284 replies to this topic

#226 Moezilla

Moezilla

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 01:17 PM

Btw, as I've stated above I'm new to the CAV 'verse and am looking at both Ritterlich and the Terrans as possible factions. Any reason to go either way? Or even both? lol
United Terran Marine Corps - 22nd Legion - Task Force Prowler Defending the Terran Federation, one battle at a time Lacuna, Aeris, Terra "You cratered my Nomad!"

#227 outek

outek

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 02:23 PM

Btw, as I've stated above I'm new to the CAV 'verse and am looking at both Ritterlich and the Terrans as possible factions. Any reason to go either way? Or even both? lol

You may want a salt shaker handy. :rolleyes:

Here is my take on them (I play mainly Terrans, but do have an Independent and Templar force at the moment; so I might be slightly biased):

Doctrines:
- Ritterlich: Both doctrines (Hunter's Edge and Rascher Streik) are both excellent. Hunter's Edge will greatly increase your chances of being able to activate a section when it is absolutely essential for your 'survival'. Also, it can have a psychological affect on your opponent (if they are familiar with the doctrine), by making them leary of taking any great chances tactically because they know that the next initiative card, if theirs, may be buried, leaving their units exposed (reduces their tactical flexability). Rascher Streik can allow you to prosecute a game of maneuver without seriously affecting your offensive capabilities.

Downsides: Hunter's Edge must be used at the right moment, otherwise, it loses its effectiveness. It may take a while to figure out how to time its use. Rascher Streik's effectiveness is dependent upon the types of units you will field and a savvy opponent can use it against you.

- Terrans: Contrary to what quite a few people think, the Air Superiority and Artillery Superiority doctrines are not the greatest (aka overpowering) doctrines available. However, they do allow one free strike per turn, as long as you have something available with FIST to call in the strike that has line of sight to the target. This usually entails a recon unit (or an infantry unit) exposing themselves to some serious incoming firepower against their low DVs. Timing is crucial for these doctrines because you have to sacrifice one of your actions to do it (instead of moving, ECM, and/or EST). But, if you call it in at the right time, it can be devastating (with good dice rolls) in conjunction with a section firing on the target(s) immediately following the strike. Rarely do I get the chance to use it every turn, as there are better things for my units to do.

Downside (additional): They lose their effectiveness if your opponent disperses their units.

Models:
Both have some good (and average) looking models.

Units:
- Ritterlich: Has some of the hardest hitting units available to any of the factions with commensurate armor protection. However, it comes at the cost of range. This is where the Assault SA comes into being extremely useful. They are a little short on electronics and other highly specialized SAs on their faction only units, but this can be compensated somewhat with open market units.

- Terrans: Has some of the best 'all-around' units available with quite a few electronics and specialized SAs. They are also somewhat hard hitting (depending on unit and target) but they tend to lack stamina. Once they start taking hits, they will usually go down quicker than most other factions, so combined arms (and roles) in sections are more important for Terrans. However, they have surprisingly good flexability on a tactical level because all of their units can do a little bit of everything in additional to their main role (not neccessarily as well as dedicated role units, but they have the capability).

It comes down to what faction(s) you like the looks of the models, their background, and their capabilities. If you like both, get a small core for each faction then get some multi-purpose open market units that can be used with either force.

(For specifics on unit capabilities or other info., check the threads for Terrans and Ritterlich if you have not had the chance)
Mansfield Bears Terraforming Division: Building a better world so you can destroy it.

#228 Chrome

Chrome

The way is forward.

• Members
  • 4157 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 02:27 PM

You're going to find that Terrans and Ritterlich are about as polar opposites as you can get tactics-wise. The Ritterlich are big on mobility and short on weapons range, so they like to get in close and mix it up. The Terrans models are a lot slower, but have more staying power. Their stats don't drop off anywhere near as quickly as the Ritterlich's do. The Terrans also rely a lot on off-table support from Strikes.

They have perhaps the best Faction Doctrines of any of the factions. The Terrans' Doctrines give them plenty of free strikes and the models to call them in with, while the Ritterlich Doctrines give their models the tactical abilities they need to give their players a slight edge.

