Sign in to follow this  
Brooding Paladin

Need mini painting advice

A few months ago I started painting minis for my boyfriend who plays Dungeons and Dragons.  Well I have found paitning these pieces of metal to be addicting.  As his Christmas gift I am painting him up a large bunch of minis.  I read the stuff on the website about painting minis, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions outside of what is posted on the site that could be useful in detailing minis to a greater extent, and making them look more lifelike.  Thanks :)   :)

Hey Hey-

That's really cool that you're painting for your SO.  He better appreciate your efforts!!! :D

Anyway, I just started painting about 3 years ago.  And one thing that really made a big difference was learning to use washes and inks correctly.  For example, I like to wash my models in a light black wash after I've completed them.  It really gives them a unified look and brings out so many details!!!  

Thats's my two scents-

Stern

Gosh, there's a ton of websites out there with better ideas than I can offer myself.  Here's a link to my home page:  Brooding Paladin.  Check the miniatures links to be connected to some of the more helpful sites I've found.  Until I get better I'm limiting how much advice I give, but many of these folks are fantastic!

Have a great time painting (and BTW - what a great gift to give!)! :)

Welcome aboard!

My best piece of advice:Paint, Paint, then Paint some more.

The more work you do, the better you will get. My friend WARLORD1 has only been at it a few months, and shows improvement with every batch he brings over. I've been painting these things for 35 years, and I'm constantly picking up new techniques from the real artists on this forum.(I'm really a Paint and Play type.) Don't be afraid to experiment, and ask honest appraisal.

Good luck, hope to see some of your work soon.

Gosh, there's a ton of websites out there with better ideas than I can offer myself

Your no slouch Brooding Paladin. Your work is very good!

Lady Tam

I am basically a novice BUT i have had somwe success with metallics for steel.

BAsecoat black. Drybrush several tmes with a dark, weathered metallic, then glaze/wash with black ink. Repeat several times, then with a bright metallic very lightly for highlights.

Smokingwreckage, here is a better technique that I've worked on over the years. Start with a black primer (which you did), then paint over with a very dark metallic, like Reaper Steel Plate or Ral Partha Steel, then drybrush with a lighter metallic, like Ral Partha Aged Metal or a mix of Reaper Steel Plate/Silver. The drybrushing should be VERY faint, so that it takes many, many coats. This should come out to having a buffed, somehwta worn, metal finish. It should also highlight and accent any raised details, like scrollwork. Give it a try and tell me how it works for you.

Ironheart- I've been away from my minis for a while, but having just started whimsically collecting Reaper minis, my passion is reigniting. I've actually used that method you described (also in hybrid with mine) and yes, it works up to look like old/industiral steel that's been polished and buffed to a gorgeous shine. Looks good under gloss too.

I've found, as you implied, that patience pays. The method really makes steel "surfaces" glow. Done lightly it even enhances large rounded parts like breastplates by putting that highlighting in *sigh*.

Sorry to gush but I have farmer's hands, and quite shaky ones at that. This method worked swimmingly well for me, so I'm in love with it.

I just discovered that you can drybrush metallic over black primer and get some really freekin' good chainmail.  Woo.

I still paint best over a white primer though.  I wonder, does anyone else dual-primer minis like I've started to?

I did with a dragon I bought. I black primered the body and white primered the wings because I plan on using an airbrush to get a better blend effect and have found black just sucks the color up too much. :D