Emmel Eitch

Glory of Payanak (1.2)

283 posts in this topic

With the mass update of the Data Cards to 1.2, we've decided to prune out old tactics discussions as they may be confusing the newer players.

So, what do we do now?

Let's pretend that I am a new player, what should my strategy be? What kind of tactics will be effective under the new rules?

LilMoose: I just bought the starter set. What other models should I buy? I have Khong-to, the clericy lizard, and some warriors. What else do I need? Do any of you know where I can find the model for the reptus captain ( :grr: ), my FLGS doesn't have it? Please help a newbie out.

Well Moose, Those warriors are are good, but your gonna need some other grunts because the warriors are adepts, so you can only have 1 troop. I would invest in some breakers, they have a solid hit and an ok defense. Just make sure to keep them behind cover. I would pick up a Ra'am to fill up an elite slot. He is a nice cheap hero and packs a real wallop. You of course will need some leader models, but the captain hasnit been sculpted yet ::P: , so you'll need to use a proxy. I personally really like our mage, he is of nice low cost and has a high casting power. You might also want to pick up a blister or two of archers. Lastly, get some clutchlings, they can provide nice cheap reach support for your warriors and breakers, and a unit of them can fly across the field with their runner ability.

You guys got any other suggestions?

Well here goes a 1000 point list with the Warrior Guard rule attempted.

Troop 1

Khong-To

Divine Favor

T'Kay

Bandagex3

Warriorsx5

Clutchlingsx3

Troop 2

Audt

Lesser Magic Weapon

Warriorsx3

Archersx4

Troop 3

Audt

Skull Breakersx2

Clutchlingsx2

Troop 4

River Troll

This is the list that I'll be trying out to see if there is a solid playability for the old lizards till the faction book. I'm hoping to go head to head with Castlebuilder's Reven (although I'm reallllllly hoping for his Crusaders so I have a chance ::P: )

New idea for a sublist.

Pureblood sublist

Khong-To

Chai-Uut

Audt

T'Kay

Ra'am

Warriors

Archers

Skull Breakers

Longstrikers

Clutchlings

Nai Khanon

Warriors, Breakers, and LongStrikers are grunts

Archers and Clutchlings are adepts

Nai-Khanon becomes a non-unique solo

The Clutchlings made adept to represent the fact that they are young and untried so wouldn't be fielded in large numbers in a Pureblood faction.

I suppose at least in the face of Reptus Warriors becoming adepts, the good thing is with +1 MAV the Long Strikers are at least a little more useful.

After a good look at the new list it won't be too bad. I think the warriors changing to adept was so we take more than a bunch of then and maybe an archer or two, which as sad as it is to say was a viable army. We probable will get a warrior sublist (like the revren tomark sub-list)

After a good look at the new list it won't be too bad. I think the warriors changing to adept was so we take more than a bunch of then and maybe an archer or two, which as sad as it is to say was a viable army. We probable will get a warrior sublist (like the revren tomark sub-list)

I'm kind of the opposite, I love to mix up my troops. I have about 15 warriors because in big games I would have 3-6 in every troop. This is going to change the way I format all of my armies, but I will learn to live with it I guess. I just think removing the ability to mix your basic warrior model really stinks.

They made up for it though by reducing Uru's point value :)

Well here goes a 1000 point list with the Warrior Guard rule attempted.

Troop 1

Khong-To

Divine Favor

This is the list that I'll be trying out to see if there is a solid playability for the old lizards till the faction book. I'm hoping to go head to head with Castlebuilder's Reven (although I'm reallllllly hoping for his Crusaders so I have a chance ::P: )

Since you're bringing Khong, see if Tim will play 1501 points. Then you force him to bring a Warlord too.

PS

I'll have to see what point level he wants to try as soon as he gets back to me. I'd actually like to try both. The 1501 is cool because it balances with the fact that there will be warlords on both sides and the 1000 to see if taking the Khonger at a lower point level is viable.

If I'm playing my Reven, I can do up to 6000 pts or so. I'm ok with anything less than that.

Castlebuilder

played my first game with the Khong last night. Only a 1000 point game, both sides took a warlord.

Had a road connecting so everyone was fighting fast.

I won the game eventually, but my opponent had 7 out of about 15 make their tough rolls and stand up.

In the end, the difference of the game was that I got his cleric before he could heal his warlord and my cleric was able to heal mine.

But, i didnt really get to test out the idea of not having a bunch of warriors, cause as I just said, I took the Khong and and warriors in each. Without the second troop of warriors, I think I would have been toast. My opponent was hitting enough as it was with my warriors DV. His MAVs were pretty high themselves.

But, soon enough, and I will be trying out the one troop of warriors and see how I can fair.

All right fellas, here's a thousand pointer fer ya to look over. I will probably be playing in a tournament in a couple of weeks, so it needs to be a bit versatile.

Troop 1:

Chai Uut

T'kay, 3 bandages, 1 hold

Warriors x6

clutchlings x3

Troop 2:

Audt

Breakers x8

Clutchlings x3

Troop 3:

Audt

Archers x3

Troop 4 -5 :

River trolls

Troop 6, my favorite :

Uru

999 points (if I remembered the cost of hold correctly, its 20 points right?)

30 models

6 cards

Any advice? I'm thinkin about dropping the cleric and taking a mage. I had great success with a mage and archers vs the dwarves. If I do that, I will probably switch all the clutchlins into their own troop and put the archers in with the wizard. Any advice?

Edit: The more I think about that mage the more I like that idea. Consider that list to look like this.

Troop 1:

Chai Uut,

Ssudai, 3 iceshards, 1 fireball

warriors x6

archers x3

Troop 2:

Audt

Breakers x7

Troop 3:

Audt

Clutchlings x6

Toops 4-6:

Trolls and Uru

999 points

6 cards

29 models

You think this list is any better? I dropped a breaker and the cleric. Should I drop something else and musicianify the clutchlings? I'll try and test both lists, but who knows what will happen.

Pick a model to drop so you can give your breaker troop a musician. Remember they are slower and if you want to keep your battle line together you'll need that musician to speed them up. Other than that it looks good.

I'd rather musicianify the clutchlings so that I can have a speed troop. There will undoubtably be a battle which calls for retrieving something. The warrior troop will probably be slowed up a bit anyway because of the archers.

I'd rather musicianify the clutchlings so that I can have a speed troop.

But are they musically inclined or maybe tone deaf ! ::o:::P::lol: