Midnight Lurker

Help with pumice paste!

I ordered some pumice paste from Dick Blick. When it finally arrived I opened the jar and said "Ack! This doesn't look right!". I must have hit the wrong button and ordered fine instead of coarse. I really don't want to hassle with a return/reorder... And the fine has a nice texture of it's own that I might be able to use for water effects or something, but I'm not sure it will fly for turf on bases. <_< Do you think I could just mix some sand into it, or will that end up being a mistake?

I ordered some pumice paste from Dick Blick. When it finally arrived I opened the jar and said "Ack! This doesn't look right!". I must have hit the wrong button and ordered fine instead of coarse. I really don't want to hassle with a return/reorder... And the fine has a nice texture of it's own that I might be able to use for water effects or something, but I'm not sure it will fly for turf on bases. <_< Do you think I could just mix some sand into it, or will that end up being a mistake?

I'm not familiar with the different grades of pumice paste. I always get Vallejo paste from Neal. If you want to try mixing some coarser sand into it, I'd recommend giving it a go with a small test batch first. Just take a spoonful of the paste and put it on a palette and mix in some ballast/sand. Smear some of it on a piece of cardboard and let it dry. See what you think of the results.

I don't think mixing sand is the key. It probably extend the drying time quite considerably and lose the effect of its adherence. You could buy some pumice from Michaels and mix the two effectively extend the life of both. You can always try but I don't think sand would hep you much.

I have added sand to pumice paste (mine is the W&N stuff I got at Hobby Lobby) just for some texture varity. I didn't have any troube with drying or adherance, but I didn't use a whole lot.

Just experiment with it and have fun!

I like the Golden brand fine pumice paste for sand areas. It has just enough texture to look right at scale.

I've also used a quick layer of the fine over the coarse to smooth areas that looked a little too coarse (areas that would be underwater like a stream or pond).

my 2c, but YMMV

I like the Golden brand fine pumice paste for sand areas. It has just enough texture to look right at scale.

I've also used a quick layer of the fine over the coarse to smooth areas that looked a little too coarse (areas that would be underwater like a stream or pond).

my 2c, but YMMV

Yeah, that's the same stuff I got. Have you ever tried actually mixing the ballast INTO the fine for a coaser effect, ie cork and pumice basing? I know that I could just play with it and see what happens, but if it won't work for what I need I want to return or exhange and it's hard to return "used" product!

Yeah, I know, it's only like ten bucks and I'm being cheap. But hey, That's mini money!

You should be fine doing that... i.e. adding sand into it (or even gravel) to get a rougher texture.

Back before everyone was finding all the spiffy art store mixes (way back in the late 80's & 90's) we used to just toss sand and/or gravel into paint and go from there. Worked fine, held fine, and if you were really, really worried you could always add a bit of white glue to give it more body. Of course the glue might be more important nowadays since paint it going closer and closer to having no body as opposed to the thick stuff we used to have. ::):

The stuff you pick up at Home Depot (or other home improvement stores) to toss on to wet paint to make the area non-skid is great.

Barring that borrowing a cup of sand out of the beach or from a construction site works well too... you may want to clean it first though.

my 2c, but YMMV

Yeah, that's the same stuff I got. Have you ever tried actually mixing the ballast INTO the fine for a coaser effect, ie cork and pumice basing? I know that I could just play with it and see what happens, but if it won't work for what I need I want to return or exhange and it's hard to return "used" product!

Yeah, I know, it's only like ten bucks and I'm being cheap. But hey, That's mini money!

you can add stuff to it before it cures to give more texture (true with both the Golden and the Vallejo products). The acrylic binder in the pumice pastes is good and strong when it sets.

just curious, I have mini with a large base that I want to put a arid/sandy base on it, would it be better to put a layer of paste on first then some sand (I have a giant bag that you use for lining your lizard's habitat, picked it up a Petco for like 5 or 6 bucks)

just curious, if so I'll have to order some next time I order from warstore (which will be soon, as I see the latest No Q is out)

thanks

RM

just curious, I have mini with a large base that I want to put a arid/sandy base on it, would it be better to put a layer of paste on first then some sand (I have a giant bag that you use for lining your lizard's habitat, picked it up a Petco for like 5 or 6 bucks)

just curious, if so I'll have to order some next time I order from warstore (which will be soon, as I see the latest No Q is out)

thanks

RM

IMO, the Vallejo pumice paste is too coarse to look good as sand. And most real sand will be out of scale. That's why I like having the fine from Golden.

can you get the Golden from places like dickblick?

might have to try that out

RM

Pardon if I missed where this was said:

There's also liquitex textures. I've found 'em at hobby lobby, Michael's, and MJDesigns in the canvas / painting supply sections.

I've used it for gap filling and representing the dirt below the static grass etc. If it's too ridgy, use a brush and water to smooth it out. Last forever if you are mainly using it for individual bases.

On using playsand: I puchased a hand strainer and use it to reduce the larger pebbles from playsand since those tend to be out of scale. $1.00 for 30 lbs. of sand $1.00 for a strainer - years and years of texture.

Big NOTE: If you like using white glue for your bases, primer will add some grip (texture to base grip). I have had white glue/texture peel right off plastic bases in the past.

Rgds,