Yoshi

D&D Cartoon

Anyone else remember the old D&D cartoon from 1983? Just read that it will be released om DVD this December. Dang, that brings back some old memories.

• Like 1

Yep..brings back old memories, but does it stand the test of time. I remember seeing one or two of those. The hook was that a group of kids got sucked into the game itself and were trying to escape (which I am sure did TONS to secure D&D's position as a scapegoat for fundamental religious PTA type people). It wasn't half bad though.. far better than most non-Bugs-Bunny toons of the period.

But will it be like seeing E.T. when it finally came out on VHS ten years after theatrical release? Will you be watching, shaking your head and muttering, "..and I couldda been watching the Smurfs.."?

It absolutely sucks. I've been watching it on Toon Disney at 6:00 AM on Sunday mornings when my daughter gets up early. It's painful. But I still watch it because it's so laughable, and there's nothing on but infomercials and church services on the other channels.

I always found it laughable that they had all these magic items but none of them did any damage. :wacko: Total opposite of the actual game. I think that the only time I saw any damage at all was when the Ranger (i forget his name) fired 6 energy arrows to melt an iron golem's feet together it then fell and broke apart.

That's the problem with catering a show for the younger crowd, Dargrin. You don't get tp see the blood and gore and Buggs Bunny did more damage with a wooden mallet than these guys did with their magic items.

IIRC, one guy, the cavalier, didn't even have a weapon, just a magic shield. As bad as they were, the temptation to buy is still there.....

That's the problem with catering a show for the younger crowd, Dargrin. You don't get tp see the blood and gore and Buggs Bunny did more damage with a wooden mallet than these guys did with their magic items.

IIRC, one guy, the cavalier, didn't even have a weapon, just a magic shield. As bad as they were, the temptation to buy is still there.....

Totally forgot about that. ugh! :blink:

That's going on my Christmas list!

I found a page with some really large/nice pictures of the box artwork. $50 may be a little too steep to ask for it for the holidays, too. But that would rock. Yes, I even know how cheesy they are. I also have a son who needs to be entertained and enlightened. This could be a pure win situation.

Don't know that I'd be able to sit down and watch them again, but I think Star Drifter has the right idea. The kids would love it. I used to like it as a kid, though I hadn't played it yet, but now that I'm all "growed up" and stuff (yeah right!) I don't know that I'd still like it.

I always found it laughable that they had all these magic items but none of them did any damage. wacko.gif Total opposite of the actual game. I think that the only time I saw any damage at all was when the Ranger (i forget his name) fired 6 energy arrows to melt an iron golem's feet together it then fell and broke apart.
Same thing with the G.I. Joe cartoon. They were "America's elite fighting force" yet they couldn't hit a stationary Cobra soldier from a supported firing position. Though for some reason they could hit precision targets on inanimates object at will.

As bad as they were, the temptation to buy is still there.....

soooo true, I remember actually trying to watch that every Saturday. I'll probably snag it when it comes out.

man Dec is gonna be a wild time for dvds for me, first PoTC2 now this one. Just noticed the release date, same day as PoTC2!!!!

anyone recall the cartoon with the 2 cars with the tv boxes that had faces on them the owners/drivers could take out. They were part of the race team I think. Can't remember the name of that one.

& yes I'd be scared if that was our armed forces training video (GIJOE cartoon) ::P:

ixminis---why he used the Force!!!!

anyone recall the cartoon with the 2 cars with the tv boxes that had faces on them the owners/drivers could take out. They were part of the race team I think. Can't remember the name of that one.

It was Pole Position, like the old atari game. I loved that one. One of the cars was a Mustang and the other was some futuristic sports car. If I remember correctly, there was a whole run of cartoons based on old video games.