Sign in to follow this  
Jubilee

2990: Crypt of the Vampiress

Hey all!

This lady has been lying around on my workbench for a while, and I just haven't been able to figure out how to paint her until the new Iron Painter (at Wyrd Miniatures) theme was announced: This round it's black! I thought she'd make a good looking drow.

Her flesh is painted black, highlighted up with dark elf highlight. The dress is black highlighted with ashen brown. And the hair is icy gray highlighted with linen white/pure white. Not much else going on with her, really.. :) I was going to do her hair some other shade of black, but I decided that if she were going to be a drow, she had to have white hair. :) The hair got a bit overexposed. ;( New camera, though! Yay!

drow2.jpg

drow6.jpg

More images at my website

The execution of the paint job is great. I like the drow take on her. I just would have done the clothes a different color. Right now the color is just too close to that of the skin color for me. I would like to see a little more contrast between the skin tones and clothing.

Excellent work on a difficult colour scheme. Your blacks look superb! I love the different highlight shades and it really pulls this model together and works great!

I actually like the dark clothing on her, but I'm not so sure about the hair. Almost seems too white. Are the pics washing out the shading in it, Ali? That appears to be the case, as I can't see any definition in the hair whatsoever. I'm betting that it (the hair) probably looks much better in person.

Anyway, I like. ::):

~v

That is the BEST looking drow I have seen.

Great highlighting... I along with most, have a hard time with black... that looks great.

I concur with the colour of the cloth though (shoulda bin purple!!!) but I guess you were going with the theme...

I'm gonna use this one as a reference Next time I am doing black. Thanks for sharing.

Good job on the blacks, they are distinguishable from each other, though as others have said, a slightly greater difference in the highlight colors would have been nice. Overall, very cool ::):

The hair did get washed out alot in the photos.. couldn't get the black properly without washing out the white, it seems.. I did about 5 photo sessions and that's the best I got.. ;( I may try more pictures tonight before I put her on ebay, depends on how much time I have.. :)

Thanks all!

/ali

cool idea, and nice execution. the base is wild! I see her in the dark, and the eyes glowing. I think the hair could have been brought down just a bit.

Very cool.. excellent job.