Hellsgate

Stripping paint off minis

26 posts in this topic

I don't any paint stripper whose time is measured in days. Heck, you might be able to strip a mini by soaking it in water if you do it long enough. My methods usually strip a mini in 30 minutes.

I have had great results after soaking a mini in Simple Green for 15-30 min then scrubbing with a tooth brush.

I have even better results with Simple Green in an ultrasonic cleaner. It gets all of the paint off with just a little rinsing to get the last bit out of the recesses. I was a bit expensive, but I am really happy with the cleaner.

Flynn- What did that poor mini do to ofend you enough to keep it prisioner in a jar of Simple Green for a year and a half? :rock:

I love Simple Green. It's safe, unlike some stripping metholds, and is biodegradable (save a tree!). I have enough projects going usually that I can soak something for a good long time and the paint just falls off. I've never had experience with the paint fusing to the metal, sounds odd. About the only thing I can say about it is that it does lose strength after a while. In fact, when I get around to pulling my Atlas out of the jar, I need to replace the solution.

I've been using Pine-Sol to strip paint for years now, though I have been contemplating switching to Simply Green for a while. Probably once the current bottle of PS is emptied . . . Anyway, PS is great for pulling old enamels off miniatures. An eight hour soak will pull the most heavily caked on Testors paints. I will put in one note of disagreement with the posters about - I have personal experience with the damage that PS will do to your hands. The first time I used the stuff, I was dumb enough not to wear gloves and ended up with severely burnt/dried skin that cracked and bled for MONTHS afterward. No fun at all.

The Egg

Uh, people, if pine-sol is pine oil, for crapsakes, don't think "pine trees" means "safe". It's a fine oil, and it's a solvent. Chances are it's a defatting agent as well. That would mean it rips the fat out of cells- a BAD thing.

I'm not badmouthing pine-sol, I'm just warning you that natural DOES NOT EQUAL SAFE! If a thing strips paint, it is best to treat that thing with respect, as no matter how untoxic someone tells you it is it can probably really do nasty things to skin and eyes.

I'm off to google pine oil..... here's the MSDS, Australian, for 85% pine oil.

http://www.chemsupply.com.au/files/catalog/1CHCQ.pdf

Summary: causes injury to eyes. Rinse like crazy if you get it in your eyes. Avoid skin contact, repeated or prolonged exposure can be irritant. Avoid flame. Pretty much OK apart from that.

Flynn- What did that poor mini do to ofend you enough to keep it prisioner in a jar of Simple Green for a year and a half? :rock:

Well, I didn't like how it was going, so I put it in the jar and then forgot about it. The only time I would remember it was there was when I was reading to forums about paint stripping.

Since that one, I no longer strip minis. If the paint job offends me (which happens more often than I'd like), I simply throw the mini away and start on a new one. The most I've thrown away in a single day is 3, which happened at ReaperCon '05.

Since that one, I no longer strip minis. If the paint job offends me (which happens more often than I'd like), I simply throw the mini away and start on a new one. The most I've thrown away in a single day is 3, which happened at ReaperCon '05.

Those poor homeless mini's....

Oooh diorama, badly painted minis with a burning barrel at the dump....

Seriously though, even if you don't want to strip them you can always ebay them as bits...

you could always sell them on eBay as "L@@K Pro-painted mini"

::D:

Something to remember about Pine Sol and Simple Green is that a "more is better" attitude is a mistake when it comes to how long you soak th mini. If you let it soak too long (days or weeks) the paint actually fuses to the mini so it's actually harder to come off.

This hasn't been my experience. I've left mine in for a few days, or a week, maybe more. The paint came off easy, and the metal looks clean and brand new.

Hello I used Simple Green a couple of weeks ago and I am not real happy. I had non reaper minis in there and some metal and some plastic . The plastics are fine, but not completely striped and I got tired of scrubbing. and the meytal one there is no paint left on then but at one point I had some paint of and some on and where the metal was exposed is now tarnished for lack of a better word. Does anyone have some advice?

Klean-Strip, at Home Depot. 24 hours in there, and a rinse with mineral spirits and the mini was bright and shiny again. No scrubbing needed. DO NOT get this stuff on your skin though.