Sign in to follow this  
Sergeant_Crunch

Koda Works Emperor

Well, after a bit of an RL induced break in the middle of painting this one it's finally done.

Emperor-combo.jpg

This one is (very) loosely based on the concept of Dazzle camouflage, or Razzle Dazzle camoflage depending on who you ask. The idea isn't so much to blend in with the surroundings as it is to have so much going on visually at angles that don't correspond with the silhouette to confuse the observer. And let me tell you, this will be the last time I try to paint something like this, especially in reds. (Unless somebody offers me a sizeable amount of money. :blues:)

Colors used were MSP Bright Red, Fire Orange, Sunlight Yellow, and Leather White for the main colors. Washes were Bright Red mixed at about 3:1 with Muddy Brown to shade the red, Phoenix Red for the orange, Marigold Yellow for the yellows, and Cloudy Grey for the white. Keeping the washes from going into areas they weren't supposed to was a real pain. The pattern outlines were done with Stormy Grey (I think I'm going to need about another gallon of this stuff, it's one of my new favorite colors. I've used it on just about everything I've painted in the past few months.) The weapon barrels are done with a several coats of MSP Gunmetal Blue, another favorite of mine. The base is my usual ballast mixture painted with Apple Barrel Territorial Beige and washed with AB Brown Oxide to match the bases on the rest of the 13th Tchinn Ong. I really like Apple Barrel for base work, it's cheap so I don't feel bad about using so much of it.

Enjoy!

edit: do the votey thang

• Like 1

Wonderful paint job. Definiately not what one would expect. ::):

Kind of reminds me of a clown outfit.

I saw this and Picasso was the first thing that popped into my mind.

Nice job, and I love the colors.

@preFunk, if you figure out a quick way to do this let me know!

@Brushmaster, thats ok, by the time you find them, your CAV is toast

@Dargan and papabees, yep ::):, completely unexpected and very Rach

@Aryanun, that's quite the complement as the Dazzle camo was often compared to creations of cubism, and probably the only time that anything I paint be compared with Picasso.

@Jester, Thanks, I may have to put some extra coats of sealer on this one, I think it's going to get a lot of handling.

Reminds me of an old BTech unit I did - the Visual Assault Lance. All 80+ ton mechs, all gaudily painted. I didn't know there was an actual reason for it; I just thought it was kinda kewl to do.

Did you have any problems assembling it?
The peg on the bottom of the torse is a good bit smaller than the hole in the legs. To make matters worse I managed to misalign the hole for my pin. Had to spend a good amount of time holding the torso and legs together until the glue set. Something else, not really assembly related, the flat areas had some pretty bad pits that require some work to smooth out. I accomlished this by burnishing it with the curved end of a paper clip. Didn't use a file because I didn't want to flatten out the curves.

I'm definitely dazzled as well. I rather like what looks like a big white tooth grin on the front of the Emperor in the upper middle picture. ::D:

Ron

PS: When I was painting Battletech minis a long, long time ago, I once put a smiley face on the front of one of the big mechs (85 tons).

What I really like about it is that as you look at it from different angles, the pattern seems to change as different colors become more prominent.