Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ye_Old_Wiseman

Warlord gameplay + Warcraft style= Amazing?

3 posts in this topic

So I just got into Warlord, like, yesterday. I picked up Razig's crew and the rulebook. So reading all the rules and checking out all the Minatures, it seems to me that a person could play a fantastic Troop Based RPG with the game. Like in Warcraft, Characters and troops go through the map fighting monsters and the opposing faction. With the Generic stats in the back of the book, this would be very easy.

So have two opposing players, and a "GM" of sorts. Each player uses a warband of his/her choosing, then roam the tabletop fighing the "GM's" Mosters to gain level ups, and special items. (Set up by the "GM") So then the game becomes more of an RPG than a fullout Tabletop battle. The only thing not included in the core rulebook is a "Leveling-up" system of experence. (Unless I missed it)

Just an idea, this is what I'm gunna do when I get a campaing togeather with my buddies.

If you didn't want to use a gm, you could just create some random movement rules for the monsters, and then agree on a certain number of items and what not. Try this on for size:

For monsters, select a bunch of stuff from the various army lists. For our example, our map will have 2 trolls, an ogre, 2 groups of 4 goblins, a minotaur, and a krungbeast (this would have to be a big map). Now, Scatter these critters across the map, being sure to spread them equally. No fair dropping the krung in your opponents deployment zone and only having to deal with some goblins yourself. Now, make 8 counters (any number of counters would work, but eight felt right to me), with the name of a magic item on the bottom of each one. Place these randomly across the board. You could even put some of the more juicy ones in the possesion of monsters (you could put a GMW with the krungbeast). Whenever a player collects one of these tokens, or kills the monster that is carrying it, they get the item. If the model that is carrying that item dies, the item falls on the ground until another model recovers it (loot action).

Now, at the end of every turn all of the monsters would move their full movement in a random direction. If you roll a d10, the face will point in one direction like an arrow, that is how you tell which way each monster will go. The monsters will of course pay the movement penalty for any terrain etc., and will choose a new direction if they come across an obstacle (like a wall or a cliff). They can go around small obstacles (trees, wells, rocks, small buildings). If a monster comes within 12" (any distance could work, you and your opponent just need to agree on it) of a player's model, the monster will move straight towards it and attack. The attacked players opponent will control the monster for the purpose of fightiing, moving it around once the initial target is dead, etc. If the monster finds itself no longer near the enemy, it will cease attacking it (if the minotaur attacks a group of six justicars, and the 5 unattacked members run off and escape the 12" boundary, then the minotaur will leave them alone, provided it's random movement doesn't bring it within range of them again). Monsters perform all actions simultaneously after both players have activated all their troops.

With this set up you get the "leveling up" because the items will make characters stronger as they find new things and kill monsters. You could award bounty points for every monster killed as well as all enemy models defeated. You could even create enemy buildings to destroy if you wanted a real warcrafty experience. The incentive for retrieving items would be to help smoosh your opponent. The character that gets hold of somethuing like the GMW that the krung was guarding could put alot of hurt on the other character. You could also invent new items like a "potion of bandage" to heal up characters and keep them in the fight.

I like this idea. Being a fan of Warlord, Warcraft 3, and home-brew dungeon-crawling mini games, I think I might have to give this a shot. Great ideas for rules there, Moosey.

As far as leveling-up is concerned, the Campaign Rules in the back of the core book deal with this sort of thing. Models don't gain levels per se, but they can increase their fighting abilities and gain new SAs as they dispatch enemies.