chesme

Legendary Encounters™

That said, for the minis that are sold as a set (like a group of orcs), you might want to think about making up and including a sheet containing some sort of very simplified Warlord rules. Say, drop some stats (DIS, MD, #RA, #MA), have only a few spells (and simplified spell handling), use simplified tracks (some critters can take multiple hits, but no degredation), simplified command/elite rules (mainly, don't worry about it), and only a handful of SAs (if any). Give people something that they can play with if they buy multiple mini packs that also serves as sort of an intro into Warlord.

Warlord Lite...

I agree. But don't change the rules too much from Warlord itself. Where I would trim - the factions, the heroes, the magic and the datacards. Make the lite rules simply a battle between two units of grunts. Each blister could have a simple page of the basic rules, and the stats and abilites for that unit. Game would be playable by simply opening up two blisters and adding a table top, ruler and d10 - much like Wizkid's construction games are (Pirates of the Spanish Main, Race Day, etc).

Unlike a lot of these other games that appeal to the kids and people just getting involved, where they have to wait for each supplement to come out as the game evolves, Warlord is already a pretty mature game. If they start with a lite version of the game, they'll more likely stay with the rules they know. So make the multi-fig packs each mini games in their own right, and go from there. I wouldn't bother with the single fig packs (if any) though. By the time someone is buying those to expand the mini game, they're hooked enough for Warlord.

GW has tried an introductory concept several times - introductory games that serve as a "gateway" to their other games - BattleMasters, Space Fleet among others - but the one thing they did wrong every time was make the intro game a completely different system, with horribly simplified rules. So what ends up happening is the games get bought for the figs, and the rest goes in the trash. Keeping any lite set of rules as close to the original as possible eliminates this.

Legendary Encounters™ prepainted plastic miniatures will be packaged using Reaper's standard blister card. Both single and multiple piece packs will be offered.

I think the single blister pack for pre-paints is a firstish. Rackham will probably do hero minis on blisters for AT-43 before the Reaper line hits, but still, it's something I like to see.

Oh, and I'd kill for some eventual cav plastics as well. I think I will buy a pewter Emperor, because the "Thunk" of that bad boy hitting the table is so much fun... But I also want my swarm of dragonflies! :)

What type of plastic are the figures made of, anyway?

Polystyrene, polyethylene, polyvinyl chloride (i.e. PVC or often simply "vinyl"), ...?

A quick Web search shows me that vinyl is a typical plastic for toys, but I don't see specific mentions of what the D&D prepainted plastics are made of.

I hope that Reaper isn't getting into the PVC business. Despite the physical and chemical advantages of PVC over some other types of plastics, many researchers have shown that it releases especially nasty carcinogens when it is produced, damages the air and water around factories (which in the USA are mostly around the Gulf Coast), and makes children sick because some compounds leach out of their PVC toys. Various public-health advocates and environmental groups are calling for a phase-out of PVC from the marketplace.

http://www.pvcinformation.org/assets/pdf/E...asingOutPVC.pdf

If the Reaper plastics won't be PVC, please say so and eliminate my potential objection.

Derek

What type of plastic are the figures made of, anyway?

I hope that Reaper isn't getting into the PVC business. Despite the physical and chemical advantages of PVC over some other types of plastics, many researchers have shown that it releases especially nasty carcinogens when it is produced,

Derek

Very good point. When Reaper has gone to such trouble to make a paint line that's non-toxic beyond industry standards, with environmentally-friendly additives...I like being able to buy paint and models with a mostly-clear conscience.

Geez, I go on vacation for a couple of days and all heck breaks loose.

This is Great for Reaper. I always wondered when someone was going to start feeding the RPG market with pre-painted non-collectible models.

I'd very much like to see this do well, because pre-painted non-collectible Mecha would totally steal Wizkids thunder...

I went to my FLGS today and mentioned to the manager that Reaper would soon be doing non-blind prepainted plastic fantasy miniartures and I immediately heard this replay from behind me "Reaper are doning what ? ........sweeet!" The manager was also very interested as they run a lot of role playing games out of the store . I love painting my minis , it helps relieve stress and gets me away from the missus but I hate have to paint all my son's LOTR stuff and PPP will be a god send .

I hope the line does good for them, nice to see they will be non random, one reason why I stopped buy packs of DDM & just bought singles, as most of the rares in that line were ehhh I can find better in metal & usually com & uncom was where I liked the minis.

glad to see it won't cut into the metal production, metal is Reaper, but to see them bring out a plastic product was kinda of a shock (figured take a day off from the net & this comes out, ha ha)

like I said I hope everything falls in place for this

RM

Well, this is good news for a lot of people I think. For my game group this is I know. We've spent a small fortune on those plastic d&d minis having about 400+ figures now. The problem being that they come random so getting a figure you want can be a pain if there is no one to swap with. We don't play the game that goes with mins, we just them to sit on the table for d&d night. But now... I can buy orcs if I need orcs or zombies if I need zombies ... wow that is great. So when we want to throw out a table full of one type of monster we don't have to say all the kobolds are goblins also. It will be cool to be able to afford and pick and choose what plastic pre paints you get I think. I love to paint minis, but not everyone does. I'm the only one in my game group that paints figures.

Funny but true, until the MK figures came out the group used little plastic red and blue men plastic men from some fantasy board game where you shoot at castles and people with plastic marbles. All the little guys got numbers on their bottoms with markers and such.

Though back in the early days we went and bought the old metal figures, our whole group had about 9 in total. They were great looking for the time but they always broke or such. that was 20+ years ago.

So,, the lords of metal have accepted the way of the times.

Good show. every good tactician changes.

for those with questions, please read all 8 pages of the post, like I have. the reaperites themsleves have answerred most of the questions one might have. these will be Warlord legal, for open form use, and will start with orcs and dead guys.

my only question: what kind of plastic will be used? most amerikan producers (wizkids, WotC) use a rubbery plastic that is usually collected from dead dinosaur a$$es. GW, evil tyrants they may be, uses higher quality model-making plastic.

and i've yet to hold AT-43 mini's in me' hands and see what they have rollin'

that will decide my commitment.

Mr. Pugh, go forth and conquer with godspeed!

With all the debate and comments, it sounds like Legendary Encounters will be successful and most Reaper consumers will buy them or appreciate them.

With the real truth that metal prices are going up due to the tech industry, what's the chance that Reaper will support the Legendary Encounters with a side line of un-painted plastic miniatures? With costs always an issue and oil and plastic still a bit cheaper than metal I guess, I think this would open yet another window for Reaper to appeal to the masses.

Would painting plastic over metal really be so bad? curious.

when I actually paint something I repaint the DDMs, I just primer them up & put my own paints on them. Some of the sculpts are pretty good when you get away from the nasty factory jobs on them.

just curious but I noticed there was this line name on the product "Ready to Fight™"(RTF), now what will this encompass besides the prepaint plastics?

RM

I really look forward to seeing these. The first set sounds like a must have. Who DOESN'T need more undead and orcs?

-Krztoff

or skeletons

I know encounters with those are just better with more in them & who wants to see pennies as minis :unsure:

RM