• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:37 PM

point taken.

My position conceded.

This time.

he he

It may not mean much, but you have gained my respect for this statement.

P.S. With this post I have gained Instigator status. Yaaay post 100!
How dare you speak to us like we work for you. Selling false hope, like some new dope where addicted to.
-Ben Harper, Black Rain

Your too young to know, that your too young to go. There's no freedom to be found lyin' face up in the ground.
-Ben Harper, Gather 'Round the Stone.

If you just come to the booth to play a friendly game on our table, bring your cardboard and coke-tabs.
-Reaper Bryan

#17 Sergeant_Crunch

Sergeant_Crunch

God of Overly Complex Tactics and Tactical Errors

• Members
  • 9452 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 02:27 PM

Using the previous example and the mole were like the woodchuck, how much wood would the mole chuck if the mole could chuck wood?
What if anything I said made sense?......the world may never know....

I'm not so sure I'd want to get hit by a missile with a "dog brain" AI.
My blog:  http://scsminimadness.blogspot.com/

#18 Spike

Spike

Goddess of Cupcakes and Cute Orcs

• Black Lightning
  • 6960 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 02:36 PM

I suppose there would be no harm in players agreeing ahead of time on a "house rule" regarding additional movement to burrow upward through a tall hill or mountain, but otherwise the ruling in the book seems fair.

Incidentally and somewhat off-topically, would not a model doing a non-vertical take-off (i.e. charging horizontally off a cliffside to become air-borne) still take his one-action penalty for takeoff?

linkmeg.gif
Aio, quantitas magna caseus est!

http://28mmtheatre.blogspot.com/

#19 spiritual_exorcist

spiritual_exorcist

Godlike

• Members
  • 3547 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 03:02 PM

point taken.

My position conceded.

This time.

he he

I agree your position does make sense, it just isn't part of the game as it stands, but as others stated, it makes a nice house rule.
There's nothing I wouldn't do to win. But I never hurt anyone for any reason other than sticking a dog's skull on a stake.

#20 urion

urion

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:44 PM

I suppose there would be no harm in players agreeing ahead of time on a "house rule" regarding additional movement to burrow upward through a tall hill or mountain, but otherwise the ruling in the book seems fair.

Incidentally and somewhat off-topically, would not a model doing a non-vertical take-off (i.e. charging horizontally off a cliffside to become air-borne) still take his one-action penalty for takeoff?

This is actually impossible according to the rules in the Core Rulebook. In order to jump off the cliff you would need to make a "Leap" stunt, which is a combat action. You would also need to use an Invoke Special Ability action to use Flyer, which is also a combat action. ::):
How dare you speak to us like we work for you. Selling false hope, like some new dope where addicted to.
-Ben Harper, Black Rain

Your too young to know, that your too young to go. There's no freedom to be found lyin' face up in the ground.
-Ben Harper, Gather 'Round the Stone.

If you just come to the booth to play a friendly game on our table, bring your cardboard and coke-tabs.
-Reaper Bryan

#21 Outkast Samurai

Outkast Samurai

Metal Daimyo

• Black Lightning
  • 2055 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:37 PM

Stubb, are you saying that you are having problems with non-corporeal moles? :blink:
Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
Mark Twain
BL:OH018

#22 Shadowhunter

Shadowhunter

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:37 PM

Wouldn't that be unfair to the Burrower? If a flyer and a Burrower are stetting on the ground level 0, the flyer takes off and lands on a level three hill and doesn't have to pay for the elevation change why should the Burrower have to pay? :huh: Seems like its just adding unnecessary complications and penalties to me
(\_/)
(0.0)
(.\ /)

()()
(-.-)
(")(") This is Bunny and Rabbit. Copy Bunny and Rabbit and this message into your signature to help them on their way to world domination.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#23 spiritual_exorcist

spiritual_exorcist

Godlike

• Members
  • 3547 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:52 PM

Because then things would get really complicated. Dropping Elevation is free, gaining Elevation costs movement (Movement Cost Modifier Table), so if you wanted to start charging Flyers when would you charge them? In landing they are decreasing Elevation, so you'd have to charge them to gain the Elevation when they take off, which to me is the whole reason you pay an Invoke action to take off or begin burrowing.

