Spartan6

The Ritterlich Republic

There are 5 things required for every old school Ritt army.  A Rhino, a Mastodon, and tanks, tanks, and more tanks!

Well they certainly have made that impression on my 42nd. Black Watch, and 11th. A.C.R. unit structures.

Half of the tournament entries this year (2017) at CAVCon where Ritter!  My 5th Dornheim Brigade unit (Marienburg Lancers in their light blue, black, and red scheme,) a NATO camo style unit, and a flat grey unit.  I'm waiting for the KS to drop to get my complement of tanks though I'm wavering from my early war German grey scheme I'd originally thought and maybe drifting towards NATO tricolor the west Germans were using.  Decisions decisions. 

• Like 2

I picked up my first Ritterlich units the other day to give my Rach an OPFOR, and they've gotten me thinking. It goes without saying that at some point I'm going to be getting a Tiamat or thirty(I saw firsthand at Reapercon what Silverbacks can do, but I'm a sucker for liberally applied AoE.), which in turn has me wondering exactly what kind of evil shenanigans are possible with Strike Points. For example, can a Tiamat use a different Strike Point for each rocket launcher in order to lay down a truly vast swath of destruction or to prevent losing your whole salvo to a single bad Strike Point roll? Can a Cougar target lock a Strike Point so it can EST that lock back to its buddies, then use its Phased Array to boost the Combat Rolls of all the rockets aimed at that point? Are there other evil tricks I'm missing?

I don't believe that you can split your strike point rolls up, but if you had a section of Tiamats each could fire at a different strike point.  Unfortunately the Tiamat doesn't have an Advanced Targeting Computer rating so it can't benefit from the EST, but you can apply the Active Phased Array to your strike point roll I believe.  If another unit in your section has a FCS (Fire Control Somethinganother) you could add another +1 to the roll.  The cool thing is your Cougar doesn't have to be in your section to help with it's APA as APA is universal to all friendlies.  So a Cougar in your Cataphract, Rhino, Sabertooth Attack Section could help out your Tiamat/Panther Section, while the Panther has a FCS to help as well.  That means you'd need a seven on your strike point roll.

Tiamat's are a little substandard when compared to the Raijin, as the Raijin has FCS AND Chain-Fire Pod.  Chain Fire Pod says that if you hit a strike point, you can pass that strike point on to friends.  So if you need to rain down rockets on one model (or location that has several models) Chain Fire can really help.  If Ritter had the Griffin model out, I'd for sure have two Griffin's, a Tiamat, and a Panther there to rumble.  you'd have two FCS to help one of the Griffin's, an Advanced TC to help an EST or target lock, and Chainfire to pass to the other Griffin and/or Tiamat.  So you'd need a seven with just this unit on your strike point roll.  If you had a Cougar running around dropping APA, you'd need a five for your strike point roll!  After that successful roll, the other units could skip the strike point roll all together and drop their rockets right on the strike point due to chain fire.

If you are playing with add-ons, you can tack on a FCS and a Chain Fire Pod which can help the Tiamats.  They also have counter battery which can impact that game but I need to re-read the rules and the FAQ before I comment on it!

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 9:31 AM, Weird-O said:

I picked up my first Ritterlich units the other day to give my Rach an OPFOR, and they've gotten me thinking. It goes without saying that at some point I'm going to be getting a Tiamat or thirty(I saw firsthand at Reapercon what Silverbacks can do, but I'm a sucker for liberally applied AoE.), which in turn has me wondering exactly what kind of evil shenanigans are possible with Strike Points. For example, can a Tiamat use a different Strike Point for each rocket launcher in order to lay down a truly vast swath of destruction or to prevent losing your whole salvo to a single bad Strike Point roll? Can a Cougar target lock a Strike Point so it can EST that lock back to its buddies, then use its Phased Array to boost the Combat Rolls of all the rockets aimed at that point? Are there other evil tricks I'm missing?

Following up on Ross's answer...

...using different Strike Points... no. You will declare a single strike point for the indirect attack, regardless of the number of weapon systems firing from that model. Additionally, if you miss the strike point roll, you will make a single drift roll, again regardless of the number of weapon systems firing (individually or as a salvo attack).  You could house rule it though and make a drift roll for each but it does slow up the game if there are a lot of rocket "boats."

...a Cougar target lock a Strike Point... no. The Cougar though could use one AP to target-lock the model for a rocket "boat" in its squad and using the EST to allow that model to add its targeting comp bonus (if available) to the strike point roll and a second AP for the Active Phase Array (provided the target is in its AoE) to provide a bonus to the strike point roll.

• Like 1