chesme

Legendary Encounters™

*sigh*

Well, Talin designed 'em, at least, but he had to adhere to a *lot* of specs. I suspect these aren't going to be anywhere near the same level as Rackham's new sci-fi pre-paints. Though I hope to be pleasantly surprised--I hate to see my favorite company turn out a mediocre product.

I can't say I'm really happy about the news. While a successful line will strenghthen Reaper, and, even if there's no cut in metal production, the new line will take precious time and resources from other projects

I can't say I'm really happy about the news. While a successful line will strenghthen Reaper, and, even if there's no cut in metal production, the new line will take precious time and resources from other projects

My guess is that, except for the concept art, that this is going to be entirely farmed out. Shouldn't put any additional burdens on anyone besides Talin and the shipping crew. :blink:

Ah, just found out that the early designs-under-constraint were scrapped (whew). So these *should* look pretty decent after all. Henceforth I will think of them as lightweight minis that happen to be pre-base-coated. :;):

Hehe,

Don't worry Paintrix and the rest of you super skilled high end mini painters, there will always be a market for yourr nicly painted figs. consider yours to be the Ferrari of mini's, lol. Reaper is geting into the "Kia" of mini's, maybe it will help people bulk up armies for other games, like GW' s fantasy. Can you imagine an army of reaper quality figs, oh yeah! Hopefully these are sculpted by good sculptors and not that crap WOTC sells or I'm not so sure about the "soon will be the best" remark on the front page. Assuming the sculpts are good this will work. If they are of sub quality sculpt wize, they may sell a few but it won't be the "Best".

I saw the news announcement before I saw this thread and I was wondering if they had April Fools' Day off by a month.

Now I see that they're serious. Well rock on, says I.

I've picked up a bunch of D&D prepainted on eBay for RPGs so I could know what I was getting (no sealed booster packs for me!). I am stoked to see what Reaper puts out there. And not having any of that "collectible" nonsense is a definite point in its favor.

This won't stop me from buying pewter and painting, but it'll be a nice option for filling out those encounters when I really don't feel like paying $12 each for some fig because it's "Rare" and I don't have time to paint them myself. NTM the goofiness of some of the WOTC plastics' sculpts.

So when might we see these previewses, hmmm? ::):

I love this idea , especially since from where I stand , it will help alot with what I call the junior market . Those who don't have the big budgets for miniature purchases like I do , let me tell you , I spend a lot on paints and minis . :blink:

I just hope they're to scale with other Reaper miniatures and not a little small like WOTC stuff . <_<

I'm rather curious about the price point. There is definitely a huge market for prepainted plastic fantasy minis. A WYSIWYG prepainted line of miniatures available widely at sores will be a great asset to the rpg players. Going out to your LGS and buying a couple manticores ready to plop on the table is much better than trying to hunt down a good price on ebay for the D&D minis.

I think at the right price level these have the potential to sell like hotcakes.

As mentioned earlier, plastic prepainted minis are the future. I'm glad to see Reaper going for a piece of the pie. Next step will be using these minis in Warlord.

Two parts of me (the part that has the business sense, and the gamer part) are excited about this development, and one part of me (the painter) is a bit sad.

Heck with just prepainted fantasy, I know a large body of players that would love to see prepainted sci-fi and cyberpunk as well.

I'll reserve judgement until I actually see the minis, but I've heard all this before, and the end result wasn't pretty.

One more thing that hasn't been touched upon here. If these are different sculpts and the price is right, there's nothing to keep us from repainting them. Be rather cool to have double the [insert race/character/monster here] options than before!

The cool thing about prepaints is that you get 'em, play out of the box, and later if you want to customize you can slap your own paint on them. I said it before and I'll say it again, if yall still plan to pursue AICOM, please do PPM for it. I can only afford so much metal.

I think that finding the right price-quality point will be an interesting challenge. The quality should be high enough that people think that it's up to Reaper standards and are willing to spend more than $0.50-$1.00 on them (which seems to be about what some common D&D minis go for), but the cost can't be too high or people won't buy them.

I don't know how much of the line I'd actually get (since I really like the painting angle), but I think that the line is a very good idea, and I'm curious to see the minis and their cost.

Ron