Sign in to follow this  
theeaterofshades

Painting the Carnivorous Ape

Ok. Never have painted a black critter before. How would you paint the black fur for best effect? Also, How would you get the silver back effect that older male gorillas develop? Thanks for your help. I am going to be using the mini for my druid's wildshape.

-Matt

When I have painted apes in the past, I black undercoat them, then use dark grey and a little brown and purple mixed together to highlight the fur. (The easiest and quickest way is to drybrush.) I add a lighter grey to the mix and hit it a second highlight.

As far as a silverback goes, get some good reference pics off the net and use thinned paints to attain the right color gradient and pattern.

Good Luck, hope that helped a bit!

My recipe for apes is undercoat black, drybrush the fur with a 1:1 mix of the darkest brown I can find (Reaper Walnut, for instance) and a dark, dark gray (paints with names like "Charcoal" tend to be pretty good).

For a silverback, I add lighter and lighter grays to the mix as I highlight the back.

One thing I've noticed with gorillas is that there's often a browner patch on the top of the head. This spot gets a drybrushing of a reddish-brown, burnt sienna color.