-Chrome

My personal net worth, however, is measured in tens of dozens of dollars. - ReaperBryan

#229 Moezilla

Moezilla

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 03:05 PM

Thanks for the explanations guys, I appreciate it. Both doctrines suit my tastes, although I do mainly like having stand off capability as the Terrans seem to have and use to their best capabilities. It follows our modern military doctrine, which is probably why I find it 'comfortable' to understand easy enough. Ritterlich's seems to go for the brawler mentality, which I also like too. All depends on my mood I suppose but both of those sound interesting and fun to play. Have a couple deals in the works to get more CAV's, then I can sit down and work up some units. Might even work up an Independent unit as well, it allows a little more flexibility in using units from different factions. Templars also looked cool too, man there's just so much to enjoy in this game. :)

Btw, has the mini list over at Mil-Net been updated to the latest list of mini's available or is there a new list elsewhere? Reason I ask is I've found some mentions of other mini's I didn't find in that list. That's a great list, I have spent a little time getting to know the mini's through this list and even worked up a little spreadsheet with some breakdowns in it if anyone would find that useful. Can I add attachments to these posts, I could put it here if so. If there's an updated list of models, I could use that to keep the spreadsheet updated.

Gotta go run and take the wife out for our anniversary. :)
United Terran Marine Corps - 22nd Legion - Task Force Prowler Defending the Terran Federation, one battle at a time Lacuna, Aeris, Terra "You cratered my Nomad!"

#230 Sergeant_Crunch

Sergeant_Crunch

God of Overly Complex Tactics and Tactical Errors

• Members
  • 9334 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 06:37 PM

Ultimately it doesn't matter. Once you get bitten you'll want some of every faction. ^_^

I'm not so sure I'd want to get hit by a missile with a "dog brain" AI.
My blog:  http://scsminimadness.blogspot.com/

#231 Chrome

Chrome

The way is forward.

• Members
  • 4157 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 10:39 PM

IIRC the list on Mil-Net only has CAV models that have been released. So its a list of the actual miniatures, not every model that has a data card.

-Chrome

My personal net worth, however, is measured in tens of dozens of dollars. - ReaperBryan

#232 Moezilla

Moezilla

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:01 AM

Ahh, so THAT'S why I couldn't find some of those listed in the data cards. Makes sense now!

#233 Deguello

Deguello

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:15 AM

Ahh, so THAT'S why I couldn't find some of those listed in the data cards. Makes sense now!

Actually I bought a Mal Cav by accident the other day....because I am new....

I wish the packaging were better marked but no problem... Painting him right along with the rest of them

#234 Broode

Broode

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:23 PM

After looking over the most recent data cards and lurking the various CAV forums, I think I am seriously looking at an Adonese force. I like the EW aspect of the faction plus the slightly longer ranges on quite a few of their units. And of course, Elves are cool :B):
Broode a.k.a Omega Grymm

#235 NickT

NickT

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:16 AM

i go to get recruited and i walk into a drunken gun-wielding bar fight?

I'll come back after crashing at your sister's. ::P:

now that that is through with *zzzip!*

So,
Templars get better equipment.
Khardullis has fanatics
The Rach are big guys who talk a bunch of crap
...sorry, i am opposed to orc-mindedness unless bred into form and compact power and lead by a powerful wizard who wishes to modernise his crappy setting written by a prudish academian (at least once an energetic kiwi lets him do so!)...might never makes right.
Ritterlich...well, who cares about the pasties....
Terrans: at least they have the hutzpah to clean up after themselves...
and yes, humans are the scariest thing around...think about it.
Adon: sex appeal, yes, but do they have the oomph to back it up?
Who else is left?

any GOOD pitches?

