PaintByNumbers

How to make your own paint

18 posts in this topic

If you _really_ want to know what Anne is doing as a Paint Chemist, read these. And her watchers may need to take action if she starts carrying a slide rule around in her brush case.

The first is a cookbook for actually using ingredients/additives sold by Golden, aimed at artists who want the experience of making their own paint or adjusting store bought paint:

http://www.goldenpaints.com/justpaint/jp7article1.php

The second goes into paint chemistry & some of the chemicals used to do various things, in the context of art conservators (who don't yet have proven methods for conserving modern polymer paints):

http://www.tate.org.uk/research/tateresear...n/jablonski.htm

Back in the day, before young hooligans had these "Dropper bottles" and "paint pots" - they'd spend much of their apprentenceship under a master learning how to grind pigment and mix colors. Not like you kids today with your "Nosebleed Reds" and your "Disembowled Intestine Orange" and your "Oh Gosh, a Dragon Sneezed on Me and Turned Me Into A Crispy Critter Brown"

Back then our paint was made with all sorts of toxic stuff that if you sat with it in a room for more than 5 minutes, you'd die! And we liked it that way!

I want to work with lead red, arsenic white, cobalt blue, and that radioactive stuff.... ground up dead Egyptians for brown, I think they called it "morally reprehensible interference with human remains brown".

Sounds like a GW colour. How 'bout "explosive decompression pink" and "fatal amoebic dysentry brown"?

Back then our paint was made with all sorts of toxic stuff that if you sat with it in a room for more than 5 minutes, you'd die! And we liked it that way!

Yeah, but you didn't have to worry 'bout death becuase you still had a pile of unpainted lead.

Whats this new-fangled "lead" thing? Back in my day there was a lead shortage because all the alchemists were trying to turn it into gold! Seems like the found a way these days....

We used to take rocks and smush berries on them so we knew what unit they were! Back then the Peloponnesian Wars were considered "Moderns and Near future" and we liked it!

Now get off my lawn!

ground up dead Egyptians for brown, I think they called it "morally reprehensible interference with human remains brown"
If you would like to discuss /debate the ins and outs of waste not, want not Vs. Cultural treatment of the dead, that is a beekeepers topic.
Sounds like a GW colour. How 'bout "explosive decompression pink" and "fatal amoebic dysentry brown"?
^_^ those sound like cool colors.

No, no, don't invoke the Beekeepers Curse! I was TRYING TO BE FUNNY!

Further trying follows:

Back in my day, we didn't have lead, only uranium-235! I lament the decay of morality, family values, and radiactive isotopes, which sees the modern world lost in an overabundance of hysteria, dogs that marry cats, and lead-207.

You see, PbN, this is what happens when you try to reveal the alchemical secrets to the uneducated masses. Uncontrolled babbling, foaming at the mouth, jumping up and down...oh, wait. That's the Reaper forums, pretty much. :lol:

--Anne, back from the Con of Cons ::):

Well, they have achieved water soluble oils, so the next step is a retarder for compounding truly blendable acrylics

You know, really I'd just be happy with a layer of color changing nanites covering the minis and a remote control to set the color patterns.

Well, they have achieved water soluble oils, so the next step is a retarder for compounding truly blendable acrylics

Yes, and I *love* my water-soluble oils!! Am trying to decide which mini (or resin kit) I want to subject to my learning curve with them. :;):

--Anne

Yes, and I *love* my water-soluble oils!! Am trying to decide which mini (or resin kit) I want to subject to my learning curve with them. :;):

--Anne

There water-soluble oils? ::o: Wow, I have been away from painting for too long. Are these easy to find? Are there any brands people would recomment? I'd like to experiment with these.

--Anne

There water-soluble oils? ::o: Wow, I have been away from painting for too long. Are these easy to find? Are there any brands people would recomment? I'd like to experiment with these.

The best brand for artsy stuff as far as I'm concerned is Winsor & Newton, their water-soluble oils are the only ones I've experimented with, the line name is "Artisan" I believe. ::):

If you read their brochure on 'em it's fascinating stuff...they actually chemically manipulated the oil molecule to be water soluble but still think it's an oil molecule...so the stuff acts exactly like oils (has the transparency, etc.) only it cleans up with water instead of turpentine. ::D:

--Anne

p.s. they also produce a water-soluble linseed oil and stand oil...hee! It's so cool. ::D:

You know, really I'd just be happy with a layer of color changing nanites covering the minis and a remote control to set the color patterns.

:lol: That's a great idea! While you're working on that, I'll work on good polymers that go on as ultra-fine, dry powder (no 'float' or solvents needed), cure in seconds in certain UV light, and adhere to the mini on the molecular level. Oh, wait, those already exist. The trick is getting them to change color based on further UV treatments, preventing Simple Green Saunas and wasted time on poor color scheme choices.

If we get either nanites or UV-polymers to work, Crusaders would love it; offer Mercy and a unit switches sides and color scheme.

If we get either nanites or UV-polymers to work, Crusaders would love it; offer Mercy and a unit switches sides and color scheme.

LOL