Emmel Eitch

Changes introduced with Data Cards 1.2

If the archers and the melee models are in the troop they activate at the same time, and can better coordinate their actions. If the archers want to run and keep a screen of warriors between themselves and the nearby enemy soldiers, they can do that easily if they are all in the same troop. If the melee models are in a different troop, either the warriors move into "screening position" or the archers run, and whichever you choose can be a drastic mistake if the enemy soldiers activate in the middle.

I still don't see this as being much different. The 2a+4w troops are probably resting their flanks on each other. If one troop drops back, a flank is now exposed allowing access to the other archers that haven't moved yet. It seems to me that the safer bet is to keep the archers and screeners separate, then drop back the archers first followed by the screening troops. Now if the enemy activates between the moves of the two screening troops, there isn't as much at risk due to the hanging flank.

Rich

I still don't see this as being much different. The 2a+4w troops are probably resting their flanks on each other. If one troop drops back, a flank is now exposed allowing access to the other archers that haven't moved yet. It seems to me that the safer bet is to keep the archers and screeners separate, then drop back the archers first followed by the screening troops. Now if the enemy activates between the moves of the two screening troops, there isn't as much at risk due to the hanging flank.

Rich

It isn't so much the dropping back, it's the slipping sideways. Once my back is to the edge of the table, I have to head out to the side, and that's where the problem comes in. Now you activate after my archers (before my warriors), and put all your warriors between my archers and my melee guys.

If I have a pair of 2a+4w troops, I can slip one in each direction and provide support for each set of archers.

Let Dartiir break the Adept rule with his archers some time and see how it works.

PS

It isn't so much the dropping back, it's the slipping sideways. Once my back is to the edge of the table, I have to head out to the side, and that's where the problem comes in. Now you activate after my archers (before my warriors), and put all your warriors between my archers and my melee guys.

If I have a pair of 2a+4w troops, I can slip one in each direction and provide support for each set of archers.

Let Dartiir break the Adept rule with his archers some time and see how it works.

Yes, I would like to try that some time. So far when his back has been to the edge, he has been surrounded. An advancing line should be wider than a screen + archers. If not, that probably means the game is over anyways. And of course, "sliding along an edge" eventually becomes "trapped in a corner."

I suppose the three 2a+4w troops could split up (something that would be very difficult with "pure" troops); it is more difficult for 6 models to surround a 4w screen than it is for 18 models to surround a 12w screen. However, it is easier to run around a 4w screen than a 12w screen, and it makes it more likely that at least one of the troops will be caught with bad initiative. A theory to be tested...

Rich

There is a trade off in that. While several mixed units can have a higher probability of one of the units being caught with a poor initiative, they also have a higher flexibility for keeping some of the screened models from being caught due to initiative.

A unit of archers and two units of screeners leaves only a single unit of archers to pin, with a single set of archer coherency to maintain.

Three mixed units with archers allows more flexibillity for fields of fire while maintaining coherency within the three units, and can allow radical repositioning of a unit without fear of coherency being broken.

A single unit of archers allows a single concentrated set of attacks, which can be very potent when the enemy is set up to take advantage of it. It can also mean a single enemy activation may be able to neutralize a lot of the threat.

Multiple units with fewer attacks can give the same fire in a turn, but forces the enemy to deal with multiple angles of attack over multiple activations.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both that a player can use to advantage.

Just noted that in the Necropolis list that the Vampires do not have the word "Vampire" listed on either the data cards or in the PDF . Its an important omission if you read the faction book . :rolleyes:

Just noted that in the Necropolis list that the Vampires do not have the word "Vampire" listed on either the data cards or in the PDF . Its an important omission if you read the faction book . :rolleyes:

That was an intentional omition in the PDF files. I shortened a lot of names in my database (like most Reven leaders) just so they would fit on a screen better.

I figure the Necro book gives a definitive list of which models are vamps. ::):