IOS devices and an android version is supposed to be coming soon.

(Some how my original post about this disappeared... If there is a problem with me posting this information please let me know so I don't make the same mistake again.)

#22 LizardMage

LizardMage

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:44 PM

Privateer Press' Warmachine/Hordes books all contain painting advice.  They might be a touch specific at times, but the techniques are fairly solid, and explained in a very simple manner.  Very helpful if you are getting back into or starting painting.  

Conan: I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind. Almost 20 years of pitiless cumber! No rest, no sleep like other men. And yet the spring wind blows, Subotai. Have you ever felt such a wind?
Subotai: They blow where I live too. In the north of every man's heart.
Conan: It's never too late, Subotai.
Subotai: No. It would only lead me back here another day. In even worse company.
Conan: For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.

#23 Darsc Zacal

Darsc Zacal

PAX Prime Veteran

• 5781 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:01 PM

Good to see necromancy is alive and well.

I've never before seen a 9 year old thread that gets resurrected on an almost yearly basis.
  • kay13, Pingo, dispatchdave and 2 others like this
"Yeah, we have magic and elves and crazy wizardocracies, but gender equality, *that's* a fantasy."
- Pingo's alter ego.

"I had to drown my dolly in the bathtub to try and still the voice of the mirror mommy telling me to do bad things. And then an octopus stole my clothes!"
Buglips' Gnome.

#24 Fromper

Fromper

Rabble Rouser

• Bones Supporter
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:00 PM

Hey, I know that these books here really helped me out when I got started on painting miniatures.
They cover all of the basics in a simple format and even have a step by step guide in the back of the book going over several models and helping you use everything you learned in it. It really helped me move along quickly through the basics.

It's Games Workshop's "How to Paint Citadel Miniatures" book.

They even have a book on making terrain as well. And for 20$ these were a great buy!

Here's the link to the painting one. Just use the search engine they've got to find the terrain one if you want too.

http://store.us.game...r...113&System=

<<<<<}-Myth-{>>>>>

Anyone else have any experience with this book? I've seen it at some of the local stores around here. It seems all they have locally is Citadel paints, brushes, and other painting supplies. Reaper minis, but no other Reaper supplies.

I'm almost done with the first Reaper Learn to Paint Kit, and just primed the minis from the 2nd LTPK last night. I'll probably wait to finish both of those and see how much I've learned before deciding if I know enough to dive into my Bones kickstarter, or if I should buy more of the kits. But a book like this might help with knowing how to handle all those Bones minis.

#25 Loim

Loim

Sir Stupidly Special

• Bones Supporter
  • 2958 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

I have several of the old Citadel books on painting. They have some decent information in them, but they seem to be geared more toward painting armies. I'd recommend borrowing a copy or getting one through Inter-Library loan if possible rather than buying. In addition almost all the information contained inside can probably be picked up through articles on CMON or Brushthralls. Just my .02.

En Taro Tassadar, Executor. - Artanis

In the house of upside down

Cellar's top floor, attic's ground

Laughing cries, and smiles frown

Found is lost, and lost is found

SHAZAM! 

#26 Bloodhowl

Bloodhowl

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:38 AM

Good to see necromancy is alive and well.

I've never before seen a 9 year old thread that gets resurrected on an almost yearly basis.

It's a pinned thread, so threadnomancy should not be an issue. it's pinned so it can be updated and readily accessed.  ::D:

A good book for reference I found was Woodlandscenics "The Scenery Manual" : http://woodlandsceni...em/C1207/page/1

Sure they plug their products through out, but it still has good info on using molds, making trees, water features etc...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users