Sign in to follow this  
Boren Backslap

Background material?

Okay, I want the scoop on the skoli...

I just made my new character after the ONE woman skoli mini y'all have. I decided it was rare wood-elf birth. Once every dozen or so generations, a wood elf family has a child that reveals that wood elves' blood is not as pure as that of other elves...

I made the stats the same as a wood elf, with an extra charisma penalty & the role playing limitation that no one except the wood elves believes that you're a wood elf...

fun idea, but frankly I think the skoli look cool & would love to have a dozen or two, making them a real race, not just a dirty secret. Unlike orcs, they look skilled & intelligent as well as deadly - just my kind of PC ... or NPC

BwaHaHa!!!!!

Well, searching through the Dark Heaven worldbook, I find that ruins of Skoli cities dot the Plains of Erule, around the Maru river, one of which is believed to be a ceremonial city of the dead.

I'm sure there's more, but I can't find it.  I'd guess they're one of the obligatory dead races that left behind ruins to be wondered at.

Dead? But they must be alive - I've seen the miniatures!

oh....

drat that suspended animation. those 2 might be the only skoli left. THAT would be a tragedy!

Like I said, I'm SURE there's more on them, but that's all I can find.  Maybe when Reaper gets out its Dark Heaven world guide or whatever it's called for their D20 offering, there will be more.

Hey, CripDyke,

Great way to justify the use of an unusual figure. We did much the same with Alycsia of the forest(Tall woman with six arms).

The DHA box set has a novella called The 12th Journal of Johann Kruger". This gives some narative background on the Reaper world of Adon. One of the characters is T'Quar a male Skoli of Hakir. He states that the Skoli are not extinct, but that most now live in the Malapango Jungle. Most work as bodyguards and mercenaries.

Unfortunitly, no game stats are given for these interesting individuals. I have begged ReaperRobert (who is working on background) to rectify this situation as soon as possible.

Hmm. Forest dwellers. That works out with the wood-elf connection nicely anyway!

But a whole culture of bodyguards & mercenaries... but they're not well known in the outside world?

Somebody think that through. Either they have to have extensive contact with (and sales of services to) the outside world or SOME of them have produce the food, armor, weapons, etc. Ya just can't be a bodyguard to a bodyguard to a bodyguard & have the economy function all by itself

What... do they think that food grows on trees???

Well, a "Culture of Bodyguards", or "Culture of Warriors" etc generally still is mainly the lower echelons doing the gruntowrk athat actually makes society work, and the upper classes are the bodyguards and warriors.  I'm thinking classical Sparta, here, where the Spartans were the upper classes, the warriors, and it was the masses of oppressed Helots who actually did stuff.