Burrowing is a far nastier ability, flying is often a big disadvantage as you are easily shot at by anyone on the field, while Burrowing makes you safe and sound witht he exception of a couple of spells.
There's nothing I wouldn't do to win. But I never hurt anyone for any reason other than sticking a dog's skull on a stake.

#24 Stubbdog

Stubbdog

Obssessive Over-Analyzer

• Bones Supporter
  • 6979 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 09:40 PM

Stubb, are you saying that you are having problems with non-corporeal moles?

I know of at least two in our back yard and possibly three.

They may as well be non corporeal, I have had them for 4 years and cant get rid of the suckers.

#25 Shadowhunter

Shadowhunter

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 06:41 AM

Stubb, are you saying that you are having problems with non-corporeal moles?

I know of at least two in our back yard and possibly three.

They may as well be non corporeal, I have had them for 4 years and cant get rid of the suckers.

I can vouch for non-corporeal moles, I know I have some in my front and back yards and no matter how hard I try I can't run them away or kill them... not that I would uh... try to kill them since it's illegal to do so where I live. Forget I said anything about killing moles; they are such nice, cute, and cuddly things... hmmm; maybe I should get a mole hunting cat... ::P:
(\_/)
(0.0)
(.\ /)

()()
(-.-)
(")(") This is Bunny and Rabbit. Copy Bunny and Rabbit and this message into your signature to help them on their way to world domination.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#26 madcobaia

madcobaia

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:07 AM

maybe I should get a mole hunting cat... ::P:

We had one of those, it worked out pretty well. after a month or so, our yard was clear of moles, both corporeal and non-corporeal. Our neighbors, however, suddenly had a strange increase in the number of moles in THEIR yard... an interesting coincidence, I always thought. :devil:
I have nothing interesting to say. Amuse yourself elsewhere.

#27 ecs05norway

ecs05norway

Godlike

• Members
  • 1188 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:02 PM

So, if I have to pay extra to come to the surface from under a level three hill, how far under the level-zero ground I started at do I climb up from? One level? Two? Five? I'm burrowed far enough underneath that I can't be enaged, after all.

Reaper peeps have explicitly said before that the exact elevation is not questioned for flyers; that they're just "somewhere up in the air". The same applies to burrowers, they're "somewhere underground". Surfacing is surfacing is surfacing is a zero-inch movement under all circumstances, as explicitly defined in the book.
-- "Here is the price of freedom: Your every drop of courage, ounce of pain, pint of blood. Paid in advance." -- Andromeda

#28 spiritual_exorcist

spiritual_exorcist

Godlike

• Members
  • 3547 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 01:46 AM

Reaper peeps have explicitly said before that the exact elevation is not questioned for flyers; that they're just "somewhere up in the air". The same applies to burrowers, they're "somewhere underground". Surfacing is surfacing is surfacing is a zero-inch movement under all circumstances, as explicitly defined in the book.

I'm pretty sure at this point that isn't being debated, you're completely correct. I think we've turned more to musing of whether you could introduce the idea of depth and elevation. It would probably be possible, but it would complicate matters, and it would put limits on Burrowers and Flyers that might make them less effective than their points costs suggests they should be.

#29 wildbill

wildbill

Tulsa Warlord Gawd

• T-Town Crew
  • 3173 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 06:30 AM

Here's another Burrowing sorta question:

Now, I know this is going to sound kinda lame since I'm basing it off of a movie, but I assume pretty much everyone has seen Caddyshack, right? Well, remember all of the tunnels the gopher had in the movie? He could pretty well move in a hurry from one hole to the other. I wonder if there was some way to represent that with a Burrower? You know, they basically have the equivalent of a road or something to move on. Or are they supposed to representing the fact that they are digging the tunnels during game time? If so, then if they pop up and then go back down and essentially go back the way they came, the tunnel would be there and I would think they could move faster. But, that's just me. ::):

Wild Bill :blues:

"Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building."

My Indian name is "Runs With Beer".

#30 Shadowhunter

Shadowhunter

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 07:08 AM

Unless of course they are digging through sand, or really soft dirt that collapses in behind them, or in rocky ground where the rocks fall and block their tunnels, or under the forest where they had to squeeze through the tree roots. Yes, I posted tidbit of useless ramblings just so I could get my 100th post ::P:
(\_/)
(0.0)
(.\ /)

()()
(-.-)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users