I been lurking this thread for a while now, and here I see an entrance, My Name NickT, of the Doombunny Militia. The simple answer to your question is "yes, there is a good pitch. Mine." Many folks treat Mercs as an introductory faction. And indeed, we are a wonderful place to start... and stay. And friend, iwill tell you why: In this time of Galactic upheaval, when Planets and UCORs duke it out on epics scales, some one has to stand up for the little guy. If you wish your life dictated to you by people (er..elves or cats or german vampires or even freaky Jhem'hadar lookin' folks) then by all means, sign on with them. But if you are tired of fighting other people's wars, if you want to face the galaxy on YOUR terms, then Independant is the only way to go. I pick my units (and I'll freely admit the adonese and rach make some mighty fine CAV's) and I pick my battles. So Start a Merc Task Force and maybe someday we'll meet on the field on one side or the other, but we can always share drink like good soldiers of fortune.

~NickT

"...Personally, I blame Doombunny."

My humble art site: http://nickt.deviantart.com
Freelance Art Comissions Availible

www.arcticon.webs.com
Plays: CAV2; playtest C:SO
-Basic D&D, Basic D&D Modern Variant, Magic, CBT

#236 NickT

NickT

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:18 AM

The galaxy is filled with evil, cruel and irresponible despots wanting to destroy everything. To combat this growing darkness the Tempar Nation has become a proactive peacekeeping force. We have a simple goal of stopping fires before they start.

this reminds me of a certain nation that decided to get into a protracted "crusade" against "evil" thus leaving them close to economic straights and with very little taste for war.

templars are cool, but that's why i play warlord. Spartan VI, you said alot of good points on the terrans. they are now in my que.

Adon has great indirect?...i thought they screwed up ECW prett bad....(magic, ECW, very cute!)
and yes, i'll take a few large posters for my bedroom, please. (or, do Adon chicks go to thailand?)
oh, their CAV's Do look cool as heck...save the skitterbugs

i did re-check... Ritterlich has 3 of the big heavies: mastodon, Tiger, Rhino. she-it!!! are the Rach jealous? do the rach have heavies?

Malvernis...they have a crappy politik but their mechs seem solid...and they have that sacrificial aspect that allow syou to choose who dies accomplishing what...

Why not mercs? or better yet, play backplanet Republick of Vishantharyupstan?
make an army out of Open Stock eqivalent of T55's and Mig 21, withthe occasional M-60d or Su-27 for spice.
must have a uniquely camo in the bush paint scheme, all decals written in sanskrit or arabic
i'll play cheap morrocan/hindu-rock while in game, and speak in a pointed accent when giving orders....
(i'm sure the bollywood mafia/hassam would be on my arse for that kinda stunt, though)

You sir, are my hero.

www.arcticon.webs.com

#237 Broode

Broode

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:12 AM

After looking over the most recent data cards and lurking the various CAV forums, I think I am seriously looking at an Adonese force. I like the EW aspect of the faction plus the slightly longer ranges on quite a few of their units. And of course, Elves are cool :B):

A Malvernian Inquisitor has been urging me to follow Khardullis, because only Khardullis will assure victory in battle... :blink: I don't know anymore... :unsure: It kind of makes sense... :huh: yes, Khardullis will ensure victory to the faithful! :wacko: Khardullis is the one :wow:
Broode a.k.a Omega Grymm

#238 NickT

NickT

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 12:16 PM

A Malvernian Inquisitor has been urging me to follow Khardullis, because only Khardullis will assure victory in battle... :blink: I don't know anymore... :unsure: It kind of makes sense... :huh: yes, Khardullis will ensure victory to the faithful! :wacko: Khardullis is the one :wow:

Quick question did that inquisitor open up a umbrella with a spiril pattern painted on and spin it at you?
What ever happens man, DON'T DRINK THE KOOL-AIDE!!!
~NickT

www.arcticon.webs.com

#239 Sivrel

Sivrel

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:27 PM

NO ONE EXPECTS THE MALVERNIAN INQUISITION! (Has that Monty Python rip-off been done before?)

#240 Sergeant_Crunch

Sergeant_Crunch

God of Overly Complex Tactics and Tactical Errors

• Members
  • 9334 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 04:00 AM

NO ONE EXPECTS THE MALVERNIAN INQUISITION! (Has that Monty Python rip-off been done before?)

{dripping sarcasm}nope, never been done before{/dripping sarcasm} :lol:

I'm not so sure I'd want to get hit by a missile with a "dog brain" AI.
My blog:  http://scsminimadness.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users