dewen

Brush-on Over Spray Paint

13 posts in this topic

I spray primed a couple CAV models. I then applied base coat of Tamiya Color Spray Paint. After the spray base dries, I want to apply washes for depth and paint details (cockpits, missles heads,...) with my Vallejo and MSPs. The spray paint doesn't dry very flat. The brush-on paints aren't adhering very well. It isn’t bad but it is much different than how I am used to painting (prime and paint with a brush). According to Tamiya, "following the painting of the entire assembly, details can be added or picked out using enamel and/or acrylic paints" and that isn't going very well for me. I like the Tamiya spray paints because they come out fine and have a variety of colors. Any ideas what I can apply over the base spray paint to help adherence of the brush-on paints? Something clear of course so the base coat isn’t affected.

Testors Dullcote in the spray can will give you enough tooth to paint over, or whatever your matte sealer of choice is.

I use the Tamiya Fine Surface Primer as the base for most of my figures because it is very smooth. So smooth, in fact, that paint sometimes doesn't stick to it. When this is the case, I just hit the figure with a very light coat of Dullcote.

I'll try Dullcote. I love the stuff. Looks like I have another use for it. Thanks

I've heard of people actually using Dullcote as a primer.

We've recently switched to Tamiya over at the Reaper House; so far I've never had problems with MSP's sticking to it. Gus actually brought it up over at the Asylum this past weekend, and I did a quick prime job, basecoat, and rubbed it like crazy with only a teensy bit of loss on the ridges.

That being said, Dull Cote is good for spot work or as a coating on top of a primer, but I wouldn't recommend solely priming in it. I haven't tried Brush On Sealer yet to see if it works the same, but I'll do it the next time I get non-sticky primer.

We've recently switched to Tamiya over at the Reaper House; so far I've never had problems with MSP's sticking to it.

Can I count Anne as a convert, then?

We've recently switched to Tamiya over at the Reaper House; so far I've never had problems with MSP's sticking to it.

Can I count Anne as a convert, then?

Yes, Anne has been converted along with many others.

For my next trick, I'll convert you guys to paint while drinking bourbon...straight from the bottle.

I used Tamy with my models one time but the price was a bit out there for me so I switched to Dupicolor primers for that due to I'm using lacqs & enamels (mostly lacqs) with my models but I decided to give Tamy one more time for primering & I'm glad I did, I was truely amazed how well it primed a mini white or was able to get into the gaps, my other primers would have missed or in the case of the white, a light wispy grey.

good stuff

RM

Call me a freak (you probably already do), but I also much prefer the smell of Tamiya's Fine Surface Primer to any other primer. Floquil just smells nasty to me.

I switched to Tamiya a year or two ago and I've never had a problem with it. Best primer I've ever worked with. A couple of times when I couldn't find it in my area, I bought Mr. Hobby's "Mr. Base 1000." Seems like the identical formula. The spray can even looks like the same design right down to all the sections in Japanese. Just a suggestion for anyone having difficulty finding Tamiya.

I have tried Dull Coat as a primer. Found it very difficult to work on, cover, adhere, etc. I don't recommend that. It does work to make a surface more paintable. I've done that to pre-painted mini like the D&D ones so I can just touch them up without completely repainting them.

Dullcote over the spray paint did the trick. I cranked out a few CAV minis for my demo this week. I'll see if I can get some pics posted in Show Off. My camera isn't the greatest, but I'll see what I can do.